Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone my name is Art and as my name implies I just bought my first Subaru WRX a week or so ago. It's one of the Series Grey Premium (American version, no moon roof or side mirror directional signal lights). I have it at a local shop getting PPF/Ceramic and tinted. Next is probably the front license plate issue. I found an adapter that allows you to put my California plate into the front bumper using the existing JDM holes. I thought about using the tow hook hole but probably will put tow hooks there instead. It's a brand new world for me I've only driven stock Hondas and stock Dodge trucks before.

My question involves the manual transmission. It's very ...finicky. It's not nearly as smooth as my Honda Prelude was and that was 1985. Can you guys suggest ways to smooth the shifting experience? It has a "short throw shifter" already. I want to stay within warranty if possible. I am aware that mods do not necessarily "void" the warranty per se.

thanks.

·
Super Moderator
10,966 Posts
Patience, practice, and a little time. There isn’t any mod you can do to smooth out the shift

·
Super Moderator
10,966 Posts
It’s a point of heartache for a lot of owners. So far that’s the consensus.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Are you trying to improve the driving feel of your shifts or mechanical feel? There's a few parts people suggest that (may) improve the feel of rowing gears. The only way to smooth out the driving feel is to tune it unfortunately, or get used to it over time like XJ said

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah TREX, I'm just having trouble with the clutch coming out of neutral and moving to first gear, typically at a red light or stop sign. I've driven manuals before and maybe I'm rusty but it seems like i have to be very careful not to drop the clutch too hard and stall out. I actually did this a couple times already but fortunately i wasn't in heavy traffic.

·
Registered
102 Posts
what i encountered was that the clutch was much heavier than i was use to, also the engagement point seemed pretty high. you eventually get use to it.

there are a few mods that can help.

Shift Stop
perrin ,kartboy, factionfab, you can get them from a number of manufactures.
this will help with 1st, 2nd gear engagement.

solid shifter bushing
you can go with perrin's brass bushing, or torque solutions delrin shift bushing
makes shifting tighter, the delrin one kinda retains some of the soft rubber feel.

cobb access port / stage1 ots tune / e-tune / pro tune
while it can cause you to have warranty work denied, ultimately makes the the most difference in early gear shifting, smoothing out daily driving speeds. due to the stock tune's torque request mapping to throttle pedal position it make shifting really boggy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
awesome thanks..i've heard of all three of them but didn't know it would address the heavy clutch and engagement point problem (I didn't even know what engagement point meant I had to look it up). Are they something I can do myself ? Thanks again subiedinner.

·
Registered
102 Posts
awesome thanks..i've heard of all three of them but didn't know it would address the heavy clutch and engagement point problem (I didn't even know what engagement point meant I had to look it up). Are they something I can do myself ? Thanks again subiedinner.
yes, its pretty straight forward, the only thing i remember being difficult was getting the top most bolt for the shift plate cover.

·
Registered
247 Posts
One thing that helped me with the engagement point was turning the hill assist off. It seems too sensitive to me and it's fairly intrusive in my opinion.

After that I pretty much just always found myself slowly testing the grab point at stop lights. You guys must be driving Hondas (not the accord V6) because this WRX had the lightest clutch out of vehicles I drove when looking for it. The STI had a really aggressive and not easy at all clutch to get used to lol

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah the first car i learned to drive as a Nissan Stanza 5 speed and my first car a few years later was a 85 Honda Prelude 5 speed that I drove for 22 years :)..but for the past 11 years I've been driving a auto civic. So this is my first 6 speed and definitely my first sporty/fast car I've ever had. So taking that all in consideration means I have no idea!

·
Registered
550 Posts
I went from a buttery smooth shifting 2003 Honda Accord manual to the 2015 Subaru WRX manual . . . there was most definitely a learning curve which may have involved more than a few stalls . . . but after several awhile you get use to the tractor like shifting.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I went from a buttery smooth shifting 2003 Honda Accord manual to the 2015 Subaru WRX manual . . . there was most definitely a learning curve which may have involved more than a few stalls . . . but after several awhile you get use to the tractor like shifting.
I assume you didn't have a V6. That is a very stiff clutch, and it springs up crazy quick when driving. Almost complete opposite of any other Honda manual but it also performs better than the rest of the pack. I'm curious about the type r and if it's more like traditional Honda or Accord V6. Only curious because I hated the feel of the si in manual. Yes it's smooth but it wasn't engaging to drive

·
Registered
550 Posts
I assume you didn't have a V6. That is a very stiff clutch, and it springs up crazy quick when driving. Almost complete opposite of any other Honda manual but it also performs better than the rest of the pack. I'm curious about the type r and if it's more like traditional Honda or Accord V6. Only curious because I hated the feel of the si in manual. Yes it's smooth but it wasn't engaging to drive
You would be correct . . . it was the 4 cylinder.

And I agree wholeheartedly with you on the SI . . . I tried one and quite frankly I was less than impressed with the ride . . . as you say . . . it wasn't all that engaging to drive.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I looked hard at the Type R actually and the Si...but I kept coming back to the WRX time after time.
I think you made the right choice. Maybe not from a financial standpoint, but driving as a hobby is rarely a good financial decision lol

And I agree wholeheartedly with you on the SI . . . I tried one and quite frankly I was less than impressed with the ride . . . as you say . . . it wasn't all that engaging to drive.
I haven't driven a new model si yet, that was a 2014. I imagine it's the same though, if not worse since they have the R now

1 - 20 of 24 Posts