ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
27,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to all the Up leaks happening I am not really to interested in using the stock gaskets again for my second UP install. I am going to be installing the new Up soon, but my buddy who is installing it said I need 4 gaskets. one for connecting the DP to turbo, another for connecting the turbo to UP, another for connecting UP to exhaust manifold (or whatever that short pipe is, and the 4th for where the exhaust manifold hoods up by the header.

my question is do I really need all these, and where can I get them. I was gonna go to the dealer since I am bringing my car in for work, but I dont want to get rapped on gasket prices. Should I just get them from the dealer or is there a better source??

DTR

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
27,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
other alternatives:

a.) leaks w/ used ones + $$/time to replace
b.) leaks with crappy gaskets + $$/time to replace

seems like alot but its a pretty important thing you dont want to cheap out on ya know.

·
Registered
27,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gusto said:
other alternatives:

a.) leaks w/ used ones + $$/time to replace
b.) leaks with crappy gaskets + $$/time to replace

seems like alot but its a pretty important thing you dont want to cheap out on ya know.
obviouly with those choices I would prefer to spend the $60. I was just wonding if the dealer will be cheaper or if any other place has good gaskets for cheaper. I am using a gutted UP right now that is having problems. I might just put my stock UP back on and sell my TXS one and save the $60 on gaskets in order to buy new tires.....but I really dont want to lose my spool-up

I hate modding :mad:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
27,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
DTR rex said:
yeah but the full gasket set of crucial racing is still $64!

is that all 5 gaskets? it says there is a full set, and an Uppipe set. what does the UP set include?
It's a full set but it is made of metal rather than pressed material. It will last forever.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I reused my gaskets when i put my uppipe in... and then i reused them again when i put my downpipe in. Zero leaks. Just make sure you torque everything down and don't be a puswah with the wrench. If you don't damage the gaskets in removal they will work again (again under the assumption you don't have elevnty billion miles on the car, I did mine at 22k).

·
Registered
593 Posts
I believe most of the leaks is causing by inproper installation, not causing by the gasket(if gaskets are no damage)!!

Especially on the up-pipe, there is a procedure on tighing up the bolts.

If I was you, I would keep using all the stock gasket and reinstall the txs up-pipe again. Or buy a up-pipe with flex, because an up-pipe with flex would aviod many chances by getting leaking!!!!

·
Registered
27,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
my car has 28k miles, and torque put on the wrench wont be a problem because we are installing it at my friends shop. He huge breaker bars and all "air" impact tools. So you guys think that if we install it correctly and are careful with the gaskets and apply enough torque I should be fine??
I would really like to save that $60 since I am getting wheel/tire combo soon and every penny helps.

thanks

·
Premium Member
26,609 Posts
The only two gaskets you will need are the two uppipe gaskets. You can buy just the two of them from Subydude for $30. When I gutted my uppipe I reused the gaskets. I have had the downpipe off multiple times and reused the gaskets. When I did my turbo, I finally ponied up and bought the two gaskets from Subydude just to feel better about it. So far I have ZERO leaks ever. If you be careful and torque everything correctly, and the gaskets are in good shape(new or used), you should never have a leak.

·
Registered
49 Posts
You asked about 3 times about getting the package from the dealer. Well, don't. The uppipe to turbo gasket alone is $24.00 at the dealer. Trust me, I just had to have the install done before my trip to Chicago and paid wayyyy too much.

·
Registered
675 Posts
the crucial gaskets are worth it. Here's an answer to part of ur question. Its a hell of a lot easier to do an UP isntall when you have removed the entire header/exhaust manifold. It gives you more room to work with and makes a whole lot easier. If you want to tackle the UP isntall without taking it off, then u wont be needed the exhaust manifold gaskets, however using the old OEM ones could a total PITA when you find out that they leak. I use the crucial gasket set. I'd rather pay 64 bucks for gaskets then waste another 5 hours redoing the whole UP and DP install. Just my .02cts.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts