ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sounds like my syncros are starting to go on my 02 wrx, im really afraid of breaking any gears lol, im at 260whp264wtq on only 14lbs right now and dont really wanna push any more until i do something with my drivetrain.

now my question is, is it worth buying a gear set or just spend the money on the whole 6 speed drivetrain swap, what are your guys' opinions. thanks.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im running sti pinks right now, would like to run 750 with atleast 20 lbs of boost, myabe a little over 300whp not really looking to do internals

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
What are your driving goals? DD? Autocross? Track? And biggest thing...budget?

Cheapest thing would be to find used PPGs 1 through 4 and leave 5th stock...

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
id love to start getting into autocross, ordering some tein ssp's soon enough, not really into launching my car at the strip every weekend. and im not into doing it cheap, budgets not really a matter ive got some money set aside for this

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,225 Posts
A different thought:

It took almost ten years to break this gearset and it's still going. A used gearbox will be cheaper and might give you a few more years, after which the entire car will simply be replaced. That's something to consider if you have a limited budget.

If you do not have a limited budget, buy a 6-speed car not a 6-speed gearbox.

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
If you do not have a limited budget, buy a 6-speed car not a 6-speed gearbox.
I'd agree with this ^

But I ended up going the 6spd route personally. Got the whole ball of wax for a decent enough price. But keep in mind.. this car will eventually be a track queen that sits in my garage collecting dust m-f, and only comes out to play on the weekends.

If you're not wanting to do anything more than autoX... then think about a 2008+ WRX transmission. They're the strongest WRX transmission, while keeping daily drivability.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd agree with this ^

But I ended up going the 6spd route personally. Got the whole ball of wax for a decent enough price. But keep in mind.. this car will eventually be a track queen that sits in my garage collecting dust m-f, and only comes out to play on the weekends.

If you're not wanting to do anything more than autoX... then think about a 2008+ WRX transmission. They're the strongest WRX transmission, while keeping daily drivability.
Thanks ill keep that in mind

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
Also.. something to think about is the legacy hybrid gearset.

A lot of people are doing legacy hybrid gearsets. So, Legacy GT 1, 2, STi RA (3.9fd NOT 4.44!!) 3, 4, and Stock 5
or... Legacy GT 1, 2, Stock 3, 4, 5.

If you have an 02... then more than likely you have the AA Transmission, which means you have the infamous "glass gears". So I'd do the Legacy GT 1, 2, and STi RA (3.9fd) 3, 4, and stock 5th.

If you're wanting to rebuild the transmission.. this will be able to handle 350whp just fine, and be one of the cheapest routes.

mid 03-05 got the 3.9fd STi RA width gears... so if you can buy new gears from those model years for 3, 4 then they'd be probably cheaper than buying STi RA gears for 3, 4.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Take it a step further, a lot of guys over at the Legacy forums actually have cryo-treated the gears from what I read over there. The process hardens them and makes them more durable.

·
Æternum
20,585 Posts
^^ I don't think I'd waste my time doing that personally...
No, shot-peening and cryo-treating is actually legit. Some claim a 30% increase in strength. Consider it similar to forging your gears.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
They seriously swear by it over on the LGT forums...you never hear of swaps much, only the cryo treating (and some shot peening).

hehe...peening.

·
Æternum
20,585 Posts
They seriously swear by it over on the LGT forums...you never hear of swaps much, only the cryo treating (and some shot peening).

hehe...peening.
I have a peen :zing:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts