ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm making up a matlab script to help in CL MAF scaling. With CAN logging, unless I turn the BAUD rate way down, it's silly if not impossible to use excel. After about an hour drive or so, logging all necessary parameters, I have something like 230k lines of data to filter. After filtering, I'm coming out at about 100k.

So far the matlab script cruises through the data without a snag. Takes about .5s each filtering operation. User input (dMAFv/dt and IATMax after the plot comes up) takes longer than the data crunching. Pretty incredible once I remembered I'm in Matlab (for loops = BAD... tricky matrix math/tricks = GOOD).

Anyhow, I am using Williaty's approach (HOWTO: One Man's Way of Scaling a MAF - NASIOC). He states that he is cutting corners multiple times here, and since I'm in matlab, I might as well not cut the corners.

Anybody have any reading that I can work through to get 'the most accurate' CL MAF calibration possible? I know that it will still require multiple iterations, but I figure I might as well get it as close as possible with each iteration when I have the tools available.

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
Search on Romraider "MAF scaling". Also look in their "how to guides" and " tuning tools/worksheets" section. Why are you concentrating on closedloop MAF so much? It's not a big deal due to the fact it uses O2 sensor feed back. I would be more concerned with openloop MAF scaling. Also the closedloop corrections will always change due to different gasoline quality and blends.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Search on Romraider "MAF scaling". Also look in their "how to guides" and " tuning tools/worksheets" section. Why are you concentrating on closedloop MAF so much? It's not a big deal due to the fact it uses O2 sensor feed back. I would be more concerned with openloop MAF scaling. Also the closedloop corrections will always change due to different gasoline quality and blends.
That is what I have been doing for the most part. I will dig through some other tools as well for some ideas eventually, but not this time around.

Not per say 'concentrating', just covering the first step of the way. It appears that most of the stuff here is applicable to injectors as well (both scaling and latency).

I'd like to make one of these for most big tuning aspects. First, its next to impossible to work with large amounts of CAN logging in excel or any spreadsheet. Second, mostly for my benefit. I'm a nerd and learning the math behind it really pieces it together for me. Thrid, I've messed up using the RomRaider multiple times and am now very angry with it. I now know every way not to use it, and in turn, probably could very easily use it, but I am holding off out of spite. Also - this allows me to leave my laptop at home, and pause/pick up logging as long as I am in similar weather conditions.

From what I understand, the map that adjusts the scaling due to ambient temp changes is pretty terrible. This will cause more of an issue than gas. Either way, I know it's not a perfect science.

For what its worth, also ordered Engine Management: Advanced Tuning by Greg Banish to read through when I have some time. Can't hurt to start reading some books on the matter. Meant to a while ago, but never got around to it.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is what I have been doing for the most part. I will dig through some other tools as well for some ideas eventually, but not this time around.

Not per say 'concentrating', just covering the first step of the way. It appears that most of the stuff here is applicable to injectors as well (both scaling and latency).

I'd like to make one of these for most big tuning aspects. First, its next to impossible to work with large amounts of CAN logging in excel or any spreadsheet. Second, mostly for my benefit. I'm a nerd and learning the math behind it really pieces it together for me. Thrid, I've messed up using the RomRaider multiple times and am now very angry with it. I now know every way not to use it, and in turn, probably could very easily use it, but I am holding off out of spite. Also - this allows me to leave my laptop at home, and pause/pick up logging as long as I am in similar weather conditions.

From what I understand, the map that adjusts the scaling due to ambient temp changes is pretty terrible. This will cause more of an issue than gas. Either way, I know it's not a perfect science.

For what its worth, also ordered Engine Management: Advanced Tuning by Greg Banish to read through when I have some time. Can't hurt to start reading some books on the matter. Meant to a while ago, but never got around to it.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RomRaider • View topic - Matlab scripts to load and analyze large log files

If you injectors are stock you don't even need to touch their settings. Have you verified that there is an issue with your MAF scaling?
I don't plan on touching the injector scaling by any means. I like knowing how the scaling relates to the grand scheme of things.

It's hard to tell if its my MAF scaling or my load correction. It's reading a decent amount of both +/- FBKC, but I'm fairly sure most of it (99%) is below 1300rpm where it doesn't matter. Still getting a crap load of AFL/AFC, however.

I'll attach a long drive I did with the MAF tool. This one got screwed up and wasn't applied because I didn't open the ROM first. I'm going to do a few CL iterations this weekend I think. I'm still planning on working out the script eventually, if nothing else for my own benefit.

I can throw up a plot of my FBKC over the RPM band as well once I get home.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts