Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to try linking this in through the tapatalk app, if not I'll post the video as soon as I can

For anyone who remembers me, this is why I'm hoping my engine goes out. I have a warranty from vision...or vision one, and in time with this noise, you can feel it physically in the kick panel. Driver side only as well

Looking for some feedback from anyone if anyone can recognize the sound.
My 09 never made anything like it

My current car is a 2006 wrx wagon. Bone stock

https://youtu.be/k3vMBC3RGbc

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,985 Posts
Have you gotten under the hood with it running to try and zero in on the location of the noise? Mine made a similar sound when I had the leak at the joint in my 2 piece downpipe but I couldn't feel anything (unless I'm hearing a different sound than the one you are referencing).

·
Premium Member
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Eh, it's video...it's always going to be hard to say exactly what it is without actually being there in person, but it does give me areas or ideas to look at and try, so it always helps.

Yeah, from the top it's quiet. You hear injectors, and maybe some valves that need adjustment. From the outside, you have to be underneath it to hear it, and it's a little harder to hear from outside. I can hear it if I listen through the wheel well. The cabin just echoes the sound which was why I recorded it from inside. Still surprised it showed on video

·
Premium Member
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Checking the downpipe area for leaks might be it as well...not sure if it's related but once in a while I do get a scent of raw fuel from my car. You can smell that on cold starts by the tail pipe, but you can also smell it pretty clear in the cabin

·
Super Moderator
10,985 Posts
I would start at the exhaust. In my experience a header leak sounds like a ticking, but its worth looking around it.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
4,041 Posts
Can you take a video outside the car with the hood open and move around the engine bay?

Your video just sounds like a WRX with a catback or an exhaust leak to me.

If the firewall is rattling, your engine mounts and pitch stop might need to be replaced. Thankfully, those are fairly inexpensive parts and are a DIY job.

·
Premium Member
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sure thing, I can get a video of it as soon as I get home. Sometime in the next hour or so

Haven't tried feeling anything in the firewall, I have noticed some vibration in 1st and 2ng gears, so mounts may be to blame as well

Inside the cabin, you could feel it as well. But only on the driver side. Passenger side sounds completely fine as well.

Yeah, give me an hour roughly, I can have it posted then

Any ideas help. Gives me places to look. Header leak sounds pretty reasonable to me too

·
Premium Member
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
https://youtu.be/qH_H3fINAys

Another video from inside again, plus the engine

Much more audible from the interior, I don't think it'll show up on video from the outside.
More audible with the hood closes as well

I feel like an exhaust leak might be to blame. That could explain the fuel smell
But, would it cause that noise, plus being able to feel it? I think it could although I can't explain why

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,985 Posts
Yeah I would check the exhaust gaskets, the header for cracks, and your engine and transmission mounts

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Perfect! Thanks for the feedback guys! Much appreciated
That dog bone was going to be one of the first things out anyway!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts