ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took me and 2 other people 3 hours to put it in and all I can say is SHWEEEEEET!

Props to Richard and Shane who did the install with me!

This is my first mod and I must say a perfect starting point. The car pulls alot stronger at all revs now.

Thanks for the part Dan, we had no probs getting it in.

Keith

·
Registered
16 Posts
3 hours????

That's pretty quick, from top or bottom?

·
Registered
139 Posts
anyone have dyno proven gains for this uppipe? A stock baseline versus just this mod?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Dyno gains have been shown. Approximately 8 horsepower. Probably less if you have a turbo-back exhaust. Gains at all RPMs, not just the top end.

jb

·
Registered
599 Posts
Yo

Shouldn't it be more w/ a turbo back NOT less?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, everyone knew what to do so it was just a matter of keeping the parts together. The HP gain may not be high but like Jim said, the car pulls better at all RPM's making it alot smoother during acceleration.

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
Enemy,

Nice job on the INSTALL!!!! Do you have any tips you can share with the rest of us three cat complainers?

I guess your car is relatively LOW mileage to get the stock pipe out so fast. Finally a short install time. Dan, I'll be in touch in about two weeks, set an uppipe aside for me.

I'd like to take this opportunity to reitterate that the uppipe catalytic converter is the MOST POWER ROBBING component in a stock WRX!

It will provide 5-7HP at the wheels and a broader torque curve. I also theorize a solid 1 mpg improvement in both city and hwy fuel economy (If you can stay out of the boost!).

-Jim

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Platinum,

Get 3 people to help disassemble the car. Shane was working the whole time on pulling the exhaust out while Richard and I fumbled with the equipment on top.

The hardest part is removing the heat shield as most people know, just be patient and try to get all of the bolts from the top of the car. I fought for a while underneath the car to get the bottom two and had no luck. Finally played with it from up top and they came out.

What worked for us in replacing the uppipe it is to come from the bottom, however you do have to raise the engine. Be prepared with some cinder blocks and a plank to get the jack high enough under the car to raise the engine.

Also, I wasn't prepared nor do I intend at this point to remove the downpipe. But if you want to replace the uppipe and downpipe I recommend doing this all at once. You'll save time and headache.

My car's got 6400 miles on it now, so I fortunatly didn't have to go very long without a modded car ;) I'll be happy with this for quite some time. I do however want to get in the sub 4's one day.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I have my Godspeed Uppipe on order already, just waiting for Dan to get more.

I have about 3400 miles on the car right now, so I'm hoping the bolts aren't going to be a problem. Godspeed recommended to me to do it from above, so that I didn't have to mess with jacking the engine up. Dan, which is the best???

I'll have 2 people helping and we'll have airguns and impact wrenches avail. if needed.

·
Registered
65 Posts
jmussetter said:
Godspeed recommended to me to do it from above, so that I didn't have to mess with jacking the engine up. Dan, which is the best???

I'll have 2 people helping and we'll have airguns and impact wrenches avail. if needed.
I did mine from the top. Piece of cake. Just had to undo the to clips that holds the power steering line and another line, so they could be moved slightly to get that big honkin stock uppipe out. The rest was a breeze.

Jared.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Congrats, Keith! One of these days when I'm in the Atlanta area, I'll look you up so I can check out the car.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
WRXed said:
Congrats, Keith! One of these days when I'm in the Atlanta area, I'll look you up so I can check out the car.
Thanks WRXed,

Not much to see.. unless you're at the redlight just as I take off ;)

·
Registered
476 Posts
up-pipe = *wheeeeee*

if you haven't done godspeed's up-pipe, i *highly* recommend you do it- the cost is nothing compared to its benefits. i did it this weekend, and it's Awesome.
your subie will pull like a beast... dan, you rock.

·
Registered
139 Posts
how does an addtl 8 hp make you pull like a beast?

·
Registered
476 Posts
'beast'

fine. bad choice of words. a bit stretched? yes. i'm sorry. forgiven?

i am saying though, that it's a good bang for the buck purchase.

are you happy now?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ElectronBlueSi said:
how does an addtl 8 hp make you pull like a beast?
It's not the 8hp, it's the opening up of the air flow from the exhaust to the turbo. The turbo spools up faster with the opened air flow making the horsepower and torque more available at lower RPM's.

·
Registered
139 Posts
ahhh...

Thank you for enlightening me obi one....
seriously, so for example does the turbo spool up at 2700 rpms compared to the stock 3000 spool? err something like that?

·
Registered
86 Posts
if you don't have one don't question what other people say about it...
I have one and the car is quite a bit quicker with it, let's just put it that way, it comes on boost at lower engine speed and the boost builds quicker and doesn't fall off on the top end as much.

for $200 bucks and a good time installing it, it's soooooo worth it
if you want to bitch about installing it then don't get one and just play around with boost controllers and melt the pre-cat if that's your wish.

sorry, I'm not trying to be an ass, but show me one person that wasn't totally floored by how much a little pipe could improve the performance of their car and I'll shut up. Hundreds of WRX owners can't be wrong.;)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts