Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! This thought came across my mind the other day and had me curious... I have a 17 wrx and was wondering, what can you do to get the most sound out of the stock exhaust for as cheap as possible? Still a newbie when it comes to modifying. Any suggestions would be awesome! Thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,451 Posts
Nothing because then it isn't stock.

Cheap exhausts ain't good and good exhausts ain't cheap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,451 Posts
Truth. +1
Well you could poke holes in it with a screw driver. I know some Honda owners who have done it. All kinds of sound.

·
BooSTIng
2,288 Posts
Really, the cheapest option would be replacing your stock axleback with an aftermarket one. That will give you some noise

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You could just do a muffler delete and call it a day. That's one of the most popular "cheap" mods to get a bit more sound.
After the one person suggested just axleback, I looked up a video of exactly what you just mentioned and its looking like the move! Thanks man

·
Super Moderator
11,451 Posts
Then that's not the stock exhaust.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lol, to be fair. Doesn't make it stock either.......
True, but if the only thing you did to your car, let alone your exhaust was an axleback and someone came up to you and asked you what you did to it, the average person wouldn't say "its an aftermarket exhaust". Probably something along the lines of "Everything's stock but I put an axleback on." At least, that would be the correct answer.

·
Super Moderator
11,451 Posts
Right, and that means you put an exhaust on it.

Your original question should have been what are the best reasonably priced exhaust mods for getting some more sound.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Right, and that means you put an exhaust on it.

Your original question should have been what are the best reasonably priced exhaust mods for getting some more sound.

Still got the answer I was looking for... But appreciate you trying to help bud

·
Super Moderator
11,451 Posts
All I can give you is this advice.

Cheap exhausts won't last, you'll pay less money several times making it cost more than the quality exhaust up front. It's worth buying a great exhaust from a company like invidia, Corsa, nameless, ETS. Than a cheap eBay exhaust that will likely rust at the welds in no time.

From what I've always been told flow through exhausts similar to those like magna flow will offer a great blend of sound and exhaust gasses will flow faster through them than a traditional muffler delete due to the lower friction in the muffler. Because of the perferated pipe on the inside the air creates a cushion that allows flowing exhaust gas to move faster and not tumble off the walls.

·
Registered
15 Posts
All I can give you is this advice.

Cheap exhausts won't last, you'll pay less money several times making it cost more than the quality exhaust up front. It's worth buying a great exhaust from a company like invidia, Corsa, nameless, ETS. Than a cheap eBay exhaust that will likely rust at the welds in no time.

From what I've always been told flow through exhausts similar to those like magna flow will offer a great blend of sound and exhaust gasses will flow faster through them than a traditional muffler delete due to the lower friction in the muffler. Because of the perferated pipe on the inside the air creates a cushion that allows flowing exhaust gas to move faster and not tumble off the walls.

100% true.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Getting a 3" J-pipe (catless usually) and getting your factory resonator deleted will make your stock axleback much more pronounced under throttle, but still relatively quiet.

Then of course your stock axleback becomes a small restriction.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts