Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of gas mileage does the WRX get? And does it require premium (92 octane or greater) fuel?

Thanks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I thought it required 91, and you could use 89 if you got the 2.5 RS. The turbo I thought required the better fuel.

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
Ummm I'd only put 91 or higher in mine no matter what the manual said...the higher octane will help prevent detonation and although it'll survive with less than 91, good luck when you turn up the boost and such...

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts

·
2,210 Posts
lyonsd said:
How many gallons does the fuel tank hold?
Of the top of my head, I'm gonna say 16. Someone will probably correct me with the exact capacity. I believe there is a gallon or more than sits out of reach of the strainer, to prevent sucking water, dirt, etc.

-Pace

·
Registered
18 Posts
My Manual says Premium 91 octane or higher fuel only.
It also goes on to say that for short periods one can if no premium is available use lesser grade fuel.

Regarding mileage:
I have a long commute (reason I bought this "fun" car and average so far around 22-23 mpg

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I test drove a WRX wagon with manual tranny today. It pulls pretty good once it's into boost. Real doggy in the higher gears though. But I never got to any highways speeds.

What's the difference in performance between the auto and the manual?

I wouldn't mind having it at all. Although it doesn't look like my wife is going to go for it.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
It pulls MUCH harder once you drop in an MBC for <$50. Test driving a stock rex is impressive, but a go for a ride in a BPUed (basic perfromance upgraded) version and it'll blow your mind!

I can't wait to see my fuel economy once I get my uppipe, and downpipe in. If I can stay out of the boost it should be 30+ mpg.

The difference between the auto and manual is drastic. I was pretty disappointed with the auto in 2nd gear when I test drove it. Again, an MBC will help, but not as much. Wife doesn't drive stick? ;)

-Jim

·
895 Posts
PlatinumWRX said:

I can't wait to see my fuel economy once I get my uppipe, and downpipe in. If I can stay out of the boost it should be 30+ mpg.

-Jim
...you kidding me? are the cats in the car hurting fuel economy that much?

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Penguinking said:
...you kidding me? are the cats in the car hurting fuel economy that much?
Anytime you improve air flow, be it intake or exhaust, you will see an increase in HP and fuel economy. When I had full exhuast put on my '87 Toro and built a K&N cold air intake for it, my mileage increased from an AVERAGE of 18mpg to 20mpg and that's mainly short trips. I can only imagine how much better the cruising efficiency of the WRX will become!

-Jim

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
PlatinumWRX said:
Does the up- and downpipe get rid of the cat?

Wife doesn't drive stick?
Yes. But she doesn't like shifting.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
the manuel says 91+ and even the inside of the gas cap door says premium only for those who forget..i get around 20 city and 22highway maybe more highway mostly i drive city

1 - 20 of 21 Posts