Subaru WRX Forum banner
21 - 40 of 80 Posts
I know all about that. Consumer Reports has been just as unkind to the Ford as the VW.

Subaru is the sensible choice, even though it stubbornly clings to 20th century technology.

I know all about that. Consumer Reports has been just as unkind to the Ford as the VW.

Subaru is the sensible choice, even though it stubbornly clings to 20th century technology.
Stubbornly clings? Or has far less R&D budget [than most manufacturers] and uses the budget wisely on the mainstream sellers?

Stubbornly clings? Or has far less R&D budget [than most manufacturers] and uses the budget wisely on the mainstream sellers?
Yes, that is accurate. Its like they use the WRX / STi to subsidize their core buyers.

I hate buying cars ... :(

I have always loved how you did you Subaru. Total class. I think you have some great choices now though. I love the Golf R. I know the RS is all new and unknown yet for reliability but it still seems like a very cool car. And besides, that is what they make extended warranties for. I wouldn't let the newness scare me off entirely..

You should make a separate thread on your quest and let us live vicariously through you on your journey. :)

I know they don't have a hatch . . . but have you demoed the current generation of WRX? I know it's not as highly rated interior-wise as VW or have the buzz that the Ford has, but perhaps you may like what you see in terms of the updates they have made from previous generations?

I have always loved how you did you Subaru. Total class. I think you have some great choices now though. I love the Golf R. I know the RS is all new and unknown yet for reliability but it still seems like a very cool car. And besides, that is what they make extended warranties for. I wouldn't let the newness scare me off entirely..

You should make a separate thread on your quest and let us live vicariously through you on your journey. :)

Thanks! If this process was enjoyable I might create a thread. It is not. I'd hate to feel I need an extended warranty. We'll see how it goes.

Another Subaru is the sensible choice. I happen to really like the dealer I bought from They have been exceptionally good to me.

I know they don't have a hatch . . . but have you demoed the current generation of WRX? I know it's not as highly rated interior-wise as VW or have the buzz that the Ford has, but perhaps you may like what you see in terms of the updates they have made from previous generations?
I will be looking at the STi as well. I cannot live with that wing. A trunk swap or something will need to be done.

My rule of thumb is morbid but effective: "would I drive to a funeral in this car with X" or "would I be seen dead in this car with X" where X can be a silly wing, a goofy paint scheme, a bizarro body kit etc.

Granted I can't see the exterior when I'm driving the car, but sometimes dignity is all that one has left -- or all that one ever needs.

Stay thirsty my friends.

Thanks! If this process was enjoyable I might create a thread. It is not. I'd hate to feel I need an extended warranty. We'll see how it goes.

Another Subaru is the sensible choice. I happen to really like the dealer I bought from They have been exceptionally good to me.

I will be looking at the STi as well. I cannot live with that wing. A trunk swap or something will need to be done.

I think wing-less is an option now.

My rule of thumb is morbid but effective: "would I drive to a funeral in this car with X" or "would I be seen dead in this car with X" where X can be a silly wing, a goofy paint scheme, a bizarro body kit etc.
That's what I do not care about. Me WRX was in a funeral procession with all of its unsophisticated obnoxious noisy glory. F'em if they don't like it.

I think wing-less is an option now.
For the special edition Limited or whatever they call it. Think it comes with a bunch of other do dads and garbage I want no parts of. I need to have a closer look.

I thought you could order the STI with the wing delete . . .

Edited . . . I see now what you mean . . . you can get the wing delete, but have to buy the car which sits at nearly $40,000.

Ah ok. That's sucky. But you could always do a swap like you mentioned or do what I did and find a trunk lid you like in a salvage yard.

There is no shortage of WRX owners clamoring for an STI wing... cash on top.

I'm having much better luck with the Golf R I'd like. The one I'd want will land at a dealer not too far from me in less than a month.
Found this back when my buddy was looking for his R, He found it super useful, it might help you find one closer? :) It's a list of every R in transit and on the lot in the country. https://www.dropbox.com/s/xz85ydbwhhtepfs/Golf R Inventory.xls?dl=0

I've driven the R numerous times and there are a few things that weighed heavily on my decision not to purchase one. Your priorities may be different from mine however..

1) Electric steering - Forget what any car reviewer says "you cant tell it's electric" "The feedback is great" It's not great. steering is numb and not linear. There is a noticeable dead pocket followed by unnecessarily stiff "sport" steering. I am not a fan.

