Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen this or have and tried this?

G-TECH PRO COMPETITION

-Uses 4 Accelerometers For Complete Pitch and Yaw
-Graphic Displays Shows RPM, Horsepower and Torque
-Great For Analyzing Shift Points and Engine Driver Performance
-Contains A Full Blown Data Acquisition System
-Stores Sessions And Download To a PC
-G's, Torque and Horsepower
-RPM
-Intelligent Shift Light
-Traction and Cornering Light
-No Installation - Accelerometer Built In
-Optional software package allows for serious post race analysis, -including comparing different runs, and replaying any stored race realtime. By comparing vehicle performance at low and high speeds, it even estimates the aerodynamic drag on your vehicle.

$250

·
Registered
383 Posts
It's not out yet:
http://www.gtechpro.com/competition.html

Some mail order companies (Ecklers for instance) are advertising, and possibly even taking orders....but you won't receive it for many months.

VV

Nexus6 said:
Has anyone seen this or have and tried this?

G-TECH PRO COMPETITION

-Uses 4 Accelerometers For Complete Pitch and Yaw
-Graphic Displays Shows RPM, Horsepower and Torque
-Great For Analyzing Shift Points and Engine Driver Performance
-Contains A Full Blown Data Acquisition System
-Stores Sessions And Download To a PC
-G's, Torque and Horsepower
-RPM
-Intelligent Shift Light
-Traction and Cornering Light
-No Installation - Accelerometer Built In
-Optional software package allows for serious post race analysis, -including comparing different runs, and replaying any stored race realtime. By comparing vehicle performance at low and high speeds, it even estimates the aerodynamic drag on your vehicle.

$250

·
Registered
306 Posts
Any more updated info?
A guy on I-Club said he used the G-Tech Pro Competition for his measurements. I PMed him and we'll see how he found one.
I called GTech and they told me it will be out for any customer in a month or so. But few retail places for special apps only had or has it. Just couldn't find anyone yet. It looks like a great piece of hardware.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Yes it does. I sold my original g-tech pro (what I would imaginethe guy on i-club has) to Verdugo on here. I really liked it, but was going to get one of the race-tech meters that would store runs. Right before I ordered the race-tech piece, I saw the new g-tech and decided to wait. A month isn't too bad, if only the new V1 would come out soon as well...

VV

ticrab said:
Any more updated info?
A guy on I-Club said he used the G-Tech Pro Competition for his measurements. I PMed him and we'll see how he found one.
I called GTech and they told me it will be out for any customer in a month or so. But few retail places for special apps only had or has it. Just couldn't find anyone yet. It looks like a great piece of hardware.

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
Yep, I've got it! Haven't used it in awhile, but it worked great :)

·
Registered
306 Posts
The guy on I-Club, gypsymoth got the real thing. Apparently it also says that he will be entitled to get the free software upgrade or however GTech Pro upgrade their equipment.
http://forums.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=2298433#post2298433

All right, Ticrab just couldn't wait... ever, for anything. So I will get it by Friday. The GTech Pro Competition.
$250.
I will let you guys know how I like it.

And I got it from http://www.bavauto.com and they told me they had 23 of them in stock.

gypsymoth on I-Club is a very nice guy and answered all my questions so far. He also gave me a link to a Yahoo Forum just for the GTech Pro products.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gtechpro

·
Registered
383 Posts
WOW, thanks for the update!

It uses 4 accellerometers and gps I believe...no wiring at all. Calculates everything.

VV

ticrab said:
The guy on I-Club, gypsymoth got the real thing. Apparently it also says that he will be entitled to get the free software upgrade or however GTech Pro upgrade their equipment.
http://forums.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=2298433#post2298433

All right, Ticrab just couldn't wait... ever, for anything. So I will get it by Friday. The GTech Pro Competition.
$250.
I will let you guys know how I like it.

And I got it from http://www.bavauto.com and they told me they had 23 of them in stock.

gypsymoth on I-Club is a very nice guy and answered all my questions so far. He also gave me a link to a Yahoo Forum just for the GTech Pro products.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gtechpro

·
Registered
306 Posts
This was posted by 2 individuals who go by Wicked96ss and chiehcheng(AKA gypsymoth on I-Club) May 17th, 2002 at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gtechpro

If you guys have more questions, I suggest you give a call to GTech at 1-800-GTECHPRO.

My Dad's friend use to work in a Funny car and top fuel team and he is very knowledgeable. He confirmed that GTech products are very accurate for the money and they have been around for a while. In my case, the other alternative would be a day or 2 at the drag strip which is not anywhere close to me and a couple of days at Dynapack which I plan to do soon and I will keep you guys posted on that one as well. Dynapack is located in Fresno but they told me they don't have a AWD dyno there yet. They plan too though and told me they can work something out for me to try it out.

> What connections are there to the car? Is it simply the cigarette
> lighter?

Yup, just a cigarette lighter. It uses the electrical noise from the
cigarette lighter socket to calculate the RPM. I was quite skeptical
at first. But after calibration, I put the car in neutral, rev the
engine through out the power band, match the tachometer in the car to
the tachometer to the meter. I was quite surprised to see that they
matched up pretty well.

> I can see that if you get the HP and the Torque seperately, then
> finding the RPM is trivial... but how does it get the torque? I
> guess it can get the torque at the rear wheels, but that would be
> difficult, and that woudn't be the torque at the engine.

The device calculates HP and Torque from the RPM, acceleration, time,
and weight of the vehicle. Everything it senses and calculates are at
the wheel.

> Anyhow, what parameters do you have to set up?

There are two calibrations set-ups. One is to calibrate the four
accelerometers. And it must be calibrated twice at two different
temperatures. The accelerometer calibration is a bit of a pain. But
the good thing is that the LCD will walk you through the entire
exercise. And it will prompt you as soon as the second calibration is
needed.

The second calibration is the engine noise to RPM calibration. All
you have to do is to put the car into neutral, start the calibration.
The meter will prompt you to rev the engine to 2000 RPM and push OK.
Once that is done, it will prompt you to rev the engine to 4000 RPM
and push OK. That's it. This calibration is easy and fast.

There is a parameter for the weight of your car. And there is a
parameter for the redline RPM for your vehicle.

> Did you get it through summit?

Yup . . . I got it from Summit Racing. :cool:

·
Registered
306 Posts
Also, it looks like it's a "pre-release" version of the product but Tesla(GTech) confirmed that the customers would be entitled to free upgrades. Gypsymoth was talking about free "Deluxe version" when it's out and the unit would cost $300 instead of $250. Now, I read it, ok? Nothing coming out of my mouth is official. So don't you guys buy it and then find out that some of it was true, not all of it. ;)

I also read another post saying that the flash upgrades(or whatever the exact term is or will be) are available online. I couldn't find more info on that one, either couldn't find a link.

·
Registered
87 Posts
check this out
www.maxqdata.com

possibly the coolest gadget I have ever seen for a car. makes gtech look like a toy. Of course for the $$, it should. $750 + pocketPC + GPS = $$$$$$$$$

I wish the Gtech comp would come out already. Didnt they announce it almost a year ago?

·
Registered
383 Posts
I wish they would include some of the key features they are leaving out. The time between two speeds feature (of competitive products like the VP22 and Vericom) is much more useful in determining modification results. There is so much variance in 1/4 mile times due to launching differently that it makes it hard to tell if you just drove better or the mod helped. A 20-60mph 2nd gear pull, however, is much easier to replicate. Maybe a future revision will have this...

VV

·
Registered
383 Posts
www.race-technology.com for the VP-22, vericom.com most likely for the vericom. There are a host of others, one called Tazz I think. The VP-22 was on my purchase list until I saw the g-tech competition. However, if they don't upgrade the software to do other things the VP-22 can do, I'll probably go back. The VP-22 doesn't have the flash or coolness factor fo the new gtech, but it's a powerhouse. Who did you get your's through carlo? Only a couple companies import it from the UK.

VV

Carlo said:
I've got the VP-22 meter and love it. I think for most people's uses it is/will be better then the G-Tech Pro.

Carlo

·
Registered
473 Posts
PlatinumWRX said:
Does it hook to the ECU for RPM or guess based on acceleration, speed, and gear ratios?
I think it works like this:

It figures vehicle speed by integrating the accelerometer signals. This is how inertial navigation systems have been working on aircraft and missiles for about 50 years.

Accelerometers can also measure vibration from the engine. So they probably process that signal to estimate RPM. They might have a seperate accelerometer for this purpose because the required bandwidth would be more than you would need (or want) to do cornering g's and vehicle speed, etc.

Then they've got RPM and vehicle speed, and you probably input how many gears the car has, and then it's easy to figure out which gear is being used.

I'm definitely going to get one of these. The only thing that bothers me is the mounting which doesn't look very robust.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I got it!

Now I need to find a place to try it. I already did the calibration and all and it's very easy to setup. Option of using the high vaccum suction cup to mount it on the windshield or use the little mounting stick to screw it on the dashboard... yeah, I don't know about that one.

The manual is a little bit cheap looking but does its job. And there is a letter to remind me that it's not the final product. Mine comes with the deluxe package which is the power adapter and download cable. Software package will be released later and I will be entitled to get it for free. Total deluxe package estimated at $50. It also mentions that I will get free software upgrades for 3 years. An email address is available to contact them and they said that they are and/or will provide updates via Web or email or you can send it back to them to get it updated. I will contact them soon and let you guys know how quick they respond.

It has a link in the manual to download Tera Term Pro which is a telnet/terminal free program. Apparently Tesla will release their own analysis software later. I like the fact that other stuff will work with it as well. I followed the isntructions, and downloaded some data in less than 5 minutes. Then you can export the data as a CSV file and view it Excel. You can make it look fancy by using the graph function in Excel but this is where it could get tricky for some people who don't know how to use Excel or what to do with the XYZ data to publish a nice fancy graph.

Tesla asks the customers to register and add comments and criticisms so they can modify the software and make everybody happy. I know some guys already sent their list and I will too probably with the same comments. I need some very necessary features like a spinning Type-R as a splash screen everytime I turn on my car for instance. :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts