ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after going around town and talking to several body shops I've decided to just buy painted skirts from online and install them myself. It just sounds like the OEM ones, if painted will chip and peel terribly over time...

So what are the best sideskirts to buy online for price? I know the subaruparts.com ones are just painted OEMs, but are there some slightly more body kit-ish looking ones that will fit? Prices? Any help back I'd really appreciate.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
id just get them painted at the shop. why have 2 pairs of sideskirts? im sure it will be cheaper at a shop too. most places only charge $100 more or less.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
KoreanBeefcake said:
id just get them painted at the shop. why have 2 pairs of sideskirts? im sure it will be cheaper at a shop too. most places only charge $100 more or less.

That's what I thought too... but after driving around talking to shops, most wanted at least $200, most saying they wouldn't be able to give me a lifetime guarantee as it would be "painting plastic." Maaco of all places wanted $300 :eek3: . So that's why I'm thinking about just getting a pair online, would be about the same price without the risk of the paint peeling..

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
do you have any local technical colleges around? my college has an automotive course and im going to be having them paint mine for like $30

you can always paint them yourself for like $60-70 i think. there was a thread about it here a while ago. i think "crazycam" wrote a tutorial on it.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
KoreanBeefcake said:
do you have any local technical colleges around? my college has an automotive course and im going to be having them paint mine for like $30

you can always paint them yourself for like $60-70 i think. there was a thread about it here a while ago. i think "crazycam" wrote a tutorial on it.

Seems like the chances of them fukcing the job up would outweigh the cost... You know if most offer guarantees or anything?

Most people just look at the plastic and say "those aren't meant to be painted, it'll fall off/peel..."

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
cb259 said:
Seems like the chances of them fukcing the job up would outweigh the cost... You know if most offer guarantees or anything?

Most people just look at the plastic and say "those aren't meant to be painted, it'll fall off/peel..."
when it comes to projects like that from customers, only select students are allowed to do it. usually the ones that are just about finished with school and usually aleady do it for a living. you would have to ask the teacher about guarantees and such.

i know when people want stuff welded together at my welding class, only the students on their last quarter are allowed to do them and the teacher is usually still helping. and if things get rediculously tough or someone messes up the teacher fixes it or pays the customer whats its worth..

edit: ive taken mine to some shops that say they are impossible to paint. basically they are either too lazy to do it or arnt a very good shop. it shouldnt cost more than $100 or so, otherwise find another shop or do it yourself.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Once upon a time I took my WRX to numerous reputable paintshops for quotes. They all said the same thing. I know the paint on the hood chips enough, I sure don't need to deal with chipping, peeling sideskirts. So, I bit the bullet and paid nearly $300 to my local dealer for factory colormatched WRB sideskirts. I'm sure you can get a better deal at www.subaruparts.com or somewhere else that sells Subaru stock parts. You could probably find some other vendors with a simple google search. The dealer also wanted to charge $60 labor to install them, which was an even bigger ripoff than the parts. It's a very simple install and takes about 10 minutes.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bone138 said:
Once upon a time I took my WRX to numerous reputable paintshops for quotes. They all said the same thing. I know the paint on the hood chips enough, I sure don't need to deal with chipping, peeling sideskirts. So, I bit the bullet and paid nearly $300 to my local dealer for factory colormatched WRB sideskirts. I'm sure you can get a better deal at www.subaruparts.com or somewhere else that sells Subaru stock parts. You could probably find some other vendors with a simple google search. The dealer also wanted to charge $60 labor to install them, which was an even bigger ripoff than the parts. It's a very simple install and takes about 10 minutes.

Probably what I'll end up doing...

I read somewhere that you needed to drill bigger holes for the new skirts to fit?? What does the install require doing exactly?

·
Registered
215 Posts
cb259 said:
Probably what I'll end up doing...

I read somewhere that you needed to drill bigger holes for the new skirts to fit?? What does the install require doing exactly?
No, they're a direct fit. You just need a flathead screwdriver and a short phillips head. Most of the clips come off by prying with the flathead. The one clip that attaches the sideskirts to the inner front wheelwell has to be partially unscrewed with the phillips head and pryed the rest of the way.

·
Registered
158 Posts
KoreanBeefcake,

What college is it that you're getting your sideskirts painted? I live close to you. Can I get in on a deal like that?

Joel

·
Registered
99 Posts
I picked up a set of WRB sideskirts from an STi. InfamousWRX had them from a friend who got the Chargespeed body kit. Got the nicer-looking and pre-painted STi ones used for only $180. As soon as i finish breakfast, they're going on.

·
Registered
181 Posts
i went to a body shop the other day, and they quoted me $300 to paint both "rocker panels" thats what they call them. i kept on saying side skirts just to piss him off. yea im not goin back there

1 - 14 of 14 Posts