ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guy's, it's been a minute since I have posted. What's been going on? :)

I got a question. Last night, I ran against my buddies 95' M3 on this old two-lane highway, no traffic. It is basically a back road and hardly ever has cars on it, especially at night. We raced from a roll and I had him until I hit 130ish and then bam, engine shut down temporarily, till about 115-120 mph! I assumed this was the fuel cut but I never got a CEL and I am running a Cobb stage 2, 93 octane map which I thought took care of the fuel cut. My real concern is that over the summertime, we did the same thing on the turnpike and I hit 135mph and backed off myself but never hit a cut. I found that extremely wierd and just concerns me, is there something possibly wrong. Does anyone have a clue as to why this occurred. My mods are in my profile but I have basically have as far as performance mods an 04 sedan, auto tranny, catless uppipe, fully catless turboback and Cobb AccessPort Stage 2 93 oct.

And before this starts anything out of hand, I know that going that fast is unsafe but let all not be naive, we bought sports cars for a reason. You have open it up every once in awhile. Just do it safely which I do and I hardly ever do it. And you can't get anymore safe than on this old highway.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Drive safely. =P

Anyhows, I've seen stockers run to about 115-125 and never hit a fuel cut causing the engine to shut down until it attains normal driving condtions. I'm not too familiar with a auto 4EAT setup, but since you did not throw a CEL it could possibly be the auto tranny having trouble maintaining speeds that high or maybe even a rev limiter (which I doubt) or a speed governor (which I also doubt) but could potentially be the problem. They seem like the most feasible conclusions to the problem you seem to be having. You're running a catless setup with a 93 map on Cobb Stage 2, I have never ever seen engines shut down because they hit and maintain 130. Seen them do it on the track for extended periods of time without problem. My bet is that it's not entirely an engine problem, maybe something with the 4EAT setup that is causing it. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, Ether.
I don't believe there is a problem per say with my motor but it could be because of the tranny. I definitely know it was the motor whoa-ing up, she had plenty of range to go. It was crazy though, jerked my girlfriend and I forward!! Speed was climbing fast as hell, flat road....120,125,130... Boom. . . nothing! I dunno. Hope I can figure it out.

Like I said, I don't really go that fast, this was like only the second time I had her above 120mph but that pissed me off. I WANNA RACE THE EXCELLA TRAIN COMING OUT OF PHILLY!!!!! J/K Extra bragging rights with the old muscle heads and Vette guys would be kind of nice though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Over-Boost ???

hiya

I'm new to this forum. Saw ya posting.
I'm doing 1.45 bar on my sti one day,,, boost cut (guess at 1.45 bar) & Engine Chk Light surfaced. Reckon it's over-boost for my Euro STi. Have to re-set to get rid of the chk light.

btw, pls share with me wat's CEL?
Thx.

04silver bullet said:
Thanks for the reply, Ether.
I don't believe there is a problem per say with my motor but it could be because of the tranny. I definitely know it was the motor whoa-ing up, she had plenty of range to go. It was crazy though, jerked my girlfriend and I forward!! Speed was climbing fast as hell, flat road....120,125,130... Boom. . . nothing! I dunno. Hope I can figure it out.

Like I said, I don't really go that fast, this was like only the second time I had her above 120mph but that pissed me off. I WANNA RACE THE EXCELLA TRAIN COMING OUT OF PHILLY!!!!! J/K Extra bragging rights with the old muscle heads and Vette guys would be kind of nice though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts