Top Gear 30-50= 10.8
Top Gear 50-70= 7.8
Top Speed= 159
Braking 70-0= 159 ft
Skidpad= 0.90g
Slalom= 42.4mph
Curb Weight= 3456 lbs
These numbers confuse me.

C&D bashed the STi in this most recent test. Yet somehow the STi scored significantly lower scores this go-round than when C&D tested the 15 STi back in Oct of 2014... hmmmmm:confused:

I understand that without identical conditions back to back it's hard to compare. But you'd think there would be SOME consistency no?

These numbers confuse me.

C&D bashed the STi in this most recent test. Yet somehow the STi scored significantly lower scores this go-round than when C&D tested the 15 STi back in Oct of 2014... hmmmmm:confused:

I understand that without identical conditions back to back it's hard to compare. But you'd think there would be SOME consistency no?
Agreed, though different day, driver, and actual car for that matter?

Car magazine articles bounce all over. Been a regular reader of C&D since the early 90's. Need to read something while taking a dump.

In this case I'm not going to fault them on not being kind to the STi as many of the gripes are legit imo. It was in the context of a comparison. The STi is lagging behind the others. Their commentary on the looks was a bit too much, not that the STi is a looker. It really isn't.

Published performance #s are always approximate indicators at best.

Car magazine reviews are largely driven by what sponsor pays the most.

It's also worth addressing the sti is running on a decades old powerplant and it's still competitive. I'm not sure where the total lateral g numbers come from but I've seen reviews listing far more and far less for the sti and the golf r.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

You don't? I know personally of companies that pay huge advertising money for positive reviews. Including Ford, Chevrolet, and a couple machine tool manufacturers like DMG

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I think belaboring on magazine specs without test driving each car is futile and ignorant at best.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I don't buy in to that for the most part.
In my line of work (advertising) I see this kind of stuff daily.
Whoever writes the biggest check gets the best article/video published.

Granted, I don't work in the automobile industry, but the same logic applies.

I think belaboring on magazine specs without test driving each car is futile and ignorant at best.

Zax - I completely agree, to a point. Even if all of us have test driven these cars, wouldn't it make our individual results more subjective than the magazine numbers? At least with the paper racing we have *some* common ground to work off of regardless of how inaccurate/bloated they may be.

For what it's worth, I've driven 2 of the 3 cars in this test. IMO the Golf R is a good step behind the STi in the overall performance package. Can't wait to drive the RS and compare.

my buddy has a new one, Ive driven it a few times.

my takeaways would be:

1. it is not remotely close to being fun to drive like a wrx/sti
2. you really have to get into the RPM band and rip it to feel any power, driving around town/city everyday it feels like a 150hp golf
3. interior is very nice looking, but seats do not feel good
4. its a not much better or faster GTI
5. you dont really notice the AWD at all, feels like a GTI or any FWD car for the most part
6. carplay is nice

ConBroMitch:

Who is the doofus in your avatar? Kind of scary / creepy ...
lol just saw this post^

His name is Prof. He's a "rapper" from the Minneapolis area signed to the Rhymesayers label (Atmosphere, Brother Ali etc.) This man is out of his mind. I thought this picture was hysterical and had to use it as my avatar for that initial "WTF" shock when people see it lol :rotfl:

Check out some of his videos like "Me Boi" and "Bar Breaker" and you'll see what I mean.

Bar Breaker (NSFW):
Me Boi (NSFW):

The R I inquired about has arrived. The salesman was kind enough to actually remember to call me back.

Should I go look at it? Buy it? Pee on it? Something it?

lol just saw this post^

His name is Prof. He's a "rapper" from the Minneapolis area signed to the Rhymesayers label (Atmosphere, Brother Ali etc.) This man is out of his mind. I thought this picture was hysterical and had to use it as my avatar for that initial "WTF" shock when people see it lol :rotfl:

Check out some of his videos like "Me Boi" and "Bar Breaker" and you'll see what I mean.

Bar Breaker (NSFW):
Me Boi (NSFW):
No thanks. I loathe all that is rap / hip hop. You shocked me. Makes me want to wretch.

Test drive the sucker.

That counts as a something it ... think I just might

Trouble is any new car in the context of a sales mandated gentle test drive is going to feel great.

That counts as a something it ... think I just might

Trouble is any new car in the context of a sales mandated gentle test drive is going to feel great.
I agree.

However, you may fall in love. So go for it!

Good deals? Not on the R

I told the sales guy buying a car I thought needed an extended warranty was a bad idea, but was still quite interested in having a look. 11am Saturday morn ...

That is what I fear ...
Nothing wrong with it!

I agree, deals are killer for financing I've seen. But idk about the R. And if you like it, then it's what you get!! Showing up with the golf R in a couple weeks. We won't judge you Bill :beerchug: I say go for the drive and see what happens. Just don't fall in love on impulse. Don't chase the lust!

41 - 60 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.