Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok again being new to the WRX scene, (and learning) I helped a buddy put a profec b on his subi, and we were doing the initial test run. At 17 psi at wot, he experienced the sudden shudder we get on our 1g dsms (yes its true i dont have a wrx i have an eagle talon.) typically known as fuel cut.

Have any of you experienced fuel cut in your wrx's? if so at what boost level, and what mods?

What have you done to counter the fuel cut? (we use a modified mas, or get rid of the mas completely and go with an HKS setup.)

Also ssince i am learning here, On our cars (DSMs) we generally run 17 lbs of boost safely without the need for an upgraded fuel pump, or bigger injectors and an AFC. What are your experiences with the WRX? what boost levels do you run safely, and what mods (and in what steps) do you normaly perform?

What kind of performance increases do you get with each mod?

(My buddies wrx has an injen intake, a 3" turbo back exhaust, profec b controller boost and a/f gauge)

Any info would be great!

Oh what are you all doing for the annoying CE light when you upgrade to a turbo back exhaust?

lemme know....

ps, click the "greg's wrx link on my web page to see his car.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Don't know...

... but I can tell you that: some people already asked me if my WRX is a Neon 2002 when they look at the front. I bet you anything with those white lines across the car, your friend will get that too. I like the tinting. Nice car.
The Turbo is EJ20, I think. Anybody, who makes that turbo? Reliability? Any review on it? Thanks.

·
Registered
218 Posts
the turbo is made by mitsubishi, td04 in my opinion i think its total crap. i believe they were on the 3000gts vr4.
ej20 is the engine code.

·
Registered
73 Posts
imho, those white stripes on your friends WRX are hideous.....a viper it is not. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
333 Posts
As T1 said, Impreza turbos are made by Mitsubishi (ironic dontcha think?) No wonder WRC Imprezas use IHI turbos.
WRX= EJ20T
2.5 RS= EJ25

In other parts of the world you also have
EJ20 (not T... its also available in NA)
EJ18
EJ16
All available in Imprezas....

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I don't think the WRX has the right lines for "racing stripes." I'm assuming those things are decals because they don't appear very straight. To each their own, but that's the second ugliest WRX I've ever seen, with the puke orange/altezza tail-light Japanese show car still in the lead position.

To answer the topic of the post, the general consensus on maximum safe boost with the stock turbo is 17 psi. The computer will cut the fuel at 7,200rpm, 19 psi, or when there is large difference in the ambient atmospheric pressure and the manifold air pressure. I'd keep the boost to about 16.5psi if I were Greg. Anything above that is a waste with the stock turbo.

-Jim

·
Registered
306 Posts
Yeah

That orange thing... I bought a review yesterday. It was in there. The guys who painted were like "the color is stock so we know it just doesn't cut it".... what the hell??!??! And the original color was silver, like mine. What are those guys thinking? Smoking their own hair or what?! And then you have kids who are dying to buy a WRX and when they see stuff like that, they want to go postal. But you know how it goes, colors and tastes..... I may be "too" conservative. I'm not crazy either.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ahh yes the "stripes"

Well I knew a lot of you might not like the stripes. Understandable. But in Gregs defence the picture I took does take on a little "wave" when viewed in the browser.

All In all when he mentioned the striping concept for his car, I was like"nooooo!" but now that I see it every day I think it looks pretty cool. But to answer the question on them, yes they are decals that can be easily removed.

Sorry didn't mean to spin the purist of the group up hehe.. ;)

Thanks for the reply on the boost levels tho! :)

·
Registered
333 Posts
Man.... I´m in shock or something and everything said about Greg´s WRX/"Viper" mongrel (halfbreed just does not cut it) is understated.... How could he do that to such an awesome car... that blue is perfect for the car.... Someday Greg will be brought to reckon before God (not you Dan) and he´ll be punished.... :D

Seriously though Frank, be a pal and get Greg drunk.... while he´s out for the count remove the lines (they are removable right?) and say some punk kid came and stole them!!! ;)
Besides the stripes, cool car though...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hehe..

Hey now, ya know those stripes draw high school chicks like a moth to a flame!! hehe :D

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Well, if you have to leave the stripes, at least leave about 1/2 to an inch of space around the subaru name. Make sure the 'stangs know what just ate their lunch!:D

·
Registered
151 Posts
Back to the topic at hand

You hit fuel cut anytime the map voltage sustains over 4.7 volts for more than 2 seconds at sea level.

This will come at different places on different cars, but there is some strange setup where the voltage required to hit fuel cut is actually lowered at altitude by a bit. I have hit fuel cut as low as 11psi at 13000 feet. That makes no sense, but thats the way it works.

I no longer have fuel cut on my car...

·
Registered
310 Posts
Actually I think you can fool ppl to think it is a Neon RT and blow their doors off easily.

Turbo cars are fun, I used to own a 1st gen Talon TSI and loved it. My next car of cause will be a WRX :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
FC defencer...

Two things, on the DSMs the FC defencer was a BAD idea, but that might not be the case here. (I don't know WRXs well enough to say). But if it is safe to mod the system a bit to allow a little more boost, then what / how would you mod the mas signal? Details please..

Thanks

·
Registered
151 Posts
If your going to do it you simply need to buy a voltage clamp from a radio shack or you can buy the same thing from HKS for much, much more.

The FC on a DSM is a little different situation and comes into play when you start to send more air into the system than the injectors can provide fuel for. On the WRX its simply a map based fuel cut at a set boost pressure.

That said, i still suggest having a unichip or something tuned for the extra boost.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts