Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, FedEX dropped off a package for me yesterday afternoon. I opened the box up and found my up-pipe in there. Good quality piece. I went over to my friend's house cuz he had a bigger garage. We started taking my car apart at around 4 pm.

After about 3 hours of work and couple of bloody fingers, we finally got the stock up-pipe out. And here is where the drama starts... the damn EGT sensor wouldn't come out!! :mad: After wresting with the stock up-pipe trying to get the EGT sensor out, we totally stripped the bolt. It seemed like the bolt wasn't put in straight from the factory... We were totally bummed.

After doing some search on I-club, I found out that I wasn't the only one who stripped the EGT sensor. Also, I found out that I can just plug up the EGT bung with a bolt and put a 2.2k ohm resistor in the EGT sensor connector. Feeling better about myself after reading that, I put the Godspeed up-pipe on my car and put everything back together. I started the car and the car literally sounded like old school beetle because the EGT bung was left opened. This was around 2 am.

This morning, I stopped by at local Kragen and picked up a bolt(12m * 1.25) and stopped by at Radioshack and picked up some resistors. After I plugged the EGT bung up and put a resistor in the connector, my car sounded normal again(phew!) and I didn't get any CEL.

Performance-wise, let's just say I'm pretty satisfied. I was driving around today with two of my friends in my car(both weigh around 180-190lbs), and I definitely felt difference in power. I have MBC set at around 15 psi and Samco intercooler hoses, and the power stays pretty constant to redline. We'll see what this pipe can do for me at the track in a few weeks. Sorry about the long post, but I tried to make it as short as possible ;)

btw, God, thanx for the up-pipe

I had one quick question. Is it ok to drive around without the turbo heat shield? Some of the bolts are really tricky to put back, and it's rattling because it's not on there tight enough. Thanx!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Testimonials such as yours makes me want to get a shop to do it for me, needless to say they are all charging $200 or so to put it in... :(

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If a shop was charging around $50-70, then I would've taken my car to shop to get it installed. But when the shops are charging $200 + just to install the up-pipe that I paid $200 for, I thought to myself.. a lot of people have done it themselves.. why wouldn't I able to do it?
It turned out to be a 2 day project, but if it wasn't for that EGT sensor, it would've only taken us about 6-7 hours. You just gotta make sure you use WD-40 on ALL the bolts that are exposed to heat. I would say it wasn't an easy task, but considering how much money I saved on labor, I think it was definitely worth doing it myself ;)

Oh yeah, and I'm taking the heat shielf off right now :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts