Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I purchased a set of Goldline springs from Ninos Auto recently as I didn't want to have my get even higher with the new wheels.

The springs caught my eye because it had a nice drop, decent rates, and GREAT price! I got them for $140 on Christmas clearance from Ninosauto.

Their site only lists -1.3"/1" F/R, but after speaking with their engineer over the phone I determined their spring rates to be 185/160 F/R, which is 14%/35% stiffer than stock F/R (163/119). Compare this to 171/160 of the eibachs which lower the car the same 1.3/1, and it doesn't seem out of whack at all.

After installing the springs, wow what a total difference. I've installed springs on many other cars before, but never was there THIS much a difference. The car is so much more responsive to steering inputs. It removed body roll almost entirely and makes steering response instantaneous. There isn't a delay like with the stock setup. I point it and it goes.

I haven't had any rubbing (I shouldn't have) with 225/45/ZR17's, and haven't bottomed at all. The ride is stiff, but not the least bit bouncy. The stock dampers seem to work well with these springs, which I'm guessing is partly to do with the fact that they don't drastically drop the car, and the spring rates aren't in the 190+ range.

I ened up with a 1 finger gap in the rear and a 2 finger gap in the front. At first (before I got the springs) I thought I would want it lower in the front, but it worked out nicely once I had them installed.

Before:

After install:

Definitely recommend them.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Looks very nice, especially from the side. Do you have a rear swaybar and endlinks yet. With that you will have even less body roll and more control. How much install time on the springs?
I would imagine lowering the car would give slightly better aerodynamics at highway speeds.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JRod said:
Looks very nice, especially from the side. Do you have a rear swaybar and endlinks yet. With that you will have even less body roll and more control. How much install time on the springs?
I would imagine lowering the car would give slightly better aerodynamics at highway speeds.
No, I plan to get the rear sway bar in the next month or so, as I bought the wheels, tires, and springs all in the same day! :D

Yeah, the car rotates a lot better now (since it stiffened the rear more). I'm thinking I'm going to love it with the new sway bar.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Are the GoldLines progressive or single rate?

Speedpeople.com has them on clearance for $99, and I'm really cheap so I might get them instead of the Eibachs. How have they held up since you put them on?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I asked C about the springs a few months after he purchased them. He was still pretty happy with them. You can call Goldline and they can give you the answer to your question.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tex-wrx said:
I asked C about the springs a few months after he purchased them. He was still pretty happy with them. You can call Goldline and they can give you the answer to your question.
Sorry, I forgot about this thread. Yes, I'm still very happy with them. I haven't had any sagging problems at all nor is the car bouncy. I kept thinking there would be a catch, but there isn't any.

I don't know if they are progressive or not, as I only had them out of the box for a couple mins before I eagerly installed me (It was like Christmas time me for me!).

·
Registered
292 Posts
that front is closer to a 2 inch drop than a 1.3
for sure!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Although I never did get the springs, I called Gold Line and they are indeed progressive. Just in case anyone else is looking at them.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
kit99bar said:
that front is closer to a 2 inch drop than a 1.3
for sure!
No, it's 1.3 and honestly, the gap annoys me in the front. I wish that it was about 1 finger lower. Oh well, it looks good bit is only 98% there IMO for the perfect height (for looks).

It's already low enough though as with OE lip will scrape on big dips or high angle driveways.

·
Registered
183 Posts
TypeC said:
No, it's 1.3 and honestly, the gap annoys me in the front. I wish that it was about 1 finger lower. Oh well, it looks good bit is only 98% there IMO for the perfect height (for looks).

It's already low enough though as with OE lip will scrape on big dips or high angle driveways.
How wide are your rims and tires? 7"/225's? Do you know the offset of the rim too?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
04EJ20 said:
How wide are your rims and tires? 7"/225's? Do you know the offset of the rim too?
225/45/17
17X7.5 +48

hth

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
04EJ20 said:
Nice. I've got 225/50-16's with a 40 offset. So I think they would fit, right?
No, they'll stick out and look very ugly. Anything under +45 is a no go. +53 is stock, +48 is typical aftermarket, +45 is borderline (with it being a bit too small an offset).

hth,
-C

·
Registered
183 Posts
TypeC said:
No, they'll stick out and look very ugly. Anything under +45 is a no go. +53 is stock, +48 is typical aftermarket, +45 is borderline (with it being a bit too small an offset).

hth,
-C
Cool man. Thanks for the reply. I might have to go with STi Springs then.

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
what were you running before? eibachs? i'm about to purchase some kyb struts, and i was planning on prokits, but these seem to be a great price, and they have some sustaining power.

thanks.

dR

·
Registered
149 Posts
I had a set of 18x7.5 w/ 42mm off set, they were fine. Now I have 18x8.5 w/ 48mm off set, thats about a fat as you'd want to go, nut they are still perfect (made for STI). I've ham my GoldLine springs on for over a year & I love 'em! BTW I have a BRAND NEW ste (still in unopened box) for sale. If you local I'll do a deal for $200 INSTALLED! I'm in so cal , & I do MANY installs for people. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts