ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can somebody post pics of your front slotted rotors. I just got my Carbotech Rotors put on by a friend and some people say there on wrong some say there on right. HELP:mad:

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
See mine are oposite of that, and the way I have them is the way the vendor told me to install them. Im confused.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok. After doing a Google search I found cars with the slots going both ways. Is there a correct way? Or does it depend on what rotors your using or what car your driving? Somebody please shed some light for me:confused:

·
Registered
888 Posts
It depends on the rotors. Ask Carbotech what is correct. Hell, some DBA rotors have the slots going in one direction and some have them going in the other direction.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
driggity said:
It depends on the rotors. Ask Carbotech what is correct. Hell, some DBA rotors have the slots going in one direction and some have them going in the other direction.
I asked subaruxtras where I got them and he said he "thinks" I have them on the right way. I would think a slotted rotor is a slotted rotor and there is only one right way to install them but I see them both ways....

·
Registered
888 Posts
The direction of the vanes (assuming that they're not straight) are more important than the direction of the slots. Do the slots go in the same direction as the vanes or across them?

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
driggity said:
The direction of the vanes (assuming that they're not straight) are more important than the direction of the slots. Do the slots go in the same direction as the vanes or across them?
Ummm im alittle confused. My rotors look just like coolblue's but my slots are going the other way, towards the back of the car.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Well his rotors are 2-piece stoptechs and yours are 1-piece carbotechs so they're definitely not the same. The important part to consider when orienting rotors is the directions of the vanes (assuming the vanes are in fact directional). This picture shows the difference between a directionally vaned AP rotor and a straight vaned OEM WRX rotor.

The curved vanes are designed to help "pump" air from the center of the rotor to the outer edge. This provides a great deal of convective cooling and is one of the main performance advantages of aftermarket rotors. If the rotors aren't oriented correctly and they have directional vanes they won't pump as much air and won't shed heat as quickly.

This picture shows how the vanes should be oriented

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
from tirerack: (i know they're not carbotechs)
Brembo Sport slotted brake rotors are sold in axle pairs and the easiest way to verify correct usage is to install the rotors on the side of the vehicle that results in the end of the slot nearest the outer edge of the rotor always contacting the brake pads first

From Baer:
http://www.baer.com/Support/TechTips.aspx?TechTipID=2

did you email [email protected]

·
Registered
888 Posts
Are those lines supposed to be at the top of the rotor? Cause if so its interesting that your "right" way is different than what AP, Prodrive, Wilwood, Stoptech, TWR, etc.. consider to be right. But like I said earlier its the directions of the vanes that are important, not the slots.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Dream-

I went through the same issue with my Carbotech rotors. I spoke with them directly after not having any luck on getting a definitive answer anywhere else and the way you have them mounted is correct according to the manufacturer.

-Andy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts