Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 3rd WRX that I know of here in the Seattle area is getting their Blitz FMIC installed right now by my buddies at GSPL. However, I also know that all three of them are running stock turbos. What kind of gains can they (or any other WRX for that matter) expect out of a FMIC with the stock turbo? Is it worth the $1200-1500 for one with the stock turbo, or would we be better off with less expensive upgrades?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'd say at least 20hp with the stock turbo, but the stock top mount looks efficient enough to run the stock turbo well.

IMO, I think the front mount is worth buying only if you are planning on running a upgraded turbo.

Just upgrade the IC pipes on the stock top mount and you should gain from that.

Does anyone know how much the stock top mount flows(cfm)??

·
Registered
17 Posts
WizardBlackWRX said:
The TMIC heat soaks too badly. You could probably run up to 18~19 psi with a front mount (if the fuel system can handle it).
Is 16psi safe on pump gas( 91oct) with stock fuel system?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I wouldn't do the FMIC unless I was going bigger turbo which means upgraded fuel system and some kind of chip or ECU reflash to take advantage of it. If you are going to go that far, might as well go all the way and be as safe as possible. I'm sure you'd see some gains even with the stock turbo but even more if you had a unichip or a stand-alone system tuned for the FMIC.

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
The TMIC heat soaks too badly. You could probably run up to 18~19 psi with a front mount (if the fuel system can handle it).
i would argue that the trade off from the heatsoak to the greatly reduced piping from the FM would leave the stock turbo setup much more desireable. even with the heat soak, the top mount get's great exposure, and has very little lag. imagine our tiny turbos trying to pressurize all that piping, and holding boost accurately. not a chance. even with most upgraded turbos, the TM remains the better choice for lower lag and cooler charge.

IMO, I think the front mount is worth buying only if you are planning on running a upgraded turbo.
i agree 100%

some upgraded intercooler hoses (samco) will be much more effective, and far less expensive. 20hp is a bit aggressive in my mind for gains, but even so, the trade off for 20 horses does not negate the huge lag gain, and decrease in boost response/accuracy. ( i bet boost spiking would also be crazy. ) the bottle neck for boost on our cars isn't the IC, it's the turbo.

dR

·
Registered
218 Posts
god what do you have to say about this topic. your running a pe1818 or pe1820 did you find a big difference in lag when you went from stock top mount to the blitz front mount with the PE turbo? im very interested in this topic as to whether lag is greatly increased or not with an aftermarket turbo like the pe and vf series turbos with the stock IC and then going to a FMIC. or even with stock turbo. anybody else running the blitz or any front mount?

·
1,911 Posts
No difference at all with lag but it's a bad investment in power if you have the stock turbo. You can get an upgraded turbo for jsut a tad more than the Blitz IC upgrade and have a LOT better power gain plus potential for more with injectors/pump. With upgraded turbo, however, yes it is a HUGE gain in power. 20-30 HP easily plus no heat soak issues. Now I see the issue of lag popping up but guess what? No difference in lag. The better flowing core MORE than makes up for the longer piping so if you have the turbo upgraded, definately go for it. If not, spend that money on the turbo upgrade first. Those guys that are installing on a stock turbo either just want the looks of a front mount or they plan to upgrade the turbo and just did things backwards.

·
Registered
40 Posts
One thing I don't like about the Blitz FMIC: Don't you lose your fogs?

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
what do you have on your car so far? I say invest in a Vishnu Performance Stage 0 kit and hten go from there. They're comming out with a Stage 1 soon and that's going to kick some ass. In about 2 weeks I will finally finish installing everything on my stage 0 kit and my M2 turboback should be here, and I'm thinking I should be getting about 285 hp. The vishnu kit is also nice because the ECU is tuned to work with a stock intake, so you don't have to spend the extra $200-300 getting a cold air intake or whatever. Maybe after you get the stage 0 you can go for the turbo upgrade and the FMIC and I'm sure Shiv will be more than happy to tune your unichip to work with whatever upgrade you have later on.

·
2,210 Posts
Tim,
Just curious on why you decided to opt for the Vishnu stage 0, when the TurboXS stage 2 (minus muffler) is not all that much more expensive. The stage 2 plus an uppipe will net you in excess of 300HP.

I'm guessing you prefer Shiv's more conservative tuning methodology?

-Pace

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
Well, before I talked to Shiv I already know that he's known for great customer service. I talked to him a couple of times and talked to people who had the stage 0 kit and everyone was more than happy with it. Right now all I have on my car is the pulley, spark plugs, and the up pipe and I already feel the difference in my car. The nice thing about Shiv's kit is that your car can look completely stock and yet get about 275hp, that's a huge gain for $1000. The only thing is that the uppipe install was a pain in the butt but it's a fun and educational experience (thanks for the help Roberto!). Another thing is that with any catback you will probably gain another 7-8hp without having to tune the unichip from Shiv, AND you get to choose what kind of exhaust you want to get. Whether its a turboback or a catback. I think the TurboXS kit is pretty nice if you like the muffler that it comes with, and their ECU is a plug and play unit. Give Shiv a call and he will answer any other kind of technical questions that you might have.

·
2,210 Posts
Very cool. Yep, I opted out of the TurboXS muffler as I wanted to look and sound stock. After riding in Tronner's stage-2 sedan at the weekend, I'm now desperately craving a unichip. The spec of our cars is identical except that I have an MBC. The difference is night and day.

A few years back I had the opportunity of a test drive in a C5. The experience has remained vivid in my memory, and I'd have to say that this WRX felt just as quick..!

-Pace

·
1,911 Posts
S-K said:
One thing I don't like about the Blitz FMIC: Don't you lose your fogs?
Yes but they are worthless anyway. I kind of like the way my car looks without them. I got some fog light covers from a 2002 2.5RS (or whatever they call them now). I need to take it to the body shop whenever I get some time to repaint the bumper, smooth things out and paint my fog light covers (they are blue at the moment).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Eh...I like my fog lights. Plus, FMICs are a little too "in-your-face" for me. I think I'll stick w/a TMIC :p

·
Registered
110 Posts
I like the top mount, however front mounts look cool as heck.

But instead of upgrading the intercooler, I opted to try the water spray route. That is said to greatly increase effeciency of the stock I/C.

V34 on the way along with all the goodies :)

But no, I don't see the benefit of 'prematurely' upgrading to a Blitz. Certainly not a good bang for the buck until there's a big blower under the hood.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts