ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so iv heard that reducing the size of your front sway bar is the best way to reduce the famous subaru understeer. anyone else heard of this or know where you can find smaller front sway bars?? thanks

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Or you can increase the size of the rear. Or increase negative camber on the front wheels. Or adjust the tire pressure in either the front or back. All three ratios... camber, tire pressure, and sway bar size attribute to it.

Adding some nice springs would provably help. Gotta be nice ones though. I am fairly certain front to back spring rate affects it as well.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,217 Posts
so iv heard that reducing the size of your front sway bar is the best way to reduce the famous subaru understeer. anyone else heard of this
No. Ask for more details.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i was just wondering about the front sway bars i already have an upgraded rear sway bar

·
29,217 Posts
i was just wondering about the front sway bars i already have an upgraded rear sway bar
So the car still understeers? It will not be easy to use bars to eliminate understeer without losing independence and without making the car dart. I like understeer though, so I may be biased.

·
29,217 Posts
I believe your MR2 begs to differ...
My '85 was the most neutral of the MkI cars, and they responded to the casualty reports by mellowing out the 86+ cars. Similarly, the MkII cars before '93 were snappier, then they saw the luck was running out so for '93 they revised the rear, changed the geometry and added 225/50s on 7" rims. As a result, I kid you not, my '93 MR2 can understeer, especially on turn-in in the wet.

Maybe it's because I have had two MR2s that I like understeer?

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Look to other methods then - I wouldn't get a smaller sway bar. I'd get a custom alignment first. I doubt you have adjustable rear camber (and its not cheap to get), but you could easily add some negative camber to the front wheels. After that, I'd look into some quality springs.

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
My 2 cents - I love my current setup. It has almost completely eliminated that dreaded understeer....without overly compromising comfort.
Eibach Sway Bars (25F/22R), Kartboy Endlinks, Epic lowering springs, Whiteline Roll Center Adjustment Kit, GTSpec Front Strut Tower Bar, Kartboy rear subframe inserts, GTSpec Rear Sway Bar Reinforcement Brace

Edit: I also run with -1.2 camber, which made a HUGE difference for me (within -.8 is stock spec).<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> <!-- vBulletin.register_control("vB_ProfilefieldEditor", "8"); //--> </SCRIPT>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts