Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Not a mod... or is he? Or, is he not?
15,755 Posts
Use the fuel it's tuned for. Personally I like to use the newest gas stations or ones I know have been maintained.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

· Registered
3,060 Posts
Do you not have a WAWA near you, I would hit them for the hoagies alone. Otherwise, heed the advice above.

· Registered
3,060 Posts
In the other thread you stated " I live in Rochester, I have a 17 Rex. Mods so far: Cobb AP, Cobb big SF intake, Grimmspeed Catted J-Pipe, Borla S-type exhaust. Stage 2+ 91 Octane. Winter tires will go on when the weather starts gettin bad. The NY state inspections arent that bad, you ever see some of the **** boxes on the road. Keep it legit and run a Catted J-pipe and you will pass emissions."

So have you modded yet or not? Stage 2+ 91 Octane, when above you state 93 Octane. I'm just curious, please take no offense. My sense is that it will be an OTS tune running the 91 Octane Map for added security?

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In the other thread you stated " I live in Rochester, I have a 17 Rex. Mods so far: Cobb AP, Cobb big SF intake, Grimmspeed Catted J-Pipe, Borla S-type exhaust. Stage 2+ 91 Octane. Winter tires will go on when the weather starts gettin bad. The NY state inspections arent that bad, you ever see some of the **** boxes on the road. Keep it legit and run a Catted J-pipe and you will pass emissions."

So have you modded yet or not? Stage 2+ 91 Octane, when above you state 93 Octane. I'm just curious, please take no offense. My sense is that it will be an OTS tune running the 91 Octane Map for added security?
We Installed the J-pipe just today, I got in my buddies shop cuz he had last min cancelations and I was off. Officially stage 2+ Full tank of 93 Octane, I flashed to The Stage 2+ 91 Octane just for some added piece of mind. Very happy with everything. No mods for a bit. Maybe another Raceseng Shift Knob is it for a while

15,755 Posts
It depends on the specific station. There are a lot of speedway stations here that are not maintained, and have been caught several times cheating customers by running the counter when no fuel is flowing.

· Registered
768 Posts
I run 93 if I can, but most stations around here have 91, so I use that most of the time.

There was an article in NYT which implied that higher than 89 octane was not necessary except for very high-compression engines (e.g., Mustang Shelby GT350, Focus RS, Chevrolet Camaro ZL1, Corvette Z06) or pulling loads. (I don't know if the WRX would fit into this category.) The advice was, unless your car pings or skips, you would be OK with lower octane.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/23/a...gas-if-your-car-is-made-for-regular.html?_r=0

They did advise getting gas from a larger dealer with optimal additives.

I don't necessarily agree with this and don't plan to use lower-octane in the WRX, but there it is.

15,755 Posts
On an engine that requires 89 you won't see any real benefit in normal circumstances. However in our vehicles high octane is required because of the turbo.

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When I first picked up my WRX, I thought Runnin 91 Octane non-eth was the way to go. But since I am using Cobb AP The literature says to use 91/93 Octane 10% eth. I also verified this through cobb support. That bein said I will always opt for 93

· Super Moderator
3,430 Posts
I almost always use Sunoco. I try to never buy gas from a place that its main profit point is their food, not their gas. In my area there are 3 places I use and that's it. And they are Sunoco, Valero, and BP.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.