Subaru WRX Forum banner

Golf R awd 296hp !

10K views 79 replies 23 participants last post by  Firefighterjake 
#1 ·
Volkswagen has been making R-badged Golfs for longer than you might think. In fact, what you're looking at here is the fourth such model. But while previous generations have moved the power game incrementally forward, this latest version moves it on by leaps and bounds.

Set to debut at the Frankfurt Motor Show, now just weeks away, the new Golf R packs a prodigious 296 horsepower. That's not just more than the 286 hp we expected or more than a proportionate increase over its predecessors: Compare that figure to the 237 hp in the first Golf R32, the 247 hp in the one that followed and the 261 hp in the outgoing Golf R, and you'll realize that the new output doesn't just represent a bigger leap than Volkswagen R GmbH has ever taken before, it's bigger than the entire progress of the line until now.

The power (and its accompanying 280 pound-feet of torque) is once again channeled to all four wheels through a Haldex system and either a six-speed manual or dual-clutch transmission, although it remains to be seen which will make the transatlantic voyage Stateside and when. The suspension is dropped by 0.78 inches compared to the Mk7 Golf upon which it's based (0.2 inches lower than the GTI), the aero kit looks similar to the R-line package we've seen before, dual exhaust pipes protrude from the diffuser in the back and buyers can opt for 18- or 19-inch wheels.

Volkswagen hasn't let us inside just yet, having revealed just two exterior shots and a pair of design renderings. However, VW specifies textile seats with Alcantara bolsters and optional Nappa leather, replete with carbon trim and R logos abounding. Scope out the full press release below and watch this space for more as Frankfurt approaches as quickly as a 300-horsepower hot hatch in your rearview.

Volkswagen reveals new 296-hp Golf R - Autoblog

See less See more
#2 ·
Good stuff, I'm in for some updates. Before I owned my WRX I had a 2010 GTI & I still miss it... Until I get in my WRX and drive it and then all the sadness goes away haha. A golf R is nice but kinda pricey, even though it may be the best bang for your buck. I want to drive one!

#10 ·
It will be interesting to get driver feedback and see how much of a "Driver's car" it turns out to be. R32's were great cars, but were really marketed towards people that wanted more refinement over raw performance. Perhaps this will have both. :)

#15 ·
For the price, I would hope they would have upped their power output. I've never been impressed by the R, nor the R32 when it was out either. They are very well built cars and very nice. I paid 26k OTD for my WRX IIRC, add 900 for TMIC, add 150 for FP, add 200.00 for DP, 180.00 for CAI, 90.00? I think for 3 port = 320 whp/340 wtq... add 25% or so to that and that's how much under 2 grand got me vs. the what? 35k Golf?

MUCH more impressed with the new VW GTD at 180 hp and 280 lb ft tq. I believe it is.... and that's @ 45-60 mpg according to a lot of reports.

#16 ·
I'm with you on that. It won't be exactly a GTI with a diesel engine (won't have the same diff, I believe), but if the current gen GTI is any indication, it will be a fun chassis to throw around, should feel good in the driving I do with all that torque, and will best my current gas mileage by 2 to 3 times. Could be my next car, assuming it succeeds in the states and assuming I can still get away with a car this size with fwd.

#19 · (Edited)
I need to bump this ... pretty much the only relevant thread I can find here on the Golf R. :confused:

I'm going to take a serious look at the 2016 Golf R.

My WRX just turned 12 years old this past Wednesday. Yes, I still love it and the thousands of $s I've sunk into modding it to my precise "needs". Think I have gotten all of the enjoyment out of those mods I ever will by now. From this point forward it is all diminishing returns. I feel it is finally time to replace me beloved Blobeye. Sad, but true.

Anyone care to talk me off the VW ledge? I know they have issues with reliability. On the other hand the numerous mod paths that platform has are bewildering and astounding. I've always loved the Golf in its many incarnations. They have gotten many more car magazine accolades than anything Subaru or Ford have ever put out.

My first choice has been the Focus RS, but the timing is just not right. A 2016 with the specs I want are likely many months away if at all. Who knows when the 2017 orders will happen. I'm having much better luck with the Golf R I'd like. The one I'd want will land at a dealer not too far from me in less than a month.

I really want a hatch this time, there is none better than the Golf.

#20 ·
I know they have issues with reliability.
To me that's a show-stopper. The car has to run. It makes zero difference how quick or how fun or how pretty the car is if it's unreliable.

My Subaru has been generally reliable. Not as good as my wife's Honda, but close enough to where I would confidently drive it across the country tomorrow morning, as it stands, at 14 years old and nearly 190K on the clock. I would be astounded if the same could be said of a current VAG product, and the higher end the car from them the less likely I am to trust it.

I'm biased, but I'm also a big fan of the 21st century. We should be looking to replace our cars with non-combustion alternatives entirely rather than wondering if technologies that date to the turn of the 20th century and have been evolving for over 100 years will somehow limit us to less than, say, 200K miles of day in, day out service and reliability. It's got to keep running or it's not worth buying IMO.

If you think it's going to be at least as solid as your Subaru and if you think you'll enjoy it at least as much, then on the other hand go for it. Life's short, and if the car works for you that's fantastic.

#23 ·
I know all about that. Consumer Reports has been just as unkind to the Ford as the VW.

Subaru is the sensible choice, even though it stubbornly clings to 20th century technology.

#26 ·
I have always loved how you did you Subaru. Total class. I think you have some great choices now though. I love the Golf R. I know the RS is all new and unknown yet for reliability but it still seems like a very cool car. And besides, that is what they make extended warranties for. I wouldn't let the newness scare me off entirely..

You should make a separate thread on your quest and let us live vicariously through you on your journey. :)

#28 ·
Thanks! If this process was enjoyable I might create a thread. It is not. I'd hate to feel I need an extended warranty. We'll see how it goes.

Another Subaru is the sensible choice. I happen to really like the dealer I bought from They have been exceptionally good to me.

I know they don't have a hatch . . . but have you demoed the current generation of WRX? I know it's not as highly rated interior-wise as VW or have the buzz that the Ford has, but perhaps you may like what you see in terms of the updates they have made from previous generations?
I will be looking at the STi as well. I cannot live with that wing. A trunk swap or something will need to be done.

#29 ·
My rule of thumb is morbid but effective: "would I drive to a funeral in this car with X" or "would I be seen dead in this car with X" where X can be a silly wing, a goofy paint scheme, a bizarro body kit etc.

Granted I can't see the exterior when I'm driving the car, but sometimes dignity is all that one has left -- or all that one ever needs.

Stay thirsty my friends.

#31 ·
My rule of thumb is morbid but effective: "would I drive to a funeral in this car with X" or "would I be seen dead in this car with X" where X can be a silly wing, a goofy paint scheme, a bizarro body kit etc.
That's what I do not care about. Me WRX was in a funeral procession with all of its unsophisticated obnoxious noisy glory. F'em if they don't like it.

I think wing-less is an option now.
For the special edition Limited or whatever they call it. Think it comes with a bunch of other do dads and garbage I want no parts of. I need to have a closer look.

#33 ·
Ah ok. That's sucky. But you could always do a swap like you mentioned or do what I did and find a trunk lid you like in a salvage yard.

#36 ·
I'm having much better luck with the Golf R I'd like. The one I'd want will land at a dealer not too far from me in less than a month.
Found this back when my buddy was looking for his R, He found it super useful, it might help you find one closer? :) It's a list of every R in transit and on the lot in the country. https://www.dropbox.com/s/xz85ydbwhhtepfs/Golf R Inventory.xls?dl=0

I've driven the R numerous times and there are a few things that weighed heavily on my decision not to purchase one. Your priorities may be different from mine however..

1) Electric steering - Forget what any car reviewer says "you cant tell it's electric" "The feedback is great" It's not great. steering is numb and not linear. There is a noticeable dead pocket followed by unnecessarily stiff "sport" steering. I am not a fan.

2) Gearbox - Cable linkage, throws are quite long and the feeling is numbed. Clutch is also not as communicative as I'd like. Took me much longer in the R to find the bite point than any other manual car I have driven.

3) Reliability/quality - Not my doing, and really you could chalk this up to driver error. (although this is WELL documented in the VW world) My R friend hit a pothole (not a crater mind you) but your average pothole and now has a massive bend in his wheel. The wheel and tire still hold air but VW won't warranty it. (car drives like it has an out of balance tire at highway speeds) Even though it is well documented VW makes soft wheels for the GTI and R (among others)

4) Drivetrain - It's no STi, but it's also no slouch either. Although, mid corner and early corner exit if feels like a FWD car. I'm sure it was placebo, but I felt like I could tell the haldex diff was there sending power to the rear only after the front tires had detected slip.

5) Weird quirky thing - The seats are WAY too bolstered in the thigh area. I'm a big dude (6'3 235) and had trouble getting comfortable with my (apparently) tree trunk sized legs :confused::rotfl:

#38 ·
Found this back when my buddy was looking for his R, He found it super useful, it might help you find one closer? :) It's a list of every R in transit and on the lot in the country. https://www.dropbox.com/s/xz85ydbwhhtepfs/Golf R Inventory.xls?dl=0

5) Weird quirky thing - The seats are WAY too bolstered in the thigh area. I'm a big dude (6'3 235) and had trouble getting comfortable with my (apparently) tree trunk sized legs :confused::rotfl:
Yep, the one headed my way is on the xlsx. Does not mention arrival date that I could find. The reliability is troubling and makes me think it is not a good choice. I don't know ...

I'm also 6'3" and over 235. I'd have to hop in and try.

And if you decide to do it, Bill. You know you can go to your dealer, or go to our one and only. A bit of a drive, but seriously, it was the most painless and effortless thing ever. We bought Melissa's there, and then her dad was so impressed, he went and got a legacy from them.. So I say, I think it would be something to consider. And with the STI wing, you'd be able to drop it like it's 'hot'. Someone would be at your doorstep the minute you drove off the lot. Bit of a PITA, but not terrible. Just wear gloves...... But I agree, I want to follow your journey. A thread for you I vote!
I'm very happy with my current Subaru dealer, I'd surely go there. Still not sold on a quest thread as I have mentioned getting a new car several times and never seem to. This is far from a certainty, but closer than I think I have ever been since I've had the WRX.

#37 ·
And if you decide to do it, Bill. You know you can go to your dealer, or go to our one and only. A bit of a drive, but seriously, it was the most painless and effortless thing ever. We bought Melissa's there, and then her dad was so impressed, he went and got a legacy from them.. So I say, I think it would be something to consider. And with the STI wing, you'd be able to drop it like it's 'hot'. Someone would be at your doorstep the minute you drove off the lot. Bit of a PITA, but not terrible. Just wear gloves...... But I agree, I want to follow your journey. A thread for you I vote! :beerchug:

#40 ·
Some numbers from the recent C and D test

Focus RS:

0-30mph= 1.5
0-60mph= 4.6
0-100mph= 12.2
0-110= 14.4
¼ mile= 13.4@105mph
5-60= 5.7
Top Gear 30-50= 7.6
Top Gear 50-70= 6.0
Top Speed= 165
Braking 70-0= 158 ft
Skidpad= 0.98g
Slalom= 43.6mph
Curb Weight= 3459 lbs

STI:

0-30mph= 1.4
0-60mph= 4.7
0-100mph= 12.0
0-110= 16.0
¼ mile= 13.4@104mph
5-60= 6.7
Top Gear 30-50= 10.8
Top Gear 50-70= 7.8
Top Speed= 159
Braking 70-0= 159 ft
Skidpad= 0.90g
Slalom= 42.4mph
Curb Weight= 3456 lbs

Golf R:

0-30mph= 1.5
0-60mph= 5.1
0-100mph= 11.8
0-110= 15.3
¼ mile= 13.6@105mph
5-60= 6.1
Top Gear 30-50= 7.3
Top Gear 50-70= 5.9
Top Speed= 153mph
Braking 70-0= 153
Skidpad= 0.95g
Slalom= 43.5mph
Curb Weight= 3292 lbs

#41 ·
Some numbers from the recent C and D test
STI:

0-30mph= 1.4
0-60mph= 4.7
0-100mph= 12.0
0-110= 16.0
¼ mile= 13.4@104mph
5-60= 6.7
Top Gear 30-50= 10.8
Top Gear 50-70= 7.8
Top Speed= 159
Braking 70-0= 159 ft
Skidpad= 0.90g
Slalom= 42.4mph
Curb Weight= 3456 lbs
These numbers confuse me.

C&D bashed the STi in this most recent test. Yet somehow the STi scored significantly lower scores this go-round than when C&D tested the 15 STi back in Oct of 2014... hmmmmm:confused:

I understand that without identical conditions back to back it's hard to compare. But you'd think there would be SOME consistency no?

#43 ·
Car magazine articles bounce all over. Been a regular reader of C&D since the early 90's. Need to read something while taking a dump.

In this case I'm not going to fault them on not being kind to the STi as many of the gripes are legit imo. It was in the context of a comparison. The STi is lagging behind the others. Their commentary on the looks was a bit too much, not that the STi is a looker. It really isn't.

Published performance #s are always approximate indicators at best.

#44 ·
Car magazine reviews are largely driven by what sponsor pays the most.

It's also worth addressing the sti is running on a decades old powerplant and it's still competitive. I'm not sure where the total lateral g numbers come from but I've seen reviews listing far more and far less for the sti and the golf r.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

#47 ·
I think belaboring on magazine specs without test driving each car is futile and ignorant at best.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.