ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I was throwing my car around especially hard tonight on the back roads when I decided to call it enough and to go home. On my way home, I noticed that my steering started to suck. My car would pull very slightly to the left, but I didnt think much of it cause I knew I needed an alignment, and thought that tonight really did it for my car.

Side note: My tires are Yokohama AVS ES100s on stock 16" rims.

So as I'm driving home, I'm on my road and realize that yeah, something's not right with my car. I slow down to about 20 mph and really throw the wheel back and forth, swerving my car around back and forth across the (empty) road (no cars park on the road, either, and I was in an area where it was woods on both sides). Felt like my rear endlinks didn't exist.

Anyway, I pull into my driveway and decide to look under my car to see if my endlinks are gone again. As soon as I step out of the car, I hear a hissing noise. Great. Driver's side front tire is hissing. Bye bye Yoko's.

So now I have a flat tire. Whats the best way to replace this? It took about 4 days to order the tires to the shop I get work done at. Should I order it to my dealership and have them install it? (I also need new brakes and an alignment so they could do that all as well).

Last question.... I'm running 1.8" drop in the front and 1.5" drop in the rear with a little bit of neg. camber in the back. Will replacing only 1 tire (even though its in the front) affect the wear of the others, and therefore affect my diffs? or is that only an issue in the back? Should I replace both front tires? I only have about 3,000 miles on the tires and there isn't much wear.

How should I go about solving this tire problem? Order 1, order 2? Overnight some Yokos to the dealer?

This sucks...OEM tires were a lot easier to deal with.

Thanks for the help.

-Josh

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Get your tire fixed w/some fixflat and then order yourself a back up...that should work unless its shreaded.

good luck. Lemme know if you need some help.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Is the hole in the tread or the sidewall? If it's in the tread it can be patched. If it's in the sidewall you screwed, and need a new tire. I just replaced one of my tires and now my car pulls to the right. I am still on RE92's.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Replacing one tire can put added stress on your differentials. Since the tires are now different sizes, the diffs are constantly sensing a difference in wheelspeed, and thus, are constantly active.

If you need to get a new tire, get it shaved a bit so it's closer to the proper circumfrence.

Patching the tire is a better idea.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Thus proving why you should have stayed and made fun of those guys with me at Chandra's house....because it got really funny. Bummer about your car though, I don't know why I'm posting cause I can tell you this in person tommorow. um...bye I guess?

:confused:

~Tim

·
Registered
444 Posts
If you didn't ruin the tire driving on it low on pressure and it has to be replaced, it must be within 3/32nds of the other three tires tread depth or it can ruin your differential. That's a long sentence.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts