ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen many saying "don't go uel you lose power" or "you should never do that on a twins scroll" or also "loss of money, no gains." I've also seen a few dyno sheets, and I don't see why not, I don't really mind losing the little bit of low end torque or having a little more lag tbh.

Keep in mind: This is just a daily for me, my winter car, all I want is a good rumble sound and the stock power, I'm not hunting for HP, I just want it to sound pleasant, and I don't like the EL sound, and I don't think it suits the car at all.

I'm thikning of going with Tomei UEL and a faily stock exhaust, I want it to sound good but not make it too loud either. Also probably will get an intake and a BPV eventually, just so it is a bit louder. I suppose it would be a good idea to get it tuned just to make sure that the engine, headers, intake and all that get along together, what do you think? What would be the best way to do so? Any experience with that?

Also concerning warranty, I've seen many saying that tuning the ECU will leave a footprint, if I can say, in the history of the ECU, but I have also heard that if deleted, and driven long enough, that tuning "history" will be far behind and shouldn't affect warranty, coming from someone who had 2 blown up tuned STIs, last one being a 2018 model. Any information on that?

·
12,300 Posts
They will hand you a bill for many thousands of dollars and you will pay. There are numerous ways they can identify a returned to stock vehicle. Realistically the swap to stock is going to be obvious because you are not going to drive tens of thousands of miles with a major issue to try and hide it.

I literally see no point in this modification. You are looking at power ramifications and not the real issue at hand that is uneven exhaust scavenging. This can create an issue with uneven cylinder temperatures that at the end of the day makes knock harder to control. It's why the ej engines have different parameters on certain cylinders.

The smartest move Subaru made with the fa platform was shit canning the unequal length headers. But if you want to risk it you do you. You'll lose turbo efficiency as well but it doesn't seem that important to you.

Reactions: a5m

·
Æternum
21,323 Posts
Don't do stupid shit only because she's pretty.

Also don't do stupid shit just to make the car "sound better."

There are things that some of us learn As we age.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
BooSTIng
2,921 Posts
For the life of me I don't understand why people want to put UEL headers on these cars. I just bought the killer b holy header for my STi, and I cant get it on soon enough.

·
12,300 Posts
For the life of me I don't understand why people want to put UEL headers on these cars. I just bought the killer b holy header for my STi, and I cant get it on soon enough.
I guess to kill drivability in the rpm range the car will spend most of its life. The higher torque out of boost is what makes the sti so much more drivable than the wrx in the gr. So shooting yourself in the foot in that range seems counter intuitive.

Gotta do it for the gram or wtf ever.

·
Æternum
21,323 Posts
Absolutely it's for "street cred"

·
BooSTIng
2,921 Posts
I think these cars sound great with EL manifolds. You ever hear an STi with the killer b header? Love the sound.

·
12,300 Posts
I already hate this community, next time I'll ask elsewhere.
Hope you find the echo chamber you are looking for. We strive to offer advice that benefits the end user instead of reinforcing terrible decisions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There's a way to give advice without sounding like an absolute cock, not necessarily targetting you. Implying that all I want is the "street cred," fuck off, I'm done with that.

Especially when these guy's FAs most of the time sound like turboed Honda fartcans. Most cancerous people I've seen so far are in the Suby groups. Guess the stereotypes aren't wrong

·
12,300 Posts
There's a way to give advice without sounding like an absolute cock, not necessarily targetting you. Implying that all I want is the "street cred," fuck off, I'm done with that.

Especially when these guy's FAs most of the time sound like turboed Honda fartcans. Most cancerous people I've seen so far are in the Suby groups. Guess the stereotypes aren't wrong
You haven't seen cancerous until you go to facebook or reddit and listen to the circle jerk of support for absolutely stupid shit like cheap coilovers, uel headers, jacked ass wheel offsets, pointless big brake kits, intakes without tunes, front mount intercoolers, and all levels of garbage.

Seriously, this topic had been beat to death and we thought burried. It's a brazenly stupid plan to put uel headers on the car. It has been explained in depth elsewhere and the massive popularity of swapping the ej engines to equal length headers by the more knowledgeable should clue you in to the plan being a bad idea.

First off you say the dyno charts show a dip in the low end. That's where you spent the time driving. If you really want to make the car slower on your every day driving that's on you. The issue at hand is it is detremental to the engine. Among other changes you will notice Subaru dropped them on everything but the usdm vehicles a decade or so ago. Then left them only to the sti because it was the only hold out on the ej platform.

The un even cylinder temperatures and exhaust scavenging is part of the reason they have issues. You wind up with a cylinder way hotter than average it's going to be a bad day when it finally fails.

Spend your money on useful things that have wide benefit. Spending money to make the car perform worse because it sounds like a Honda is a stupid move. Be wise with your dollars. You'll need them when the engine eventually goes bang. The Subaru world you pay to play and things get really unreliable and really expensive really fast.

·
12,300 Posts
Oh no! Sorry to see you go.
Remember when a cancerous community was one that suggested poor modifications and bad ideas? Now it's any community that doesn't support shenanigans.

Stances out slammed shit box gets roasted. Obviously cancerous community. Shit on for buying tens of thousands of dollars in bolt on engine bay appearance mods but buy a 500 dollar set of coilovers, obviously cancerous community. Refusal to pump egos, cancerous.

Don't get it.

·
Æternum
21,323 Posts
Remember when a cancerous community was one that suggested poor modifications and bad ideas? Now it's any community that doesn't support shenanigans.

Stances out slammed shit box gets roasted. Obviously cancerous community. Shit on for buying tens of thousands of dollars in bolt on engine bay appearance mods but buy a 500 dollar set of coilovers, obviously cancerous community. Refusal to pump egos, cancerous.

Don't get it.
It's the Big Millenial Narcissist Circus (BMNC)

Everyone is the most important person in the world. "Do you even know who you are talking to?? I am XXXbigDICK6969 on Instagram. My feelings take precedence over logic."

·
12,300 Posts
It's the Big Millenial Narcissist Circus (BMNC)

Everyone is the most important person in the world. "Do you even know who you are talking to?? I am XXXbigDICK6969 on Instagram. My feelings take precedence over logic."
If only you were aware of my legacy username that predates this millennium by a couple years.

Every once in a while I hop on a game with an older player base and enjoy some classics like Phil Acio or Cunning Linguist. Now it's as you suggested, complete lack of tact and subtlety

·
Registered
20 Posts
@LeCoureurDesBois:
If you want to put these parts on your car, then you know what, just go ahead and do it. But what I fail to understand is that if you came from 2, count them 2, blown STIs then you know more about these cars and what NOT to do. While many of us are abrasive, it's because so many people ask these questions without researching first, and finding out what exactly will happen.

You change ANYTHING on a car that is not stock, and you're going to have issues, no doubts or questions at all about that. Period.

If you want the UELHs, that are not even recognized by Tomei Japan and only made by Tomei USA, then go for it. There is no full evidence yet on longevity of these headers because the FA platform is relatively new.

If you want an intake for the noise, then get it, but get one that doesn't have a MAF extension harness.

If you want to get a BPV for sound, then get it, but get one that is fully recirculating or there will be tuning issues.

Point is, everything here you listed, stock is better and more reliable in the long run.

And as far as the tune and warranty, IIR, modern ECUs have CMOS batteries so it will store all data no matter what you do.

PS: Ask elsewhere and you'll get the same thing, anyone who will support you doesn't have the experience most likely. Older, more experienced people will always be more salty, fact of life.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts