ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two days ago I dropped a nickel and it landed on the edge without falling over... people tell me I have good luck.

Like some of ya'll, from a full stop and a fully depressed clucth pedal, shifting into first may result in gear grindage. So I brought my scooby to Flatirons Subaru to change out the tranny fluid because I don't have the tools to do it myself (this was the day after I dropped the nickel). $65 to $70 to change out the gear oil :eek: So I described my problem, techs took it for a test spin, and to my surprise, they replicated the problem :thumbup: 30k miles maintaince was performed (in which they replaced the gear oil) and now I'm at 54k miles. They tell me, hey, you're still within the powertrain warranty, we will "rebuild" your transmission for free! :tongue: Parts are on order and the scooby is going back Monday morning. Plus, Ian washed my car for free too! What great luck I have! :wiggles:

So.... bad syncros? Guess I'll have to wait until after Monday to find out.

·
Registered
332 Posts
SEE... SH!T... WOW I P!SSED!!!! I took my car in for the same thing and they told me to press the cluch all the way in!!! Well DUHHHHH... I didn't know that, nowonder when I try to put it in gear it grinds! What did they take me for a MORON... it still does it. Looks like I need to take my car to flatirons.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Mine does the same thing... I think every WRX, except one that I know of hates going back into first once movinr... Hope they fix it with the rebuild.

·
Banned
8,368 Posts
I changed my tranny goo at 30k. Grinding started around 40k. I put in Redline MT-90 just over a week ago and have had no grinding... and I've done like a 600 miles in that week, too... :(

·
Registered
34 Posts
you are lucky, our wrx glass blown trannies suck. dog box is a hard daily driver . i am actively looking for a j-spec 6 speed (be careful of the u.s. electronics), that is a strong tranny . to get a free tranny you are lucky . do you have any mods to your car or at least extreme mods and that is what makes the tranny free ??

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
scoobyblu said:
you are lucky, our wrx glass blown trannies suck. dog box is a hard daily driver . i am actively looking for a j-spec 6 speed (be careful of the u.s. electronics), that is a strong tranny . to get a free tranny you are lucky . do you have any mods to your car or at least extreme mods and that is what makes the tranny free ??
i don't think the WRX has a "glass blown tranny" at all.

what mileage does the power train warranty go to? (not that i'd have a prayer. my short shifter alone voids that.

dR

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
scoobyblu said:
I'm not getting a new tranny, just a "rebuild." I have mods, but I haven't touched the tranny. See my website for my mods if you're interested.

scoobyblu said:

i don't think the WRX has a "glass blown tranny" at all.

what mileage does the power train warranty go to? (not that i'd have a prayer. my short shifter alone voids that.

dR
Powertrain warranty goes until 60k miles.

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
you dont have power mods that's why they did it...if you had dp/up/catback..i doubt they would of done it under warranty

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AwdTurboWrx said:
you dont have power mods that's why they did it...if you had dp/up/catback..i doubt they would of done it under warranty
That's what I love about being different. My mods only make my car slower! :cool: Like the upgraded brakes and other bits that are adding weight! I recently installed new gauge faces, I'll get some pics and add em to my website this weekend. :p

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
dark_rex said:

dR
I have a Kartboy SS with Kartboy bushings and got my tranny rebuilt no questions asked. It was popping out of gears 1 and 2 and grinding a little into 2nd gear. I told them that I had them in and they said it wasn't a problem. Got new 1st and 2nd gears with new synchros for each.

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
turbo turtle said:
That's what I love about being different. My mods only make my car slower! :cool: Like the upgraded brakes and other bits that are adding weight! I recently installed new gauge faces, I'll get some pics and add em to my website this weekend. :p

haha that's cool ...whatever makes you happy..congrats tho..even with minor mods..it should probably be considered a miracle they worked on it..good 2 know warranty does sometimes help

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
I changed to Mobil 1 about 1000 miles ago and my tranny hates it. It grinds almost every time I put it in 1st whether my car is moving or not. I let my friend drive, he double clutched and it still did it. Subaru trannies are just talkative...

My post count is the year I was born (1986).

·
Banned
8,368 Posts
Zoombaru said:
I changed to Mobil 1 about 1000 miles ago and my tranny hates it. It grinds almost every time I put it in 1st whether my car is moving or not. I let my friend drive, he double clutched and it still did it. Subaru trannies are just talkative...

My post count is the year I was born (1986).
http://www.cobbtuning.com/tech/gearoil/index.html

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
So the rex is in the shop as of this morning. No word yet about what is happening with the tranny. But they did give me a 2004 Outback... 1.5k miles and still smells very new. This thing is quite nice, handles well and acceleration and braking is good. Includes nice features such as motorized seats, heated seats, heated side view mirrors, heated wiperblades, rear wiperblade with sprayer, and dual cup holder for the rear seats. It's very comfortable and I'm really enjoying the ride and listening to the auto weatherband built into the radio/CD player. The automatic is a nice for a change and the better ground clearance is very useful offroad in the mud. It's quiet while driving and it makes a little beeping sound when you unlock/lock via remote rather than a loud ole HONK!

So I give the 2004 Outback a :thumbup: Thanks for the free ride Flatirons!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok boys and girls. Got the rex back today. Here's the replacement list...

1st Gear Driven
1-2 Hub and Slider
All Synchros on Both Shafts
Locknuts, Gaskets, and Seals

Thank you Flatirons for the rebuild! Oh and for the record, the drivebelts for the A/C compressor were adjusted (as per request) and now I don't get that loud ole CLUNK when I turn on the A/C. All for the total cost of $31.35 :D

Oh and thanks for the wash Ian! Peace out!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts