ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gauges are as much for looks as they are for utilitarian purposes it seems, so what are useful gauges?

At least what I have heard, and I’m no frigin expert but the most common are Boost, EGT, and Oil Pressure.

I'm not going to dispute the usefulness of boost gauges, but what about EGT and Oil Pressure?

Your gauge will read full oil pressure as long as you have enough oil to circulate in the system. Usually (haven’t experienced this with my rex and I hope never too) see a drop when your pretty damn low in which case you should have been checking your oil and you’re an idiot anyways...

EGT isn't as bad as oil pressure, it has it uses but really it’s a secondary fail safe. If you have temperature spikes all the sudden doesn’t exactly tell you what the problem is, and you probably notice the CEL if its an engine problem before you’d notice the EGT. (That and you can see if you’re going to burn your turbo up heh)

Someone enlighten me as to why Oil Pressure and EGT are so popular. Personally I would rather have an Oil TEMP and Radiator Temp Gauge, as these are more likely to daily driving failures. If my brother had had a radiator temp gauge he would have noticed the temperature spike caused by his radiator fan getting caught and wouldn't have gotten his engine cracked from the increased temps.

Maybe for track only cars EGT and Oil pressure make more sense because of all the HP your packing from the turbo. But most street performance cars should be more scared of the other more common failures.

My 2 cents enlighten me on my stupidity if this doesn’t make sense because i'm in the process of buying a gauge pod and my friends keep telling me to get EGT and oil pressure gauges and i’m like wtf.

·
Registered
926 Posts
EGT can be used for tuning. When you run your car more lean you get more performance, a consequence of "leaning" your car out is higher EGT's. Higher EGT's=bad. So while doing street tunes or whatever you want to call them with your utec or what not you can lean it out SAFELY and monitor your car to make sure it's EGT's are always in a safe level. Plus, gauges are just teh win!

·
Banned
1,637 Posts
I'll tell you the same thing that a very experienced WRX/EVO rally prep shop told me. On a modded car, the EGT is one of THE most important gauges.

Why? Because when you start playing around with boost, fuel and timing you also risk throwing things off and causing high EGT's. It is very possible with a UTEC to cause EGT's that will begin to melt the aluminum in your engine. Also note, that a large number of people who have replaced their stock up-pipe no longer run the stock EGT in the up pipe so they would not throw a temp cel. Even if they did, temps in the up are not the same as temps at the manifold. Especially if you are running headers or a stainless up-pipe which will disappate heat much faster than the stock pipes.

High EGT's can cause a lot of damage so I feel it's pretty important to keep an eye on them.

As for oil pressure, I personally went for oil temp. This allowed me to keep a good eye on the actual temp of my engine as the stock coolant temp gauge just gives a dummy reading.

my 2 cents worth...

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I have fuel pressure...I think thats important to make sure your getting the proper amount...

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I have boost, oil and fuel pressure.

I belive those are important because when you are running a modded car, you don't want it to brake down, and monitoring those guages will give you hopefully a early warning when something are wrong.

On the wishlist I have oil temp and water temp. The reason I have not got a egt yet is because I want 4 sensors (1 in each pipe) connected to 1 display. And I have not found this yet :(

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
i have boost, oil temp, oil pres, and EGT. EGT lets me know when it's time to add a little fuel or up the timing when my turbo starts spooling, also when to back off the throttle from time to time. oil pressure i honestly don't find THAT useful, as it's pretty much always 30lbs give or take once the car is warmed up. oil temp is nice because it tells me when the car is warmed up, and when it's time to stop hitting the 1/4, like 2 weeks ago, i was hitting 225*. time to park her and pop the hood for a bit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There are a few misconceptions on an EGT gauge w/out a wideband meter to monitor both.

I think in a situation like like that, EGT gauges are pretty much useless.

high EGT's can mean:

too rich / not enough timing
too lean / too much timing

Low EGT's can mean:

too rich
too lean
too much timing

These situations can be really confusing w/out a wideband O2.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the feedback guys, useful in my decision. I already have the OEM boost gauge mounted o nthe steering column so in my pod i think im gonna stick EGT, Oil Temp, and Radiator temp or fuel pressure (not quiet sure on this one might skip both and stick a clock/ambient temp gauge)

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
SlickRick51586 said:
thanks for the feedback guys, useful in my decision. I already have the OEM boost gauge mounted o nthe steering column so in my pod i think im gonna stick EGT, Oil Temp, and Radiator temp or fuel pressure (not quiet sure on this one might skip both and stick a clock/ambient temp gauge)
a clock would definetely not be a bad idea. i wish i still had one in my car, so many times i've showed up late or way too early becasue of the lack of clockage.:rolleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts