ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made an appointment for my car to have the spoiler LED lights that went out replaced on Saturdday. But before I made the appointment I have been debating on some mods. I was tossing around acouple ideas and the short throw came to mind. So on Saturday my dealer will beputting in the STi short throw for me.

For those that have this, what are your experiencees iwth it? Is it better or smoother than the stock WRX shifter? Hows the feel? Althoguh Im not too concerned with this, is it easier to miss gears, although shuldnt be a problem although might take some getting used to.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I have nothing but good to say about it. I can't compare it to stock because I ordered mine with the sti short shifter. Hardened bushings do make a difference. Get either cusco or kartboy bushings for your sti short shift and shifting will be even better. :)

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Buddy of mine has the stock and mine is a much stiffer, shorter, and more pleasant throw than stock. Don't think it really looks any different.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Had my car a month before installing the sti short throw. Quality part. Doesn't change the selecting (left to right movement) but does change the shift throws (from neutral into gear) by 30%. Also, the sti part doesn't have the rubber isolator as does the oem part for a more direct & notchy feel.

It seems like the height of the shifter is also reduced some what or it could just feel that way due to my new Momo knob.

I did the install myself and i was impressed that the WRX uses a solid shift rod from the shifter directly to the transmission rather than a cable set-up.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
i have the sti short throw on my wrx when i bought the car used from a dealer. therefore, don't really know the difference between stock and mine. but i can tell you that i am happy with the way it throws....

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I got the STI short throw shifter on my car when I bought it...the shifting is a lil notchy when just cruising around town but it def. feels solid in racing situations...personally I would like a lil more solid feel so I'm goin to get the upgraded bushings. I also wish the shifter was a little shorter but since it is the assembly and goes into the tranny theres nuthin that can really be done about it.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I got the STI short throw a few weeks after I bought my car. It worked for me. Throws are definitely shorter. I agree that it is a little notchy during cruising, but it isn't much of a problem. During racing situations it has never let me down (although I've let it down a few times :rolleyes: ). I found it to be a good buy.

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
For those doing the install themselves, I've posted a tutorial here and at scoobymods.

I put one in my 02 and within a week a put one in my 04, no comparison between it and oem- I "su8ffered" for a week. The STi shifter comes w/ stiffer bushings than oem- I checked this time. Not as stiff as urethane ones offered by Kartboy/Cusco/others.

Big Sky

·
Registered
16 Posts
Shouldn't have a problem with missing shifts. I'm very satisfied with mine. I drove a 2.5gt legacy with the normal shifter, but haven't driven a wrx with the normal one so I can't make a direct comparison. It's feel isn't a problem while cruising either.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Also, for those who are interested, the throws are similiar to the kartboy shifter, with the kartboy probably being a little bit shorter. The STI shifter retains stock knob height, while the kartboy drops it about 2-3 inches or so. The kartboy bushings are also definitely stiffer than the ones that come w/ the STI shifter.

Info from direct comparison of my 04 w/ kartboy vs my friends 02 w/ sti shortthrow.

Either way, 100x better than stock, can't go wrong.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts