Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the Tampa FL area and I picked up a blank STi Key the other day. I went to a locksmith to get it cut and he said that the key was too hard to cut, and it would ruin his machine. I then proceeded to go to Home Depot where they only cut the keys they sell. So if anyone in the Tampa area had any luck with getting their STi key cut, could you pass on the information of where you got it cut?
-Thanks

·
1,263 Posts
Go to a dealer. THis is what I did and they did it for free only last week. They should have the ability to go on a Subaru database, input your VIN and it will give them a 5 digit 'ignition ID number'. Then comes the cool part. They put the blank in a cutting machine and plug in the id # and it cuts the key automatically to your ignition!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah thats the way it should be. The problem is when i bought the key at Mastro Subaru I asked the guy if he could cut the key for me. He said that they couldn't because they use the hand key cutter and that the STi key doesn't fit into it. So he suggested that I take the key to a locksmith where they would have the ability to cut it for me. Well... it's apparently too hard for them to cut without ruining their machine.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I went to a locksmith shop and they cut the key no problem. It cost like $3 or something. The local hardware store did refuse to try to cut it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok well I just called the Subaru dealership in Sarasota and they said that they had the machine to do it, and wouldn't charge me anything to cut it. So I will make the drive down there. Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I just went to a key/shoe repair shop in the mall and he even did it for free. worked fine :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Ace Hardware on Hillsborough Ave right down the street from Mastro (I am assuming you picked up the key at Mastro) will do it with no problems. It's in the shopping center just behind the Checkers.

I picked up my STi key (it didn't come with the car due to a mistake and I was given a blank) a few weeks back and Ace cut it inside of 20 seconds. Cost: $1.16.

No need to waste the gas to drive out to Sarasota.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I went to a local dealer and the as**** behind the desk told me I needed my license, some other ID, registration and something else I didnt have so I told her to eat it and left. Went to the other dealer in the area and give the guy my original key and I was out in 5 minutes, no cost.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well... I got the key cut at Ace Hardware on Hillsboro ave tonight. It took less then a minute and only cost $1.39 including tax. So my mission is complete thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Funny how some people are when they see a weirdo key like this. I took mine to a regular key shop, and asked if they'd agree to pay me $40 if they f'd it up. The guy laughed at me, cut it on the hand cutter in about two seconds, and it worked perfectly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts