ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Check this post at WRXFanatics! Full throttle is producing the full range, not kit's - you just bolt them on!

Mike Licht of Full Throttle wrote:
Here is a picture of the WRX turbine housings. Turbos should be ready in the next couple weeks. Pricing will be posted soon. GT30-10, -11, -12, -13, -14 will be available 350 to well over 550 HP
So I guess the wait is over. Check his site: www.fullthrottlespeed.com

X

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
It's about time someone got with the program. I know where I'll be getting my new turbo from when it's time to upgrade.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
im not hip to the whole thing so can someone explain a little more briefly about why this is so good?

i saw on the site they are direct replacenemts not needing new UP/DPs etc.

can someone elaborate as they dont seem to be ready to release more info??? thanks!

·
Registered
839 Posts
Garrett turbos

The garrett turbos are the cadillac of the performance turbos. Very well designed, durable and give very good power due to the superior flow of their designs.

This is a very good thing! Using these hots sides will likely wake up several of the hybid turbos out there as well.

The IHI turbos have awful exhaust back pressure and that seriously impairs the performance of any compressor you put on an IHI hot side.

Finally we will have a quality direct bolt on design, that does not come from the other side of the planet.

Larry

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
FANTASTIC!

Now I understand these are direct bolt ons. Are they built specifically for WRX's?

If not what is the biggest turbo our stock engines can handle?

·
Registered
630 Posts
Check out Sports Compact car online and do a search on "Disco Potato". It's a garrett turbo that put out around 280-300WHP on an SR20. 5psi by 2200, full boost by 3000 with a torque curve many an auto-x'er would kill for. Superior flow charactaristics gave it ultra quick spool. Not the most top end (kinda like a VF35) but a superior turbo for any application but dragging.

That's just one example of how garretts are the shizzle dizzle.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hmmmm

Still the question is asked has anyone really tested the durability of stock heads and stock pistons, crank, cams (so on and so forth) of the stock WRX (not sti) How big of a turbo should you go with when all you have is bigger injectors, fuel pump, fmu, bov, and gutted exhuast??? (oh yeah I have a cold air intake to but that does not matter right now)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Re: Hmmmm

Flatland said:
Still the question is asked has anyone really tested the durability of stock heads and stock pistons, crank, cams (so on and so forth) of the stock WRX (not sti) How big of a turbo should you go with when all you have is bigger injectors, fuel pump, fmu, bov, and gutted exhuast??? (oh yeah I have a cold air intake to but that does not matter right now)
Thousands of guys run big turbos on the WRX reliably. You question gets a bit detailed, but 300 WHP is little problem for the mill and some guys go higher. It think anything above 300 WHP is pushing the EJ20 a bit because of it's open deck and weak rods.

Your question about the CAI is answered easily. The WRX usually doesn't like a CAI, doesn't benefit from it, and usually suffers from it. I'd be careful with that.

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
so does Garret only make a hot side?? you still have to get a compressor somewhere else and bolt them together?

if true that's "what combination of Garret/compressor should I get" will replace "what BOV should I get" and "what CAI should I get" as the most frequently asked quesiton on this board.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Garrett makes some of the most advanced turbos you can buy. Except for AVO, nobody made a Garrett that just bolted on to the Subaru. There are threads here where the develpoment of bolt-on Garrett turbos has been mentioned and everyone went nuts. For some reason, this thread has drawn little attention, except for the people who really know what they're talking about (read hotrod).

The reason you see only the hot side castings in the pic is because the compressor castings are being finished now.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Isn't putting a Garrett exhaust wheel in a "bolt on" aka "IHI style" exhaust housing going to yield similar exhaust restrictions to that of an IHI turbo? Oh well, atleast the compressor will still be better.

-Jim

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
PPMotorsports said:
Isn't putting a Garrett exhaust wheel in a "bolt on" aka "IHI style" exhaust housing going to yield similar exhaust restrictions to that of an IHI turbo?
Crucial Racing said:
The reason you see only the hot side castings in the pic is because the compressor castings are being finished now.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm trying to look for a Garrett Bolt-on Turbo that do not have a fitment issue with an APS TMIC. Of course, I would like one that at least compares or preferrably exceed the performance of a PE-1820 :D

1 - 20 of 52 Posts