ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The GF and I got into a interesting debate last night and I would like to see where you guys stand on this. We were comparing who is the better of the two drivers...me vs her. It should be noted that in my first year of driving I had two accidents. She has also had two...once because of black ice the other wasnt her fault.

My arguement was althrough I've wrecked twice non of them were due to bad driving...it was bad decision making. I learned how to drive in a mustang and I drove it all winter. I've driven out of 180's, side way spins, and full on the brake fishtails more time then I can count in that car. I've had several people (Including her) be in the car while tearring up some back road and they have all stated it's like we arent even speeding at all. I tend to drive on the more aggreissive side of life (Hardly anyone ever passes me on the belt way) but again I dont fly up on people nor do I tail gate I just make my safe, quick moves to the lanes I want and pass people. I refuse to follow to closely and if the only way around someone is to run up on someone and cut the other car off I'll just wait till another chance comes up. I'm also in my exit lane 2 exits beforehand where as not to have to cut over four lanes in a heart beat.

Her on the other hand will tail gate someone to no end before passing them on the belt way. It doesnt matter if it's only her and the person she's following she almost never changes lanes. She drives very conservitive speed wise, but she waits till the last second before ever touching her brakes. When she rolls up to a stop sign, if her brakes were to go out, there would be no time for the old E brake at all. She has had more "close calls" on the beltway and local roads then me also. I contribute this to me always knowing where cars are. If I dont see a car that was behind me last time I look I will locate them before moving lanes.

On to the third girl in the debate. She has never wrecked but EVERYONE is afraid to drive with her. She scares the living crap out of people, not cause she drive fasts...she just cant drive.

Her whole arguement was atleast me and (insert friends name) havent had two accidents that were are faults. So that makes them a better driver.

My stance was take three cars that are identical...and I will out drive both of you on any course. She's convinced that driving fast and safe is something anyone can do. If anyone could hope in a vette and put it through it's paces there would be no nascar or Scca racing cause you'd be doing what everyone could do. Driving take talent like everything else.

So for the long post...i'd offer a syn. but I cant figure out how to sum that all up.

·
Registered
188 Posts
My arguement was althrough I've wrecked twice non of them were due to bad driving...it was bad decision making.

Bad Decision Making = Bad Driving

Not all the time...But when you made that bad decision...you were not drive good

Just My .02 cents

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
People who tailgate and put on their brakes at the last minute are not bad drivers, but they are courting disaster.

For example...
I had an 1991 acura integra coupe in NYC. In 1997, I was driving on one of the roads that crosses central park (79th I think). It goes rapidly from four lanes to 2. I went at the green light and traffic immediately stopped where the lanes merged. I stopped with plenty of time, but knowing I had kickass honda brakes, I did it late as usual. TUrns out the truck behind me didn't have brakes that were as good. He nailed me, crushing my car between a cab with a reinforced bumper (illegal I think) and his rear bumper. Car totaled, me with whiplash and pissed as hell.

Braking late is one of hte worst things you can do. Never count on the brakes of the person behind you to be as good as yours. Tailgating is so irritating I could puke on it.

The third girl? She's just lucky.

You sir, win the better driver award.

·
Registered
712 Posts
"Better" is so subjective here. Better in what way? I think there are skilled drivers, and careful drivers, and sometimes (not often enough) both skilled and careful drivers. You, sir, are skilled. She is not careful. I give you the win here, but by the slimmest of margins. Public roads are not the place to need to recover from a 180. I'm not saying that I'm totally innocent of poor judgement, either. In fact, I slid the back end twice yesterday (on purpose).

My father in law terrifies me, but he has not had an accident in at least 30 years. I try not to look when he's driving, but more often that not, we find some tactful way to have me drive everywhere. Oddly enough, he was a professional long-haul truck driver. I don't consider him a good driver AT ALL, even being accident-free. It's just a matter of time before he screws up and hurts someone.

My Mom is an excellent driver overall; I've been with her when she recovers from a spin and when she avoids someone else doing something stupid. I have total confidence in her, and she's also smoother on a 5-spd than anyone I know. Zero accidents since she was 16, which adds up to ~40 years of safe, highly skilled driving.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
dielectric said:
"Better" is so subjective here. Better in what way? I think there are skilled drivers, and careful drivers, and sometimes (not often enough) both skilled and careful drivers. You, sir, are skilled. She is not careful. I give you the win here, but by the slimmest of margins.
I totally agree. If you want to measure "better" by the standards set forth in the insurance industry, those two girls are better drivers than you. So it really depends on how you definte "better". But it sounds like you're a much more skilled driver than either of those two.

·
Registered
11,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm with you guys on the wording...Better is kind of vague. My point was that you cant toss just anyone into a situation and expect them to be able to handle it. Alot of it comes down to expirence and training like in anything else. Fisrt thing it did when I had my car my dad took me up to the school lot and we went through Snow braking (W/O ABS) and with abs and just how to handle the car when your on ice, rain, etc.

When all else fails most people will go back to training.

I would never ask her to play me in field hockey or softball because I'd get killed (she's been playing both for year), the point I was trying to tell her is basicaly the same...dont say you can drive fast and safe with someone who does it often when you yourself dont do it at all.

On a side note.....she did impress me the other day when she was behind a STi. She said "That guy was driving the hell out of that car...it was like a machine. I thought he was going to lose it 3-4 times around different turns and it just held the road like nothing" Spoking like a true Fan EH?

·
Registered
863 Posts
The GF and I got into a interesting debate
Mistake! :D

Just because someone has had no accidents doesn't make them a good driver. If you're scaring your passengers, not paying attention, and not playing nicely with other road users, you're probably not a good driver. Habitual tailgating = Bad Driver.

Of course, getting into wrecks is also a clue that you should re-think your driving habits.

I love when people say, "I'm a good driver. 15 years without a single ticket!" :rolleyes:

Worst driver I ever knew got into minor accidents frequently AND scared his passengers half to death. He was awful, and when he wanted a motorcycle we managed to talk him out of it.

Just remember: 85% of people believe they're "above average drivers." ;)

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
To see how u rate at driving just go to mazda rev it up :) I placed in the top 20% My friends think im a really good driver for some reason, like for example were watching WRC and their like oh ryan could do that! Im like WTF!!?? do you not understand how freaking awesome those drivers are!? Anyways I just know how to take corners cuz of racing school and video games. By no means to i consider myself good at racing. But i do consider myself good at driving on the public road. Im courteous, aware of other cars, and do not take my car to the limit when there is the slightest possible chance ppl besides me can be hurt.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Re: Re: Good Driver Debate REALLY LONG

iup200 said:
My arguement was althrough I've wrecked twice non of them were due to bad driving...it was bad decision making.

Bad Decision Making = Bad Driving

Not all the time...But when you made that bad decision...you were not drive good

Just My .02 cents
what he said

·
Registered
712 Posts
Spectre186 said:
... My friends think im a really good driver for some reason, like for example were watching WRC and their like oh ryan could do that! Im like WTF!!?? do you not understand how freaking awesome those drivers are!? ...
This hadn't really hit home until I watched WRC and SCCA ProRally footage in the same afternoon. There's a world of difference between WRC and ProRally, and another world between ProRally and me. Amazing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts