Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday as most of us noticed, thousands of posted pictures on clubWRX went "blank" when Photobucket, worldwide, without any advance notice removed over 10,000,000,000 "third party" photos, demanding a "ransom" that a person could start to post them in the future if they paid $399.95 per year. And nowhere in writing did I see that if I were to stupidly pay that amount, that they would restore all my pictures on my several car forums. Screw them for so many reasons.

This action removed 15 pictures in my "WRX John's Build" thread. (To 90% restore it, I spend over 30 minutes doing a work around). However, there are thousands of photobucket pictures in clubWRX alone that will never be restored by me and others.

After spending about four hours yesterday trying many other free picture hosting sites, thanks to a friend on a another-car-brand forum, this is my new "go to," though as always, I will always keep all my pictures on on own computer/iPad.

Nice thing about Post Image is that you do not need to register(another password I do not need to remember), therefore of course free, we do not surrender our whole picture files to them (just posting the individual picture you want to post), do not need to name your image or other silliness, it is the fastest and easiest process one can imagine, and you can instantaneously choose whether to post a thumbnail or a "full screen" pic. Find the type of image you wish to post and where, and click on the little icon on the right side of that line.

Use "hot link for forums" for full size images.

·
Super Moderator
10,985 Posts
I mean, do you think all that sotrage and bandwidth is free for them?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
#firstworldproblems

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is first world problem. No argument, but when a member wishes to see a series of photographs on a DIY for a mod they are in the middle of, and they can no longer see detailed, step by step pictures that were originally posted using photo_bucket, not a happy day for them.

And as for XJman's question above, even though not required, I logged in and worked my around a lot of their site, and over and over again they repeat that usage of their site is free -- and did not see anywhere to pay. Though I think since it is only for "personal, non-profit usage,' if you were using it for business purposes, there probably would be a charge (or then again you might not be allowed to use it).

I have tried Post Image on three different car forums (Stingrayforums and Mazda3Revolution where I also post) and it is repeatedly working easily and excellently on them.

·
Super Moderator
10,985 Posts
So the issue is specifically here and places using images for profit? I'm not seeing the grand issue?

A site offers to host pictures for free over a decade ago. The internet evolves into what it is today. The free model can't survive.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would have been fine with paying $25/year to continue posting using Photobucket, but to set it at $399.95/year.

I was asked on another forum to do a DIY for how to post pictures using Post Image, so if any would want:

A mini DIY for Post Image for your pictures, for a mini is all that it will take. And again you do not need to register, just do the following:

1) Go to and open "Post Image." It will look like this:

2) Click inside the "Choose Images" rectangular box:

3) Computer or iPad or phone will open up to your images. Click on the one(s) you want, and then on some phones, iPads and more, click on "Done";

4) Wait for the below box to open up, and if you have bionic eyes, watch it hyper speed scroll to 100%.

5) Then choose, for a full size photo, "Hotlinks for forums." You just click on the little rectanglular box to the right of that line (with a blue clipboard with a white page partially superimposed on top of it) and immediately it will say "copied."

6) Go to the exact place on your forum post where you want to insert your photo, and "paste" into that location." [Note, once it says copied, and until you post it and hit "quick reply' (as you would for every forum post you are making), you will not see your image, but a "computer code for it."

Note: If you prefer just posting a thumbnail sized pic, click on "Thumbnail for forums" instead.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
since you are a "supporting member" on clubwrx.net, why not take advantage of the increased attachment space and just upload your attachments to the site directly...?

·
Registered
58 Posts
So the issue is specifically here and places using images for profit? I'm not seeing the grand issue?

A site offers to host pictures for free over a decade ago. The internet evolves into what it is today. The free model can't survive.

They make plenty of money via ads and such I am sure.

I simply use imgur. It's the easiest, and you can create albums and stuff.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A great option too. Often I do/have done just that. Always looking for more options, and not just options for me, and if a member is not a supporting member but wishes to post lots of pictures, Post Image is a replacement choice for them since photobucket took that one away.

·
Super Moderator
10,985 Posts
They make plenty of money via ads and such I am sure.

I simply use imgur. It's the easiest, and you can create albums and stuff.
They make nothing off ads if the photo is linked elsewhere.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I mean, do you think all that sotrage and bandwidth is free for them?

Im sorry but doing a DIY or posting photos of your car (or any hobby) to any forum is not making that person any money

And Yes photobucket has offered free hosting over a decade, it was a pain to navigate, constant ads, and have to watch full advertisements when uploading photos,
this most people thought was why it was FREE, because such a pain to even use but everyone was used to it.... for over a decade!

If you think a free model cannot survive then what is Google? If you think the internet is evolving into pay to use that is completely wrong, more services are becoming
available for free on the internet (medical advice, cable, games, movies, etc..... and even internet services -WIFI)

You can tell i am kind of upset, there is nothing that said i would have to pay $400 a year to host pictures, you can get your own website for cheaper with GIGS on GIGS of storage.
I have been in the car community since internet made it past AOL (dialup) and have put in dozens of write ups for modifications, installations, and fixing stuff, its just to bad in the world of internet today people will not be able to get those pictures for reference, people that just post one line sentences may not be affected the same

·
Super Moderator
10,985 Posts
Google sells your private information in a way nobody else can compete with. Google knows more about you and your opinions and likes than even you do. Google has billions of dollars to invest into making money. Photobucket does not. The fact you made that comparison tells me you don't know how the internet works.

Photobucket has every right to charge, and 400 a year doesn't seem that outrageous for the abuse it gets.

·
Registered
62 Posts
is there a hosting site that has an mobile app as well so i can upload from phone and computer?

·
Super Moderator
10,985 Posts
Imgur

·
Super Moderator
10,985 Posts
Yes, that one...
It works well for stupid stuff. Plus you can share your photos to the public there and get crapped on by uptight elitists who post the same thing every day.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts