Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at a light turning right. And the guy behind me honks because i was 1 second late. His car had a cf hood nice gold paint job and the usual aggressive body kits that 510s have. He had some nice wheels and exhuast. So im turning and i start gunning it because he honked and bam i hear him on the pedal. The two mexican guys are laughing and im gunning it through 1st and 2nd and when i hit 3rd i hear them chirp and bam they start passing me by. Dang i got beat. HAHAHA i was laughing because it was such a dinky car. I know that it is RWD but I was wondering if anyone knew the engine specs on the usual racer datsun 510s. 2 bad it wasnt off the line.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
They're very light, but the original engine was like 1.3 liter and not very potent. You can drop a ton of random cool motors in em, like sentra det20t's and they'll MOVE. My buddy has a 72 510 with the stock motor bored over and some other engine work, bolt ons, and some suspension work. He beat my 97 mustang GT back when I had it (stock, auto) so it was probably good for low 15s or so. Not blazing... but decent, and man that thing can handle!

·
Registered
11 Posts
i have a vid of a datsun 280z with a supercharged ls1 motor:D , it's pretty impressive. also have a a vid of the same car beating a street bike. some company sells kits for anything older then 73 to fit ls1's into.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I have seen 510s with sr20detts and the the TT from a 300zx, they are light as hell, and can really move. I LOVE 510s so much, definately going to be one my future project cars.

In case anybody has no idea what a 510 is....

·
Registered
60 Posts
Seeing as how i used to own a SR20DE powered car, and plan on in the very near future on doing a SR20DET swap into a 510 i guess i can post hehe. Anyways about the SR20DETT i have no idea why you would want a twin turbo on the SR20, actually i have only EVER heard of one TT SR20 and it wasn't even very functional. I guess one could make the case of a progressive turbo setup, but i really dont think its nessary at all in this case. Also a side note, the SR20 can handle around 400HP(prob a little less) on the stock bottem end. These engines we're way engineered. Btw the newer prodcution SR20's wern't as able as the older high port versions, very much so for the 2000+ models. Also the SR20 has gone out of production, but you can find it in any SE-R(NON 2002+), Sentra SE-L, 97+ Sentra SE, and all Infinity G20/G20t models. And no the t in G20t does not mean turbo, there we're never any production SR20DET sold in the states, however there we're many sold else where. Also there are slight differences between the SR20DE's and the DET's such as oil squrters in the head and lowercompression etc to accomodate the boost. Hope this provides some more info.

Also while i remember there are also a few VG30DETT 510's floating around, if you dont know thats the Nissan 300ZX TT engine.

So the moral of the story is, if you see a good looking 510 coming up on you fast, get out of the way ;)

·
Registered
201 Posts
The most popular swap is a 13b from a RX7TT. My brother and I built a 510 with a 350 RWHP 13b out of a 93 RX7. Thing was super fast and could waste 03 Cobras, but the tunning of the 13b and the week frame made the car a pain in the ass. My brother sold the car and 5 other classics and purchased a 2004 Viper. My father has a 1972 RX2 that runs 10.90 @ 122 with a fully built 13b from a 1987 tubo RX7.

·
Registered
847 Posts
NJwrbT-WRX said:
I have seen 510s with sr20detts and the the TT from a 300zx, they are light as hell, and can really move. I LOVE 510s so much, definately going to be one my future project cars.

In case anybody has no idea what a 510 is....
THATS the car I was looking for for that "If you could have" post or whatever its called. I had no idea what it was, aside from a Datsun, but I love that car for some reason :thumbs:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Was it a 2 door or 4 door? If it was 2 doors and silverish blue in color, then it might have been the one my brother sold on ebay to a Puerto Rican in PA.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Soory you said gold.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nissan engine swaps are sweet...
SR20DET
RB25DET
if you go to unstablehybrids they have 510s with all kinds of engines, i think theyre called bluebirds, or are they different cars?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
SpeedKills said:
THATS the car I was looking for for that "If you could have" post or whatever its called. I had no idea what it was, aside from a Datsun, but I love that car for some reason :thumbs:
thats Darius's car...he lives on my street out here in the bay area. check out his site at darius240z.com

·
Registered
90 Posts
When i was at the track there was this guy with a 280Z running low-mid 12s but i didnt hear any turbo sounds..?..so my buddy with a 3rd gen rx7 trying to get in to 12s, so he went and asked the guy what he had..turns out he had a small block chevy motor.Thing was fast:D

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
wrxpaul said:
When i was at the track there was this guy with a 280Z running low-mid 12s but i didnt hear any turbo sounds..?..so my buddy with a 3rd gen rx7 trying to get in to 12s, so he went and asked the guy what he had..turns out he had a small block chevy motor.Thing was fast:D
what track was it? My friend John has a black 280z with a 350 in it...it used to be blown, now he has a new 350, and he's waiting on a turbo.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I've read articles about 510's and dreamed about them, but never have seen them in real life....

I hope to either have a 240z or a 510 as a project car one day and do some crazy swap.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Inlinesixer said:
Nissan engine swaps are sweet...
SR20DET
RB25DET
if you go to unstablehybrids they have 510s with all kinds of engines, i think theyre called bluebirds, or are they different cars?
Got a link?
I searched for unstablehybrids but got computer stuff.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts