ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about getting a 2012 WRX and was wondering what some good modifications are for when I first get it so throw me some products to buy to give it a little more speed and acceleration and also if I buy a blowoff valve do I need any other modifications?

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'd recommend shifter bushings over any other modifications. I'm assuming quite a number of people go with the Accessport as their first mod. I went with lights first, shift knob, and then intake/accessport. A downpipe with a Stage 2 tune would get you decent power, and a catback for the newer cars are just noise makers that don't really add much power.

So Stage 1 with the Accessport is what I'd recommend..

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
yeah a stage 2 upgrade is a good buy, blow off valves are a pain. if you want the sound get an intake, that really brings out the turbo and BPV

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thinking about getting a 2012 WRX and was wondering what some good modifications are for when I first get it so throw me some products to buy to give it a little more speed and acceleration and also if I buy a blowoff valve do I need any other modifications?
These are the only engine mods I've done on my 2012 5-door WRX:

Invidia catted downpipe
Invidia Q300 catback exhaust
AEM cold-air intake
DeatschWerks 65C Fuel Pump
Forge FMDVSUB03 Recirc. Valve
Professional open-source tune by BrenTuning.com

Result was 333 peak WHP, 350 ft/lbs peak torque (see red lines in chart)

It was recommended not to install a "blow-off" valve, but definitely replace the stock plastic recirculating valve with an all-metal version; the Forge FMDVSUB03 Recirculating Valve was installed after the tune, which should've cleaned up that torque curve a bit.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Wow nice first post...

Question for CA owners: will the catted downpipe pass smog? (And I don't mean "will it pass smog if my tech is a moron" - I mean if he is playing by all the rules and calling me out on everything)

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Fuzzy Dice to hang from the mirror.

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
These are the only engine mods I've done on my 2012 5-door WRX:

Invidia catted downpipe
Invidia Q300 catback exhaust
AEM cold-air intake
DeatschWerks 65C Fuel Pump
Forge FMDVSUB03 Recirc. Valve
Professional open-source tune by BrenTuning.com

Result was 333 peak WHP, 350 ft/lbs peak torque (see red lines in chart)

It was recommended not to install a "blow-off" valve, but definitely replace the stock plastic recirculating valve with an all-metal version; the Forge FMDVSUB03 Recirculating Valve was installed after the tune, which should've cleaned up that torque curve a bit.
That is a very...um...friendly...dyno. 333whp with just a tbe and intake? Come on now. How much boost are you running?

·
Registered
759 Posts
That is a very...um...friendly...dyno. 333whp with just a tbe and intake? Come on now. How much boost are you running?
That's what I was thinking - I was like dang... if that's all I gotta do...

·
Registered
9 Posts
That's what I was thinking - I was like dang... if that's all I gotta do...
Stock turbo running at 17.5psi.

From what I was told by my tuner, The stock 2011/2012 WRXes are "rated" at 265 BHP, but the general consensus is that they're really de-tuned STIs... I believe they were planning the new body style of the base Impreza since 2011, which was when WRXes started getting the same "wide-body" that the STI had. As a result, I also believe there's been a process of migration for the WRX in that there aren't that many parts needed to "convert" a WRX to an STI- The engine and turbo are basically the same, but to get "STI powah", the WRX doesn't really need much to make up the 40 hp difference...

Using this converter at this site, Wheel Horsepower to Crankshaft Horsepower Guestimator, a stock WRX has an estimated 213 hp at the wheels for the stock 265 crank hp rating... The tuner (Bren Tuning out of Worcester, MA) tells me that baselines for 2011+ WRXes have been running at about 245 whp/245 torque, putting the calculated crank hp at over 320 hp. (BTW, 333 whp calculates to about 408 hp at the crank- 100 hp more than a stock STI is rated at).

Could the dynos be over-rating the HP? Possibly, but I doubt it. He's done enough of them though- check out his Subaru performance blog. There's a stock 2011 WRX tuned to near 300 whp, a Stage 2 2011 STI with 322 HP, as well as an "under-achieving" near-stock 2012 STI

He did say that my own car was a bit of an over-achiever to start with- he told me he never saw the base readings (green line in chart) from a WRX with just intake and exhaust mods before- Yes, the green line looks sick, I know... but that's what the stock ECU mapping did trying to work with the readings it was getting from the better intake and exhaust. Whatever you do, don't just slap the intake and exhaust in and hope for the best- make sure your ECU is remapped to recognize them.

Question for CA owners: will the catted downpipe pass smog? (And I don't mean "will it pass smog if my tech is a moron" - I mean if he is playing by all the rules and calling me out on everything)
I'm in NH, so I know the question wasn't directed towards me, but I haven't been able to find any sites that can say whether the Invidia catted downpipe is CARB compliant or not... Nevertheless I asked my tuner about NH emissions testing, and he said that the upgrades I've had done won't throw out any CEL codes. Except for the O2 sensor wire rubbing on the driveshaft and getting borked, everything seems to be running smooth.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Wow nice first post...

Short answer... no.

As a service manager for an automotive facility in Central California, I can tell you that any modification to a manufacturer installed cat converter setup in anyway is illegal unless it is a direct replacement of said manufacturer cat(s). If it falls under the second half of that statement then it must meet California Emissions Requirement per the California Air Resorce Board which is a converter that is designed the same as manufacturer setup and must be within 90% of manufacturer efficency.

With that said, replacing two cats with 1 highflow cat does not count as the "same manufacturer setup" and therefore is illegal. If you give me about 20 mins I can pull my smog bylaws book and post the actual law and article number. Hope this helps!

Greg

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
Stock turbo running at 17.5psi.

From what I was told by my tuner, The stock 2011/2012 WRXes are "rated" at 265 BHP, but the general consensus is that they're really de-tuned STIs... I believe they were planning the new body style of the base Impreza since 2011, which was when WRXes started getting the same "wide-body" that the STI had. As a result, I also believe there's been a process of migration for the WRX in that there aren't that many parts needed to "convert" a WRX to an STI- The engine and turbo are basically the same, but to get "STI powah", the WRX doesn't really need much to make up the 40 hp difference...

Using this converter at this site, Wheel Horsepower to Crankshaft Horsepower Guestimator, a stock WRX has an estimated 213 hp at the wheels for the stock 265 crank hp rating... The tuner (Bren Tuning out of Worcester, MA) tells me that baselines for 2011+ WRXes have been running at about 245 whp/245 torque, putting the calculated crank hp at over 320 hp. (BTW, 333 whp calculates to about 408 hp at the crank- 100 hp more than a stock STI is rated at).

Could the dynos be over-rating the HP? Possibly, but I doubt it. He's done enough of them though- check out his Subaru performance blog. There's a stock 2011 WRX tuned to near 300 whp, a Stage 2 2011 STI with 322 HP, as well as an "under-achieving" near-stock 2012 STI

He did say that my own car was a bit of an over-achiever to start with- he told me he never saw the base readings (green line in chart) from a WRX with just intake and exhaust mods before- Yes, the green line looks sick, I know... but that's what the stock ECU mapping did trying to work with the readings it was getting from the better intake and exhaust. Whatever you do, don't just slap the intake and exhaust in and hope for the best- make sure your ECU is remapped to recognize them.

I'm in NH, so I know the question wasn't directed towards me, but I haven't been able to find any sites that can say whether the Invidia catted downpipe is CARB compliant or not... Nevertheless I asked my tuner about NH emissions testing, and he said that the upgrades I've had done won't throw out any CEL codes. Except for the O2 sensor wire rubbing on the driveshaft and getting borked, everything seems to be running smooth.
Sorry man, but I'm still throwing a HUGE BS flag at those numbers. If those those were even close to accurate, those Cobb guys (among many, many others, including my decade-long tuner - Hill @ Agile) must not know what they're doing at all...

·
Registered
759 Posts
Short answer... no.

As a service manager for an automotive facility in Central California, I can tell you that any modification to a manufacturer installed cat converter setup in anyway is illegal unless it is a direct replacement of said manufacturer cat(s). If it falls under the second half of that statement then it must meet California Emissions Requirement per the California Air Resorce Board which is a converter that is designed the same as manufacturer setup and must be within 90% of manufacturer efficency.

With that said, replacing two cats with 1 highflow cat does not count as the "same manufacturer setup" and therefore is illegal. If you give me about 20 mins I can pull my smog bylaws book and post the actual law and article number. Hope this helps!

Greg
Thanx - I just went through a lot of hoopla with my 2005 Toyota Matrix that had 2 cats. I had to get them both replaced with the proper parts under the correct executive order according to the CARB website. Problem with my car though is that the test group (the one with 2 cats) was not actually found on the site, so the tech didn't know what to do... he ended up passing it because the cats had the proper exec. order (193-89) for the only test groups that WERE listed. I still had to put my stock exh manifold back on because my headers weren't approved (anyMORE - but that's another story).

I'll stop hijacking this thread now and maybe we can continue via PM if necessary? I was just wondering if this was a no-hassle upgrade that wouldn't require me to swap parts back to stock (and thus another tune?) before smogging it in a few years. Just a lot of hassle and cost after 5 years, and legality is certainly questionable.

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts

Want more? Here's another one with more supporting mods and higher boost not putting down the numbers you and bren claim. They're inflated as hell, plain and simple. I could do this all day....

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Do they use the same dyno though?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
What lokey said.

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
Could the dynos be over-rating the HP? Most definitely, but I'll keep posting my dyno chart and bragging until someone who knows calls me out.
Fixed.

How about we do this? Your car and my car. Same dyno. If you put down more than me, I'll give you my damn car.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Fixed.

How about we do this? Your car and my car. Same dyno. If you put down more than me, I'll give you my damn car.
lol

Be nice!! Poor guy... It's not his fault his tuner gave him bad numbers.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts