Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I currently drive a 2009 impreza 2.5i. I will be upgrading to a 2019 wrx cvt in the next few months (please dont grill me for automatic transmission). Its going to be my daily so I'm not looking to mod for power (I know cvt cant handle power mods). Maybe just some cosmetic stuff.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Welcome Roguezilla . . . trust me . . . folks here are for the most part not judgmental . . . in fact, as a whole, they're pretty chill and the whole site has a much more laid back vibe compared to some WRX sites. To me, it just feels more grown up . . . so folks shouldn't give you a hard time whether you drive a CVT or stick.

·
Æternum
15,475 Posts
The CVT implementation on the WRX is technically superior to the 6MT. If you aren't interested in the engaging experience of a manual, I'd argue that it's the correct solution.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Congrats! Just when I thought I was getting bored with mine, I drove it in the snow and then on some twisties and I was quickly reminded why I love this car.

·
Æternum
15,475 Posts
is that really true? you have a source? i know 6gear is only good past 80mph so i seldom use it in daily driving.
A source for what? It's common knowledge that the Active Torque Split AWD system with 45:55 F:R torque distribution can react quicker and more effectively than the ancient viscous LSD in the 6MT variant.

This has been the case since the WRX was released in 2002.

Not to mention that the CVT system (with infinite ratios) is technically superior in terms of economy and performance. The road tests may not show this since a CVT still has to contend with a lossy torque converter, but TECHNICALLY it's a better solution.

·
Registered
102 Posts
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/subaru/wrx/2015/2015-subaru-wrx-cvt-first-test/

The acceleration run from 0-60 mph takes 5.8 seconds, which is 0.3 second slower than the manual-equipped 2015 WRX. Though still under 6 seconds, the CVT-equipped WRX's 0-60 mph run is among the slowest we've ever recorded in a WRX, matching the original 227-hp 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon's run to 60 mph. At the strip, the 2015 Subaru WRX CVT ran a 14.5-second quarter mile at 96.7 mph - a half-second slower than the manual model. The last previous-generation WRX sedan we tested was a second faster in the quarter mile.
On the figure eight, our CVT-equipped tester split the difference between the 2015 WRX manual and the 2014 model, doing the deed in 25.5 seconds at 0.73 g average - 0.2 seconds slower than the manual model, and 0.1 seconds faster than the last-gen WRX. The 2015 WRX CVT pulled a 0.93 g average on the skidpad and needed 107 feet to decelerate from 60-0 mph.
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a15111292/2015-subaru-wrx-sedan-manual-test-review/
To help keep the WRX stable in limit-cornering situations, the Active Torque Vectoring (ATV) system uses the front brakes to momentarily clamp one wheel, which helps steer the car through a corner. On the skidpad, our WRX test car clung fast at 0.95 g.
what car do you drive zaxxxxx

·
I Drink & I Know Things
1,906 Posts
Being a CVT driver, I can confirm the TQ issue. Off the line, even after power mods, it really needs a better TQ converter or a proper 1st gear at least. I believe Toyota has a CVT w/ a true first gear coming out or already is out. FWIW, there are upgrade options from F1 Motorsports.
Also, that 5.8 seconds the car magazines seem to get, LAUNCHED. Which I will NOT do w/ a CVT. In the real world...stock is slower yet.

·
Æternum
15,475 Posts
Was this an attempt at an "in your face HA!" comment? If so, it was very poorly executed.

You even failed to recognize that Active Torque Vectoring (which is a stopgap faux torque vectoring solution) is not even remotely related to Active Torque Split system. Allow yourself to be educated with Subaru's own explanation:

FYR, the system implemented in the WRX uses a 45:55 front-to-rear torque split unlike the front-biased variant used in other models. It can both react faster (at times even preemptively) and transfer more torque front-to-rear than the inferior viscous coupling in the 6MT variant.

And very silly question if you've been around here for any length of time. I drive an STI which uses a completely different system to all mentioned above.

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,611 Posts
... i know 6gear is only good past 80mph so i seldom use it in daily driving.
6th gear in my car is good from about 42mph on up. I use it all the time. I can even pass other cars in 6th gear. And to top it all off, I have a lifetime ODO fuel mileage of 32.1mpg.

what car do you drive subiedinner?

·
Registered
102 Posts
im surprised you would readily believe marketing material as it's just meant to sell you a car and not real world experience from trusted car reviews and people who actually drive the car like i would assume you did since you have such strong opinions about it.

i drive a 2017 wrx 6spd manual, i upgraded the suspension with endlinks, lower rear control arms /adjustable rear toe arms, and performance oriented alingment and it drives so awesome now.

·
Registered
102 Posts
6th gear in my car is good from about 42mph on up. I use it all the time. I can even pass other cars in 6th gear. And to top it all off, I have a lifetime ODO fuel mileage of 32.1mpg.

what car do you drive subiedinner?
wow man, i wouldnt drive like that, you're putting your engine at mechanical disadvantage, what rpm are you in sub 2k?

·
Æternum
15,475 Posts
Question: what on earth is your argument here?

I'm now confused and I don't think it's just me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
361 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the family

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,897 Posts
im surprised you would readily believe marketing material as it's just meant to sell you a car and not real world experience from trusted car reviews and people who actually drive the car like i would assume you did since you have such strong opinions about it.

i drive a 2017 wrx 6spd manual, i upgraded the suspension with endlinks, lower rear control arms /adjustable rear toe arms, and performance oriented alingment and it drives so awesome now.
I think you are mistaking pointless numbers for technical superiority. You'll never come anywhere close to the numbers of those media ringer cars daily driving so it's pointless to use it as leverage. I don't really know anyone who takes car and driver or road and track that seriously when considering a purchase. Maybe I'm wrong.

Coupled with the awd statements of zax your manual transmission changes gear ratios far slower than what a cvt is capable of. The cvt can change ratios incrementally without typical gears, this is a massive benefit, instead of needing to balance the efficiency of acceleration and power you get both

It also only has a clutch as opposed to a torque converter that has the advantage of multiplying torque across itself, the cvt can hold the engine rpm at it's peak of power/torque/efficiency seamlessly without any shifting. This coupled with the right torque converter would slay at the strip. I don't know if you actually spend time at a drag strip but autos are still super popular for the simple fact they have a torque converter and can help out of the box.

Subarus implementation of their cvt could have been better, however they still have to sell manual trans equipped vehicles so perhaps that is part of it.

wow man, i wouldnt drive like that, you're putting your engine at mechanical disadvantage, what rpm are you in sub 2k?
I can imagine how you drive. Stop light needle bouncing off the rev limiter. GREENLIGHT! You dump the clutch and rip off the line almost as fast as a Camry or Accord. You wind first out, wind it out, wind it out, there's the sound and the jerk of the rev limiter, you yank it into second gear making sure not to granny shift and double clutch like you should. You hit second gear with only a tad of grinding as the person next to you in the minivan crashes because they can't see from all the sweet pepperoni flavored vape smoke. You think about hitting 3rd but don't want to bog down the engine, you'll only will be going 45mph.

His driving habits are fine. If you are not using 6th gear till 80 yours are the ones that need to be checked on. As long as you are not standing on it in 6th you are fine.

·
Æternum
15,475 Posts
I think you are mistaking pointless numbers for technical superiority. You'll never come anywhere close to the numbers of those media ringer cars daily driving so it's pointless to use it as leverage. I don't really know anyone who takes car and driver or road and track that seriously when considering a purchase. Maybe I'm wrong.

Coupled with the awd statements of zax your manual transmission changes gear ratios far slower than what a cvt is capable of. The cvt can change ratios incrementally without typical gears, this is a massive benefit, instead of needing to balance the efficiency of acceleration and power you get both

It also only has a clutch as opposed to a torque converter that has the advantage of multiplying torque across itself, the cvt can hold the engine rpm at it's peak of power/torque/efficiency seamlessly without any shifting. This coupled with the right torque converter would slay at the strip. I don't know if you actually spend time at a drag strip but autos are still super popular for the simple fact they have a torque converter and can help out of the box
As I understand it, Subaru's implementation of the CVT is questionable at best. Certain members on this forum and NASIOC have reported that the CVT "steps" through virtual gear ratios when in S# mode. My honest guess is that Subaru prioritized the sporty "feel" over sporty performance.

CVT transmissions are certainly more capable in a lot of facets than Manuals and even DCTs, but people are going to have to start associating a different aural and tactile sensation with acceleration.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts