ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after owning the car for a few months I've decided I'll strive to keep my warrantee as long as possible. This being said I'd like to do cosmetic mods first. a store I go to ever day (literally), so as you'd imagine I'm pretty good with the owner, and we help each other out sometimes. He's got an older Viper (not sure what year) so as you'd imagine he's decently into cars. I told him i was interested in getting my stock BBS sti rims touched up of the curb rash, and powder-coated black. Right after I mentioned this he got on his phone with his mechanic im guessing, maybe even body shop? I'm not sure, but said 'a friend of mine wants his 2011 wrx sti rims fixed up and powder-coated black." after getting off the phone he says, "my buddy will touch them up, powder-coat them, and re-mount the summer rubber for $600" I was wondering if this was a really good deal or what-not? Any other suggestions that may be a better idea or something? (I decided to find out prices because I mentioned getting new rims and somebody had said the stock BBS rims I have are much much better quality then most of the stuff for decent prices.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
The stock BBSs are really nice. Can't knock them. I'd love to have a set for my 05 STI.

I think that's a little expensive for powdercoating, but may be an alright price since that does include everything, especially if they know what they are doing to repair the rash. I've never really seen anyone charge more than $100 per wheel for PC...so then you're seeing $100 to remove tires/mount/balance them back on, and $100 for repairs...I guess it's about average to better pricing you have there.

And for the record, they are wheels, not rims. The wheel has a rim on it ;)

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
All depends on place and their quality.

Here in western PA I have seen posted prices from $50 to $200 per wheel for the PC alone (seems to depend on the amount of prep required, like media blasting)

As long as their PC work looks good, and you trust that they can fix the rash well, $600 doessn't sound too bad to me.

Out of curiousity, would this be flat black, satin black, high gloss, or metalic?

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The first thing I thought was, 'wow $600?! I was expecting to pay upwards of 1k!' but then again I am just getting into the car scene so I'm not knowledgable on prices. I'm such a fool, the entire time I was typing the first post I kept telling myself, "wheels, not rims, wheels, not rims"

and Demon, with your color question, I wasn't exactly sure on that, maybe you can give me some advice/suggestions on that too? I wanted to get them black because 1. I think cars with black rims look nicer then the grey, when the cars in motion. 2. I can't keep up with all the brake resin on my wheels. I spend $20 at the wash once a week (a self serve wash no less!) and without "tire bryte" (i think thats the name, its a neon orange like spray bottle) I can't seen to get it nice and clean. This being said, I'm not gunna get black and just ignore them, I will still clean the wheels, it will just be easier to look cleaner I feel like. The easiest black to achieve this with would probably be a flat black, but any suggestions/advice would be really appreciated, thanks. (Flat black is like matte black right? I believe someone around this forum just got dave mirra's sti, That sti has the black i like.)(also, almost positive i saw that car the other day on rt 80)

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
Specific color and finish is a completely personal choice....get what you think looks best.

If it were me, it would be a metallic gloss black, but that is just me.

As for cleaning, if you choose a gloss, maybe you want to invest about $15, and some time in waxing your wheels...I have heard from local car guys that this stuff makes cleaning a breeze....like you basically just spray the dust off.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Haha and you said rims again :p

Waxing wheels is key for protection and easy of cleaning. I agree with Demon...a nice gloss black would look very nice with a white car (yours is white, right?)

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
the OP's is WRB

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
hmm thought he had SWP for some reason...I do like black on WRB though too, though I like Gold/bronze best. My opinion though of course.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
$600 is a terrible price.. factor in $120 for dismount/remount balance then an expensive price for wheels is $60 especially for just doing black.. every powdercoater in the country is always loading black in the hopper it is nothing to them to do a little more..

120+240=$360 at most is what I would pay, I typically charge no more than $50 for wild color wheels. I charge $40 for black.

How bad are your wheels? curb wise?

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
either way, no matter the color....if you get gloss, wax them for easy cleaning.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^^ Yea as he said I'm in a WRB. I was thinking for about the first 45 minutes I got the car that a cool neon color wheel would look sick on the blue, but then after owning it for an hour, I was like, okay, I need something a little more "classy" lol That wax will probably be ordered the minute I can get on my computer at home haha. Now that I'm thinking, a nice gun metal would look nice, damn, so many choices. I have decided one thing though, I NEED A PAIR OF WINTER WHEELS! (swapping rubber on wheels i pay to fix and PC is gunna pisssss me off after 1 season haha)

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
wax them regardless, powdercoat right out of the oven is a grabby surface. Deffinately give them a good coat of wax before re-installing your tires.

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
yes, dedicated winter wheels would be a good thing if you are going to be spending money on powdercoating your stocks.

side note, gunmetal would look sweet too :)

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
parallel appearance question that benefit the OP.....that wheel wax....could it be used to wax the outside of the calipers to make them easy to clean, or would the heat of the brakes do nasty things to the wax coat?

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
If you re-powdercoat the brakes I'd wax them before install

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
Well, I was really meaning waxing any painted or powdered calipers....cause dirty calipers behind shiny wheels is lame IMO....but if it works for re-PCed calipers, it should work for stock coating as well (as long as you clean them well before waxing that is)

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
$600 is a terrible price.. factor in $120 for dismount/remount balance then an expensive price for wheels is $60 especially for just doing black.. every powdercoater in the country is always loading black in the hopper it is nothing to them to do a little more..

120+240=$360 at most is what I would pay, I typically charge no more than $50 for wild color wheels. I charge $40 for black.

How bad are your wheels? curb wise?
you do powdercoating?

Also, mmy wheels aren't horrific, but each wheel has some decent curb rash.

I'm not sure if I should get them powder-coated, or if i should find a pair of strong gold wheels (as strong, if not stronger, because I do sometimes go on gravel or dirt roads)

Well, either way I can't go forward on anything so quick, I just dropped my subi off at the body shop to get a new back door, yes, the one that was smashed in by my 'friend' the 2nd night I had the car is finally being fixed! (I'm also having them fix a nice crack in the bottom of the bumper, the guy claimed they couldn't fix it they could only order new bumper. I said that there was a sort of lip on the bottom of the bumper, and since thats where the crack starts I was thinking maybe they could fill the back lip part with epoxy so its stronger and the crack isn't as visible.)

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
topless rubicon.jpg

Just learned how to insert an image i'm pretty sure, anyway, this was sort of a test, but now that I think I got it, this is what I'm driving while my Subi is in the shop!

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
You won't find wheels that are much "stronger" than anything BBS...

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay then I either need to PC my wheels and spend 200 on a set of those black wheels for winter, or I can get a nice pair of some gold wheels, and use the stockers in winter. (I'm reallly leanin towards gold summer wheels, nothing can beat the classic look of the blue on gold.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts