Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Winter is coming and need a set of winter tires and rims. In CT I'm probably going to be wearing snows 1/3 of the year so I'd like something with a bit more style than steel rims but I don't want to spend too much (<$150ea) on some rims that are just there for winter abuse. I'd rather have rugged to light weight or quality finish.

There are tons of no-name wheels available online. How big a risk is it just get something because I like the design? Will some off brand likely crack the first little pothole it sees?
I'm assuming it's a bad sign if there is no company website to be found (RUFF racing:rolleyes:)

I'm leaning toward the Sparco/OZ Terra's as a safer option (two big names behind them).
I really like f1r f23 but they're a bit wide for snows...

· Registered
863 Posts
I've only gone one winter on my winter rims/wheels and snow tires so I cannot really say just how durable they are, but roads here in Maine are not exactly smooth during any time of the year.

I went with Enkei RSF5s ($143) with mounted General Arctics from Tire Rack which came to $1,053 and change. I did not have the tire pressure monitoring doo-hickeys installed.

· Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hubcaps on steelies. There's the cheapest alternative. Lol
Yeah but steelies look like you're running on spare donuts to me (sorry wrxchick1676) and I despise plastic fake alloy hubcaps. Hubcaps used to be a part of a cars styling. Now they're just sad.
I'd go for some old school metal hubcaps if I could get them to fit on new steelies
Then:)

Still then :)

Now :(

· Registered
863 Posts
I feel the same way Hank . . . steel wheels were cheaper, but I really dislike the look and since I'm wearing my winter tires about half of the year here in New England (I figure on putting them on in late-October or early-November and taking them off in April or May) I was willing to splurge a bit and get some wheels that I liked.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.