2) Gearbox - Cable linkage, throws are quite long and the feeling is numbed. Clutch is also not as communicative as I'd like. Took me much longer in the R to find the bite point than any other manual car I have driven.

3) Reliability/quality - Not my doing, and really you could chalk this up to driver error. (although this is WELL documented in the VW world) My R friend hit a pothole (not a crater mind you) but your average pothole and now has a massive bend in his wheel. The wheel and tire still hold air but VW won't warranty it. (car drives like it has an out of balance tire at highway speeds) Even though it is well documented VW makes soft wheels for the GTI and R (among others)

4) Drivetrain - It's no STi, but it's also no slouch either. Although, mid corner and early corner exit if feels like a FWD car. I'm sure it was placebo, but I felt like I could tell the haldex diff was there sending power to the rear only after the front tires had detected slip.

5) Weird quirky thing - The seats are WAY too bolstered in the thigh area. I'm a big dude (6'3 235) and had trouble getting comfortable with my (apparently) tree trunk sized legs :confused::rotfl:

And if you decide to do it, Bill. You know you can go to your dealer, or go to our one and only. A bit of a drive, but seriously, it was the most painless and effortless thing ever. We bought Melissa's there, and then her dad was so impressed, he went and got a legacy from them.. So I say, I think it would be something to consider. And with the STI wing, you'd be able to drop it like it's 'hot'. Someone would be at your doorstep the minute you drove off the lot. Bit of a PITA, but not terrible. Just wear gloves...... But I agree, I want to follow your journey. A thread for you I vote! :beerchug:

Found this back when my buddy was looking for his R, He found it super useful, it might help you find one closer? :) It's a list of every R in transit and on the lot in the country. https://www.dropbox.com/s/xz85ydbwhhtepfs/Golf R Inventory.xls?dl=0

5) Weird quirky thing - The seats are WAY too bolstered in the thigh area. I'm a big dude (6'3 235) and had trouble getting comfortable with my (apparently) tree trunk sized legs :confused::rotfl:
Yep, the one headed my way is on the xlsx. Does not mention arrival date that I could find. The reliability is troubling and makes me think it is not a good choice. I don't know ...

I'm also 6'3" and over 235. I'd have to hop in and try.

And if you decide to do it, Bill. You know you can go to your dealer, or go to our one and only. A bit of a drive, but seriously, it was the most painless and effortless thing ever. We bought Melissa's there, and then her dad was so impressed, he went and got a legacy from them.. So I say, I think it would be something to consider. And with the STI wing, you'd be able to drop it like it's 'hot'. Someone would be at your doorstep the minute you drove off the lot. Bit of a PITA, but not terrible. Just wear gloves...... But I agree, I want to follow your journey. A thread for you I vote!
I'm very happy with my current Subaru dealer, I'd surely go there. Still not sold on a quest thread as I have mentioned getting a new car several times and never seem to. This is far from a certainty, but closer than I think I have ever been since I've had the WRX.

Some numbers from the recent C and D test

Focus RS:

0-30mph= 1.5
0-60mph= 4.6
0-100mph= 12.2
0-110= 14.4
¼ mile= 13.4@105mph
5-60= 5.7
Top Gear 30-50= 7.6
Top Gear 50-70= 6.0
Top Speed= 165
Braking 70-0= 158 ft
Skidpad= 0.98g
Slalom= 43.6mph
Curb Weight= 3459 lbs

STI:

0-30mph= 1.4
0-60mph= 4.7
0-100mph= 12.0
0-110= 16.0
¼ mile= 13.4@104mph
5-60= 6.7
Top Gear 30-50= 10.8
Top Gear 50-70= 7.8
Top Speed= 159
Braking 70-0= 159 ft
Skidpad= 0.90g
Slalom= 42.4mph
Curb Weight= 3456 lbs

Golf R:

0-30mph= 1.5
0-60mph= 5.1
0-100mph= 11.8
0-110= 15.3
¼ mile= 13.6@105mph
5-60= 6.1
Top Gear 30-50= 7.3
Top Gear 50-70= 5.9
Top Speed= 153mph
Braking 70-0= 153
Skidpad= 0.95g
Slalom= 43.5mph
Curb Weight= 3292 lbs

21 - 40 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.