Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I'm reaching out to you all because i wanted to get more information about upgrading my cars transmission. I currently drive a 2013 Subaru WRX sedan. My goal is to be able to upgrade that car as much as possible. My next paycheck i'll be purchasing a new clutch and flywheel. Anyways i wanted to know if i can possibly swap out the transmission from a 5sp to a 6sp transmission. If so what is recommended for the WRX? i spoke to a few reps from Subaru and they said it was possible but the 2013 model needed a lot more parts change to be able to do a transmission.

Any recommendation? What do i look for when choosing a new transmission for my engine and car? I know i need to determine size and what not. But do i have to look for specific ratings.

I'd appreciate even the simplest of assistance. Also i don't have a ton of mechanical knowledge but this i will be a project car in which i will be working on.

·
Super Moderator
10,985 Posts
Yeah you can, or you could cut out the middle man and the upwards of 10k price tag and just buy an sti.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Æternum
15,576 Posts
It's more fiscally responsible to sell the WRX and buy an STI.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
What you want is the 07+ STI six speed (or Legacy Spec B). If you're planning any transmission upgrade I wouldn't waste your money on a clutch and flywheel for your current transmission. As previously stated, the most logical thing to do would be to sell the car and buy a STI. Otherwise you're going to want to get the six speed, clutch, flywheel, shift linkage, driveshaft, rear diff, axles, hubs, brakes, 5x114 wheels, and a DCCD controller. You can piece it together using less parts and save some money, but you'd be missing out on a lot of the upgrades that way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts