Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this is cockpit & cabin but it's pretty dead there. I hope I can post this here too since I want it in order to tune my "Engine Performance" :)

--------anyways----------

What's the best horsepower calculator you can get for the wrx? All I know of is the G-Tech but don't some turbo timers have them too? What about any other brands that might be better?

I know they aren't all completely accurate but I think having one for the purposes of seeing how the car responds to changes in boost, temperature, modifications, passengers, and stuff like that would be really beneficial. Even though they're not accurate compared to other test methods, they are accurate against themselves for comparison purposes right? A good way to tune anything that you can.

Features I'm looking for would be 0-60, 1/4mile, horsepower, g-force, etc. I've never used one but seen one used, so I don't really know what other options they might have.

I'd want this mostly to see the effects of modifications and to help me to tune my AVC-R.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I have a PM-ID and works Fine.
I want to buy the G-tech too,,so i can have 2 parameters:D
lets start a group buy?
TUca

·
Registered
424 Posts
Apex'i Speed Meter also will do this, but it uses info from the tach rather than G-force meters.

-Jason

·
1,263 Posts
I have the Blitz Power Meter iD and it is a toy - it has some 'bling bling' factor but useless as a tuning tool. Do not waste your money.

If you are really looking to tune your car - invest in a wideband O2 sensor and if you want to measure your 1/4 mile times - the G-tech is pretty good (and doesn't have to be wired in).

Cheers,

Andrew

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i meant to use the gtech for it to measure my approximate wheel horsepower and then measure it again after trying a modification or some AVC-R tweaks or seeing how the ECU being reset affects the car and how long it takes to get full power back, things like that

the gtech's horsepower estimate is *fairly* accurate from what i hear, and it will give pretty stable results each time it's run, so even if the TRUE horsepower isnt accurate, the improvement or loss of power will be accurate

i'm gonna look into the apex'i speed meter too now, that sounds interesting

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
there's a guy on ebay selling brand new gtech's for 89.99+shipping

his username has "gtech" in it and he has like 500 sales so im sure he's reliable

that's just for the old model though, not the new one. im not sure if he sells the new one but if you want the old one i doubt even a group buy would be cheaper than that

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
best price i found on that is 235+shipping by looking at a yahoo search on the new one

ebay has some that go for 210-230

id love the new one but i dont think i can afford it, and i hear the old one is just as accurate in what it does

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have the Apexi RSM w/G-sensor. It's pretty cool and although the wiring is a lil technical for those not mechanically inclined, It's pretty fancy. It's measures a whole lotta things. I've yet to figure out how to configure the WHP or it's acurracy. I registered 187 whp when the car was dead stock? I usually tune the car using the 0-300m meter and make adjustments as necessary or try different types of launching. It's blue, backlit and pretty. I think the G-tech Pro is nice since it's just plug and play. But the Apexi is mos def more appealing...

-alex

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have ordered the Gtech Pro Competition which will ship with the updated software.

I ordered it directly from Gtech. Their next shipment should arrive in early Feb. It was $249. I'll post a test report after it arrives.

The unit is allegedly accurate to within less than a tenth of a second for 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. Forum searches tend to support this claim. Some serious rocket science is apparently incorporated into this device. We shall see.

Regards:cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts