Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know hoy to defeat the daytime running ligh feature on the WRX??? I reallly hate not having the option of having my lights on or off......

·
Registered
12 Posts
yeah, good question. i know it has something to do with the e-brake. when you pull it up, they go off. i bet there's some sorta wire in there, and you can rig a toggle switch or something...

[ June 17, 2001: Message edited by: monkeytronZ ]

·
Registered
19 Posts
I dont know how to rig a toggle switch for it but on I club there was a thread on how to disable them. It's very easy. Right behind the filter box you'll see a black plastic covering that has 2 fasteners that you just turn and remove. There are a bunch of electrical connectors there that look like the kind that plug into the headlights. There is one on the very bottom of the cluster (underneath) and that's the one you unplug and voila no more daytime running lights everything else works normally though. Sorry if there are no pics or anything I'd list the link on I club but it's down at the moment so dont blame me if you mess something up. :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the link. There is a little switch with a pink wire for the hand brake. I almost decided to turn the switch 90 degrees to permanently ground it, but that would leave the brake light on all the time. Your mod is much better. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
EASY WAY

This may sound really stupid.... but it works, its free, and it doenst require any mods.

PULL THE E-BRAKE UP 1 NOTCH.....

It will not be engaged at all, and will not wear on the E-brake internals themselves. and hey.... its free....

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
not the ebrake

don't just leave your ebrake on. aside from the annoying light always on on the dash, you'll stretch your cable. driving with in on in cold weather will significantly wear the brake beyond normal levels.

the mod is simple. the scooby mod page should have it (that's how i did mine) but follow these simple steps.

1) open the hood and find the fusebox. it's on the left side by the strut tower if you are facing the grill.

2) get on the passenger side wheel over the strut tower, and look down the front of the fuse box.

3) look for a metal box, about the size of a big pack of gum. attached vertically right next to the box.there is a plug clipped into the bottom (like a big phone plug)

4) contort your hand and arm to get underneath, and pull out the plug. this isn't really that hard once you find the right angle.

5) here is where you have a choice. you can either remove the whole assembly (PITA imo) with a screw driver (there isn't a lot of room to get in there)

or just tape up the plug with electrical tape (to assure no water gets in the plug) and tape the loose plug to the side of the metal box. (so it looks clean) that's what i did (and most people do) and i've had, and heard of no problems yet. email or PM me with any Q's

here's the direct link to the instructions i used. very easy and quick Click Here

dR

·
Registered
21 Posts
a little late but

The two bolts are 10 mm and you can get your ratchet in there. You can also search local auto parts for a plastic/rubber cover that will fit over the open end of the DRL connector. Much cleaner imo. Hope this helps

John

·
Registered
25 Posts
Damn you people are really itchy for an easy DIY mod aren't you? So what, its daytime running lights, do you really need to go messing around with the electrical system and possibly mess something up? Ive heard stories of people doing even really simple mods and screwing up the car bigtime. Can having lights on during the day really be THAT bad?? I mean, i can understand if having lights on during the day would eat up the cars power or whatever. Just my opinion...:confused:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Alley....

Just like everything else in life, you have your opinion which I am sure is shared by many others, and then there are those of the

Opposing view

I myself, like to have control over when my lights are on and when they are off. I was not really going to do this to the car until I found myself driving at night with the DRLs...if they had not been on, I would have noticed right away and used full headlights.
That was my major reason for this. Also, I am an electical engineer and can atest that doing this mod will not harm the cars electrical system in any way.

So if you like your DRLs, keep em, if not, here is your choice.
What freedom is all about, right?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sorry, i dont mean to sound like an A-hole and i respect your veiws. I was just curious why ditching the DTRL's would really be necessary, besides feeling better for doing a mod. Of course doing this mod would not hurt the cars electrical in any way, if done right. But if done wrong, subaru is going to want answers lol.

·
Registered
38 Posts
NP alley :D

The more info the better, even if it's something you might never want to do, it's nice to know how, eh?

i.e. build atom bomb???

·
980 Posts
from what i have heard, defensive driving classes teach you to drive with your lights on all the time. Certainly a state trooper would understand that you are being courteous running your lights in full daylight, even when he clocked you at 105 in that 25mph school zone :D

-c

·
Registered
15 Posts
I used to have the drl's disconnected because I thought the lights looked odd on during daylight hours. Recently I reconnected them. My feeling now is that I'd feel stupid if I got in an accident because someone didn't see me coming. The drl's might prevent such a thing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
drl delete

there is a relay for your drl in back of your glove box i believe its about ten screws or so. Once the glove box is out of the way you will see two plugs blue and black right behind that is the drl relay just unplug it and your good to go and make sure to put that glove box back in:)

·
Registered
989 Posts
there is a relay for your drl in back of your glove box i believe its about ten screws or so. Once the glove box is out of the way you will see two plugs blue and black right behind that is the drl relay just unplug it and your good to go and make sure to put that glove box back in:)
First post to a thread from 2002? I think he got it fixed by now, or at least I hope.:rotfl:

Weclome nonetheless.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.