ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will my stock Sti turbo/IC/injectors... etc swap well into my Cobb stg 2 wrx? Sooner or later I'll be modding my sti. I figure I might as well use those parts for my wrx if they go well together....

Any thoughts or suggestions?

·
Administrator
26,609 Posts
The turbo is a direct bolt on, but requires fuel management other than AP because they don't have a map for it. The injectors don't fit because they are side feed and ours are top feed, and the intercooler will only fit with modified brackets.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trainrex- So should I even bother trying to swap the parts into the wrx? How does the VF39 respond to our cars?

Thx for the quick response btw :cool:

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Modifying the brackets on the intercooler is easy. All we have to do is take a metal piece, mark and drill off the bolt holes, and take it to a muffler shop, pay 5 bucks and have them weld it to the original bracket. Injectors I don't know about the USDM working but the JDM STi pinks will work. The VF39 will also work but you need EM. I'm sure someone has already tuned for a 39 map.

·
Administrator
26,609 Posts
AsianWRX said:
Trainrex- So should I even bother trying to swap the parts into the wrx? How does the VF39 respond to our cars?

Thx for the quick response btw :cool:
Anytime. I've heard (once again regurgitated info) that the VF39 doesn't spool as fast as a VF34 on our cars. I've heard it is a decent upgrade, but the money is better spent on the VF34. Contact GDR for the intercooler brackets. He can modify a set for you.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My efforts will mainly be on the Sti at this point. I was just hoping that I can inherit those parts to the wrx cuz I'm definitely not shelling out for a new turbo on that car in the near future.

Just bought the AP a couple months ago, so no plans to get rid of it. I think if there is a map of the VF39 out there for the AP, I'll consider it since anything is an upgrade from the stock turbo :D

Boy... those JDM pinks are not gonna be cheap...

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BTW, is the VF39 ball bearing? What are the different characteristic of the two turbos other than 1 taking longer to spool than the other?

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
39 is smaller than 34 so it's not going to push as much air which means less HP

·
Registered
174 Posts
4EAT w/mods

From what I have read, the VF35 is the best turbo to use with the 4eat. It spools faster, and is a perfect match. It uses the VF30 body, w/ different vanes, I believe. In Europe & Australia, I
understand it quite often comes as an OEM item. It would be nice if Cobb would do a map for stg. 2-1/2 91 & 93 octane, using this turbo.

·
Princess Moderator
14,838 Posts
STi TURBO ON MY 03 WRX

I have a 03 WRX with the STi turbo.....Gives me High end power...I'm Sponsored by a shop (PRE)which has done all the work. They are going to upgrade my fuel system: which is gettin STi injectors...Fuel Rail and bigger fuel pump.... It can be done.

Love my set up. Really happy with it. :thumbup:

·
Princess Moderator
14,838 Posts
ALSO HAVE A LEVEL 10 STALL CONVERTER

At the line...I can HOLD it FULL boost...15psi , right out of the gates...and the STi turbo...picks up in the end. Any Questions.. PM me...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts