ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was all set to do this after a very happy experience with my Stage 1 OTS 91 flash on 2011 wrx hatch two weeks ago. Car has 500 miles. Plan is Stage 2 91 OTS with Cobb catted dp. Recently, have read some posts about intercooler hoses blowing off at Stage 2 on 2011's. I know that this is a really simple thing to fix if one is a DIYer, but I am not. I am a non-racing, daily drving WRX guy who happened to test drive and fall in love. I was shopping for a base Impreza and made the mistake of a WRX test drive. When my car is ill I take it to someone. A little thing is a big thing to me as I have no idea what it is. At Stage 2 I have all kinds of obvious bits bolted on so 3 year warranty dealer work is a PITA.

As a lover of my 2011 WRX stage 1, but not a WRX DIY hobbiest, am I opening myself up to more pain, than gain at Stage 2? Are there other little stage 2 tweeks that the hobbiest laughs at and fix, but would drive me nuts--and to a mechanic?

Advice and experience appreciated.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
That sounds very unlikely that your intercooler hose would pop off unless someone was messing with it in the first place and didn't tighten it enough...especially on a brand new car like yours.

Hit us up for a Cobb downpipe.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should say this is in no way meant to be a slam on Cobb, but more of a question regarding is a stage 2 mod best done with DIY owners, rather than non-mechanics like myself who open the hood and see lots and lots of hoses and wires and have little idea what they do. As for intercooler hose popping off, a user on another forum had it happen to a stock 2011, and stated that dealer said it was a common issue in 2011's so maybe it has nothing to do with increased boost. A few folks posted a "happened to me too" reply.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Honestly, worrying about that isn't worth your time. If it did happen, just takes a socket wrench and screw driver to put them back on.

Go for the bigger boost, enjoy your car.

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
I agree with Kronos on this. You may not be a DIYer, but it is not a difficult fix if it happens.

Besides, you said yourself there are accounts happening on stock cars, so why not?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
Are you sure it wasn't just the vacuum line hose behind the intake manifold that was popping off? Mine popped off twice under spirited driving and once during my protune. I added a hose clamp. Done.

...It's a known issue. I found it silly that Subaru never even put one on there, considering the nipple is horizontal.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In my case, I am not sure of anything when it comes to cars. Seriously, the depth of my automotive know how is at the very shallow end of the pool. I had to google an image of wrx intercooler to make sure it was the thing under the scoop. Sounds like loose hoses may be just the deal, mod or no mod. This is the only "issue" I have seen on the web in conjunction with a stage 2 2011. I am sure some street racers blow stuff up but that's not my demographic. Anything else I should be aware of? Again, I am a daily driver who occasionally opens it up to pass or climb a steep grade-- I'm 49 and this is a mid life crisis car.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
I have never in my life had an issue with an OTS stage 2 Subaru and I've owned more than I care to remember.. Even one upwards of 200,000 miles. If something trivial were to happen the same shop doing the stage 2 work would simply be able to fix it without breaking the bank.. We aren't talking about blowing motors here we are talking about the possibility of a hose coming off because of boost pressure and not being re-tightened good enough.

Lokey, please post a pic of the Hose you had to add a clamp too.

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
T0rque said:
I have never in my life had an issue with an OTS stage 2 Subaru and I've owned more than I care to remember.. Even one upwards of 200,000 miles.
I've taken some less than ideal datalogs from Cobb mapped cars, but one size fits all doesn't always work, and that can be said for any base map out there.

That's not an attempt to deter the OP, just be aware of the limitations. Cobb has their reputation for a reason. The problem is that people don't datalog, so they often don't know something is wrong if they hit target boost.

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
I've taken some less than ideal datalogs from Cobb mapped cars, but one size fits all doesn't always work, and that can be said for any base map out there.

That's not an attempt to deter the OP, just be aware of the limitations. Cobb has their reputation for a reason. The problem is that people don't datalog, so they often don't know something is wrong if they hit target boost.

+1. My Cobb Stage 2+ datalogs were a bit "sloppy"...nothing terrible, but not within my comfort range. It all worked out, because their map encouraged me to get a protune. :)

·
Registered
279 Posts
+1. My Cobb Stage 2+ datalogs were a bit "sloppy"...nothing terrible, but not within my comfort range. It all worked out, because their map encouraged me to get a protune. :)
No doubt I'll end up following in your shoes Lokey, after I install the downpipe and intake christmas, e-tune will follow asap afterwards! haha

To the OP, I agree with just about everything the guys here have said. I mean, I'm by no means a mechanic or highly educated when it comes to the automotive side of things (I'm only 20), but as long as you're willing to learn, if you ever have any problems, most likely someone on here will be gladly willing and able to help you. I've learned a great deal from the guys on here, and trust me once you start learning about your car and working on it yourself, you'll gain a greater appreciation for it and learn to love working on it :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks

Really appreciate the advice. I think the "pay to play" statements make a lot of sense, and I am letting that realization settle in. This is my first sports car, and first car of any kind that I love--i'm knocking on the 50 year old door, so it's about time! I take it out and drive it for the heck of it. I am 16 all over again, wiling to do any family chore so long as it means driving. The stage 2 mod is calling me. I have a bunch of friends who have done it to 2002--2010 wrxs and love it. All have been Cobb OTS. Some of them are handy; others not.

I think I am going to go for it and ask the Cobb folks who are installing the dp about some reasonable precautions to take, for maintaing my car, as well as sound turbo driving habits. I am not a WOT guy, so I think that adds a measure of safety as well. I am also getting a boost, and oil pressure gauge added, which I feel is important.

The internet is a double edged blade. Folks with mechanical issue post, which especially for the car-ignorant like me, can be interpreted as "all wrx's have issues x,y,z."

For what it's worth, I spoke with a respected local mechanic who does not work for Subaru, but who works on lots of higher end cars--BMW, AUDI, WRX, Porsche--and while he made it crystal clear to me that Stage 2 was going to mean 100% bye bye on the factory warranty, he feels it's highly unlikely that I will need it. He also feels that the larger diameter dp used in stage 2 is better for the health of the motor, said the motor "breathes much better," and that he has seen zero stage 2 issues from DD types.

Really appreciate the advice. This is a great forum. Big on information;small on 'tude.

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
Isn't it a great feeling to enjoy taking a drive? My wife takes advantage of this constantly, and has turned me into the errand-running machine. I don't mind at all, so it's a win-win.

Good choice on the gauges. You may also want to consider a wideband o2 (afr); I'm adding one next week.

No modification does a complete "bye bye" to your warranty. If Subaru cannot attribute an issue to something you have altered or modified from the factory spec, it is required to be covered. Please read your warranty carefully. This is an agreement between buyer and seller and therefore cannot be unilaterally "voided" by one side. There are merely "exceptions to coverage." I like to use this example - If your altenator fails, being Stage 2 had nothing to do with that. Subaru is therefore required to cover it. Make sense?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think I am going to go for it and ask the Cobb folks who are installing the dp about some reasonable precautions to take, for maintaing my car, as well as sound turbo driving habits. I am not a WOT guy, so I think that adds a measure of safety as well. I am also getting a boost, and oil pressure gauge added, which I feel is important.
If you're not a WOT guy, why do you want a Stage 2 tune? Also, given your desire to mod your car, it's going to be helpful for you to learn as much about it as you can.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts