Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The HKS EVC IV is only $320 (retail $600) You can get it through www.importhookup.com with the 20% off coupon at carparts.com, search for model number 4503-RA008 and it will show up for $395 and after the discount it will be $319 something. Hopefully this will save you guys some money.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
sorry to sound stupid, but this is my first turbo car, so i need some things explained to me. so, what is a EVC? what does it do, what benefits does it provide. thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Marty,

It's a Boost Controller, it basically allows you to control how much power you want to push when you want to, basically a easy way to gain horses only at times that you want. Look around on the forum and I think a few people do have the EVC installed... something that you might want to invest in is the Turbo Timer (keeps your car on when you turn off your car for a certain amount of time so the oil in your turbo doesn't kill your car) meanwhile remember to keep your car on for at least 20-30 seconds for normal driving and a minute or two if you drove hard. The EVC is a really good deal that's why I brought it up, and if you are thinking about buying the EVC get it before the end of April becuase that's when the 20% off deal ends... oh and you can also get some autometer gauges etc. there, so look into that.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, so the boost controller takes over for the stock one and your able to control boost levels? So once you use one of these what boost levels are you running at. Does anyone know the potentials of both the turbo and the engine to both produce and handle X amount of boost. Just curious.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey BlazinWRX, just to tell you guys, the deal on importhookup is horrible. The 4503-RA008 listed on carpart.com is not the EVC IV. It is the EVC EZ which is retail at $395. I can get that EVC for $275. HKS makes four different kind of EVC. EVC Pro, EVC Silver, EVC IV Si, and EVC EZ. As one that retail for $595 is the EVC IV Si which is not the one on carpart.com and the part number is 4503-RA009. I don't want other people to end up getting ripped off. Thanks!! :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I say stay below 18 psi once in a while when you race if you don't have any other engine mods (stock is 13.5 but it's actaully lower becuase Subaru wants to keep the car alive for longer). For daily driving I would say the stock boost is good enough. Some people say with the boost controller even if you set it on around 14 you'll notice a big difference, i'm not too sure. APEX-i might be able to work on my car and I'll let all of you know how much it helps, or you can just make another post asking for comments from someone who has a boost controller installed already, that way they can tell you from experience. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OH really? i never noticed that... Well if anythign you can give htem a call and have them send u the EVC IV becuase that would be false advertisement if its' the EVC EZ! Thanks for the lookout!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Are you saying all I need to up the boost on my WRX is something like the HKS EVC-IV? I plan on doing some intake and exhaust work here in the future. But raising the boost seems like a nice idea in addition to the intake/exhaust idea I had. Can it really be all that simple?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello Root,

Go for the intake and exhaust first becuase you'll need a higher flow exhaust for a higher boost.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't bother with the Carparts deal. They'll only let you return the EVC EZ once you get it... no trades for what's actually advertised.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Blazin:

Ohh I plan to do intake/exhaust no matter what. But my question was all I need is a boost controller to up the boost from factory spec?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Root:
Yes, with a boost controller (either manual or electronic) you will be able to turn up boost on your car. Or an ECU upgrade will usually add 2-5 psi to the setup.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by Julio:
Root:
Yes, with a boost controller (either manual or electronic) you will be able to turn up boost on your car. Or an ECU upgrade will usually add 2-5 psi to the setup.

Please please please, before turning up the boost on ANY turbo car, buy a REAL aftermarket boost gauge. Turning up the boost without a REAL boost gauge can make things go boom.

So my answer would be no... you dont need just a boost controller, you need an aftermarket boost gauge as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts