Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GCS Apex Android Head Unit w/ GPS - 2015+ WRX / 2015+ STI - 2015+ WRX

Saw this while browsing SubiSpeed. Looks interesting. I like how it has the factory look and is Android-powered, but not sure if it would be worth the cost... I was interested in the factory navi system, but heard some pretty bad things about how poorly it works. Right now, I use my Android phone to navigate and it works well enough. Ideally, I'd like a native navi system in my car, but the cost and install seem rather daunting to this novice mechanic.

·
Registered
2015 ISM WRX Premium
201 Posts
I've read about them. Nothing but issues and the fact they are made in China.

Check out the Pioneer AVH-4200NEX. It has Android Auto.

If you're an Android fan, you'll love how Android Auto integrates the Android platform into your driving experience in a non-distracting way. You'll have voice control access to Google Maps, weather, music, your phone, text messages, plus easy access to many of your favorite apps.

Retails for about 5-6 hundred but is fully digital media and can hook right up with the metra kit and wiring harness if you're not running an amp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info, guys. Probably not going to look into changing the head unit any time soon, but it's nice to know what is out there. That video is very good. He goes over a lot about that particular unit. Suppose I'll wait till my warranty is gone before I mess around with new head units.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've read about them. Nothing but issues and the fact they are made in China.

Check out the Pioneer AVH-4200NEX. It has Android Auto.

If you're an Android fan, you'll love how Android Auto integrates the Android platform into your driving experience in a non-distracting way. You'll have voice control access to Google Maps, weather, music, your phone, text messages, plus easy access to many of your favorite apps.

Retails for about 5-6 hundred but is fully digital media and can hook right up with the metra kit and wiring harness if you're not running an amp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've been juggling a head unit decision for awhile now and aesthetically the GCS V2 APEX takes the cake. So much so I'm almost willing to risk it.

Nothing but issues???
I cant find anyone talking positive OR negative about them. Just video installs on YouTube. Any subscribers out there currently using this unit? Feedback appreciated!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had this installed in my 2015 WRX for about 6 months now. Its not bad. I think the sound quality is better than the stock head unit. It takes about a minute to bring up the radio. If you leave it as is it functions quite well. If you do what I did and try to customize it then you start running into some headaches. For instance I upgraded the micro SD card to a 256 GB version so I could have all my music stored locally. Sometimes it reads the card, sometimes it doesn't. Technically it doesn't support a card that big. I really can't find any support on the unit in order to get updates for the software. That is a bit annoying. And for me driving in Montana in the dark even at the lowest setting the screen doesn't dim enough. At least there is an option to turn the screen off. Overall though I'm very happy with the look as it really was built to look like it was meant for the WRX. If I can ever figure out how to upgrade the OS then it may end up being a perfect option.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts