ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2003 wrx today, I've already fallen in love with it. I should have asked the guy more questions, and or have not bought it. Its got and aftermarket blow off valve cobb turbo back, and running on 16psi. It has absolutely terrible gas mileage. I was wondering if it was a normal thing but at this rate I can't afford fuel. It has a cobb access port and I have many questions. Is there a map tune I can upload to the car to bring it back to stock or because it has the turbo back do I have to leave the tune. If anyone can direct me to a good map tune to upload to the car to save gas mileage but not ruin the power it has. Idc if I have to run less boost. This is my first Subaru, I know a lot about them mechanically, but I am a little lost when it comes to the tuning aspect.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
28,669 Posts
Your car does not require a modified map to run a turbo back exhaust. However a map will likely yield higher torque and output -- potentially by leaning out the mixture at specific rpm/load ranges. I suppose you'd be "safe" without a map at all provided you keep the correct intake (authentic Subaru factory unit). If you modify both the intake and the exhaust, you've wasted the money on the intake and you've necessitated a map. In fact if you mod merely the intake then I'd certainly remap the car.

Even with the stock intake though, your car has an intake leak -- the blow off valve -- so I'd fit the correct authentic Subaru valve instead and see what happens.

Meanwhile see what map is actually on the car using the device that you do have, and make sure it's correct for your mods.

I'd be a fan of stock intake, stock BPV in combo with the exhaust of your choice (it won't matter). Since you have a device anyway, you may as well load the correct map for your mods (see map stages on their website and opt for the 91 octane maps if that's the fuel available in your area).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts