ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
front mount intercooler vs top mount intercooler, can somebody tell me the difference between the two,which are suited better for what and, whats the pros and cons for each,thanks and greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
Front mount goes in the bumper, top mount goes above the engine. Front mount is suited better for large turbos and drag racing, top mount is suited better for small/medium turbos and daily driving.

Pros of FMIC, larger core, increased cooling capacity, less prone to heat soak due to location. Cons of FMIC, increased piping adds lag, requires cutting your bumper to install, compromises front end rigidity, slightest front end collision results in several thousand dollars worth of damage.

Pros of TMIC, snappier throttle response, factory mounting location so little to no fabrication required for install, does not require removal of front bumper beam. Cons of TMIC, cooling capacity not suited to large turbos (30r, 35r, etc), prone to heatsoak while sitting still.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for informative info, so like the noob i am i rushed and bought a FMIC before even coming to this site, basically im a noob when it comes to cars, modding and the whole race scene, i would like to dig into this scene any helpful tips on what right and first steps are to doing mods, money is not an issue only lack of knowledge is,thanks i appreciate it

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,225 Posts
thanks for informative info, so like the noob i am i rushed and bought a FMIC before even coming to this site, basically im a noob when it comes to cars, modding and the whole race scene, i would like to dig into this scene any helpful tips on what right and first steps are to doing mods, money is not an issue only lack of knowledge is,thanks i appreciate it
If money is not an issue buy a different car, something rare enough to make modifications sacrilegious or satisfying enough to make them unnecessary.

If money is an issue read the link in my signature for any/all info. Then carefully examine what you would like to do, placing "Nothing" at the top of the list and working down from there.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
Yeah, if money wasn't an issue I'd probably throw the WRX under a tarp and buy a 911 GT2 RS and a Jeep SRT10 to mod, then something like a new BMW M5 for a daily driver. The WRX would sadly be neglected.. or maybe I would turn it into a rally car...

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,225 Posts
I'd buy a Royale, a series II DB4GT Zagato, a Miura, and I'd hire a chauffeur for commuting.

If money is an issue with NASA it is likely an issue for everyone in this thread...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts