ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. So I recently got tired of having my garage door opener in the front cubby hole so I decided to do something about it. I cant take all the credit as I did see a similar set up for switches over on nasioc.

Here goes. Where I kept my garage opener.

I took it apart and found the button. Then used a piece of wire to figure out which two connections opened the door.

I soldered two wires onto the switch.

Taped up the whole opener because I didn't plan on reusing the case so I didn't want any connections shorting.

Then I took the center console off. Two screws in the compartment and one under the ebrake boot.

Once I had the shifter trim piece off, I started to make a mounting bracket template with cardboard.

Did a test fit

And then converted to a piece of thin sheet metal.

Made the necessary bends.

I then drilled holes for the screw and the momentary switch and did a test fit.

Soldered the wires from the garage door opener too the switch.

Then I double side taped the garage door opener to the front off the shifter.

Here's a video demonstration.
2012 WRX garage door opener modification - YouTube

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I made some changes today and this thing is awesome! Its much easier to get to now and I have the ability to add up too 2 more switches in the future. This is definitely very clean.

Heres some pics of the new mounting bracket.

Here is with everything back together. I pushed the boot around the button so it would be noticeable for the picture.

Heres another video demo
2011 subaru wrx garage door opener modification - YouTube

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
For a long time I had my garage opener wired up to my high beams. So when I pulled into the driveway I could just flash my lights and the door would open. Then we got a new opener and I never redid it all

·
Cheeky Bastage!
2,730 Posts
For a long time I had my garage opener wired up to my high beams. So when I pulled into the driveway I could just flash my lights and the door would open. Then we got a new opener and I never redid it all
Thats actually kinda cool, i imagine your neighbors thought you must be some secret agent with lots of high tech gadgetry haha

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
lol probably. I think I may do that again. Isn't really difficult. Essentially its exactly what the OP did just instead of hooking the leads up to a button i ran them to my high beam + and -

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm a bit new to the forums as I just bought a 2004 wrx wagon. I was wondering if anybody has or has been thinking about using one of the blank button slots to use as a garage door opener.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
this is a cool mod, garrett wiring it to the high beams would be pretty sweet

1 - 13 of 13 Posts