ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm new here.

Please could you help me? I've noticed over the last couple of days a knocking noise coming from the drivers side front suspension leg. It only happens when you are going slow in traffic, about 5mph. When I had a look today it sounds like its coming from the top mount - could this be possible? I have an 02 WRX STI Prodrive.

PS. I'm from the UK.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Anything is possible I suppose, there are so many pieces that could be making that sound that it is nearly impossible to just guess at it. I had a nocking noise pretty much just like you describe, it would knock when I was in 1st gear and taking of, sounded to me like a motor mound. But checked that and it wasn't it, I looked all over the suspension by getting the car on stands and couldn't really make anything knock. I left it like that for a while and the knock became more, it started to knock when going over large bumps. That's when I got mad and decided to take it to a mechanic to look at it. The mechanic got the car on the alignment lift and started to look things over, after about 15 minutes of checking and finding nothing, he tightened the crossmember bolts, that hold the crossmember to the chassis, and told me to go for a ride and come back. Lo and behold problem was solved, and that was about 8 months ago now, and it still good. I payed him 20 bucks for checking it out. I was going nuts trying to find out which part is making that noise, becasue it could be your tire rod, your axle, your pads in the caliper, the strut, the endlink bushings, the swaybar bushings, etc. I'd have a mechanic look at it, it shouldn't cost you much for him to look things over, 20mins and 20 bucks all it took to solve my issue. Unless you have a lift and a second person to look things over, its going to be mighty hard to diagnose it yourself.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts