ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i just found my mom's old camera that she doesnt use any more.

It's a Minolta QT si maxxum :confused:. She also has a 28-80 mm lense and a 100-300mm. Does it take good pictures?

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,234 Posts
Does it take good pictures?
That's an empirical question. Note also that given equipment that works as designed, picture quality is largely up to the photographer, not the gear.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
alright well i dont know to much about taking pictures. I just didnt know if it was a nice camera or not

·
Banned
2,593 Posts
That's an empirical question. Note also that given equipment that works as designed, picture quality is largely up to the photographer, not the gear.
+1

Go try it out and post here.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
203 Posts
hey i just found my mom's old camera that she doesnt use any more.

It's a Minolta QT si maxxum :confused:. She also has a 28-80 mm lense and a 100-300mm. Does it take good pictures?
I'm not sure about that particular model, but generally Minolta SLRs were pretty good. BUt the big question is whether you want to use a film SLR these day? Learning to shoot well with film requires a bigger investment in time - you have to go out and buy film and then go back to the store to process it, and then return again to get the prints. As a serious photographer for 30 years, I think that digital is a much better way to learn - you can shoot, see the results, make adjustments, shoot, etc. I've been all digital for about 5 years.

As for the value of what you've found, film camera bodies sell for very little these days. With the lenses, are they Minolta brand? You may be able to use them on the Sony DSLRs (Minolta was bought by Konica, and then Sony) but older lenses may not be compatible.

Finally, if you do want to get into photography serious, think about what type of shooting you'd like to do and how much money you have to spare for equipment. Based on that, I'd be happy to make a recommendation on gear. FYI, if you're curious about what I shoot, check out here:

www.pbase.com/jeffp25

especially here:
http://www.pbase.com/jeffp25/ukvehicles2007

I've only had my WRX for two weeks, and no time to get any good shots of it yet.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not sure about that particular model, but generally Minolta SLRs were pretty good. BUt the big question is whether you want to use a film SLR these day? Learning to shoot well with film requires a bigger investment in time - you have to go out and buy film and then go back to the store to process it, and then return again to get the prints. As a serious photographer for 30 years, I think that digital is a much better way to learn - you can shoot, see the results, make adjustments, shoot, etc. I've been all digital for about 5 years.

As for the value of what you've found, film camera bodies sell for very little these days. With the lenses, are they Minolta brand? You may be able to use them on the Sony DSLRs (Minolta was bought by Konica, and then Sony) but older lenses may not be compatible.

Finally, if you do want to get into photography serious, think about what type of shooting you'd like to do and how much money you have to spare for equipment. Based on that, I'd be happy to make a recommendation on gear. FYI, if you're curious about what I shoot, check out here:

www.pbase.com/jeffp25

especially here:
http://www.pbase.com/jeffp25/ukvehicles2007

I've only had my WRX for two weeks, and no time to get any good shots of it yet.
Yea the lenses is minolta. im just trying to get some nice pictures of my car. thanks a lot for the help

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

thats a few that i took.. what do you guys think

·
Banned
2,593 Posts
They look good to me!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It was my first time trying this whole picture thing

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Those are very nice pics. I have a minolta stsi, was my first slr that I bought back in 1998. You can definitely learn a lot by constantly shooting with an slr, it'll just be kinda expensive with the cost of film and developing.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
haha yea i know i went through 4 roll's of film in a day.. here are some more i took.

haha dumb dog

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
THose are some nice pics! I use my Dslr a lot, but recently have been shooting with a n90s that I picked up on ebay for $96. Once you get familiar w/ yr camera, you should look into getting a nice flash that you can bounce, as well as lenses with larger aperture for low light shooting.

good luck!

Alex G.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts