ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday I plasti-dipped my back emblems as well as that little hood scoop trim piece (dont know the exact name). My roof and side mirrors were already wrapped in matte black. Let me know what you guys think! My next endeavor will be to plasti-dip the induction cowls that are in front of the front tires. Does anyone know how to remove these?

IMG_20120519_164152.jpg IMG_20120519_162939.jpg IMG_20120519_162605.jpg IMG_20120519_145009.jpg

·
Registered
265 Posts
I was actually thinking about doing the same exact thing. Did you take that part of the hood scoop out or did you just mask it off? Lol, better question is, can it even be taken off? It looks awesome though, I like the look.

·
Registered
265 Posts
That's awesome! Great job btw. I have a friend that paints cars so I was thinking about getting this permanently done if I liked the plasti dip. I have a WRB and I'm not sure if I'd want a glossed finish on it or not, flat black might just look better.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah they flat black looks really nice on our cars as an accent piece. You could do plasti dip and if you don't like it just peel it off. That's the best part about this stuff! I could see gloss looking real nice on WRB though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

·
Cheeky Bastage!
2,730 Posts
i really want to do the scoop also, I tried 'photoshopping' it before, not a great job and i really wanna see it in person to get a better idea (plasti-dip would be the best idea I suppose)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was really happy with how it turned out. It is really clean.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
265 Posts
i really want to do the scoop also, I tried 'photoshopping' it before, not a great job and i really wanna see it in person to get a better idea (plasti-dip would be the best idea I suppose)

What were you thinking about doing with the scoop, flat black or glossy? Whatever you end up doing, post pics, I really want to do the same thing, leaning towards a glossy look.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
So yesterday I plasti-dipped my back emblems as well as that little hood scoop trim piece (dont know the exact name). My roof and side mirrors were already wrapped in matte black. Let me know what you guys think! My next endeavor will be to plasti-dip the induction cowls that are in front of the front tires. Does anyone know how to remove these?
Nice work, that turned out great! I was about to point you to Stu_Gotti for how to remove the cowls, but I saw your post on his thread already. :thumbup:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Ooo I want to do this! How do I go about it? Myself or vendor? Never heard of this technique. I have WRB car as well think I'd go flat black on scoop.

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
wow.. that looks really good. I'll have to admit at the title I was worried.. but damn man nice work. Now ya just need to hit the bottom of the grill to tie it in ;)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ooo I want to do this! How do I go about it? Myself or vendor? Never heard of this technique. I have WRB car as well think I'd go flat black on scoop.
First step: Go to local hardware store and buy some plasti-dip lol

Step 2: follow this dudes instructions on how to remove the piece from the car. DIY hood scoop insert removal and scoop wrap.

Step 3: Apply plasti-dip to the piece. One coat roughly every 20-30 minutes. (I did a total of 4)

Step 4: Let dry in a dry place that is out of direct sunlight and has little to no wind for a couple hours

Step 5: Re-apply part and put the heat shield back on

Step 6: Go to an empty parking lot and take some pics while feeling accomplished

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
wow.. that looks really good. I'll have to admit at the title I was worried.. but damn man nice work. Now ya just need to hit the bottom of the grill to tie it in ;)
Thanks man! I appreciate the feedback. I was ready to get flammed pretty hard but so far everyone has liked it. As long as I like it though is what makes it worth while. But you are right, now I look at the car and Im like "damn, how would that piece look if I were to make it black?" haha. My next course of action is to do the little induction pieces in front of the wheels. Then I will do the bottom of the bumper like your saying. It gives it a nice clean look.

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
Not sure how I feel about this just yet...I have seen one car locally (SWP '11 sedan) that did this....it was kind of distracting when driving in the opposite direction.....a big gaping black hole on an otherwise white car. Though, it does also look kind of menacing.

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
hahaha.. big gaping hole.. dude my whole car is black :p

I have a question though, supposedly you can peel this stuff right back off later. My question is can you scrub the bugs out of it without it peeling up?

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
I think it was more a contrast of shiny white pearl vs flat black, with a sharp defined cut off, that caused the gaping hole vibe, it just looked like part of my field of vision was somehow missing

·
Cheeky Bastage!
2,730 Posts
Are those bugeye stockers? :rotfl: That's kicking it old school!
they are for my winter wheels, picked them up off of nastysock for 150 buck. theyre not perfect, but who cares for that price and for winters

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hahaha.. big gaping hole.. dude my whole car is black :p

I have a question though, supposedly you can peel this stuff right back off later. My question is can you scrub the bugs out of it without it peeling up?
Im pretty sure you can scrub it no problem. The only way it peels off is if you start from a corner or pierce it and then start peeling. Its pretty cool stuff!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts