ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about what mods I want on my STI and to be honest, I'm happy with how much power and control it has currently, so as far as performance I just want a COBB AP to flash a stage one map for the time being. But another mod I really want to look into is a nice light bar in the front of my car. My headlights are fine, and do get the job done right, but I would like some very very strong lights on dark backroads alone at night. If anyone can suggest some nice products out there I'd appreciate it.

Also, I'm pretty sure these are illegal in NJ where I'm located, but I would only be using them on back roads when no other vehicles are in sight.

thanks for any help

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
im from the jeep world and i play around with lighting every now and then lol. i had 6 hella 500's on my 1st and second jeep and right now i have 2 hella 700's. im sure they already make light bars like a front bumper style and then just find some nice lights and install them. not the hardest mod. the light wiring is simple, just make sure your grounds are good. i usually just wire mine to the battery and have a switch inside so i can run it with the car off

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
PIAA / Hella are common lights

Rally Innovations makes lightbars, and I'm not sure of any others (you can probably get a custom one made up pretty easily).

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank guys. So pretty much go with any aftermarket product I like, then choose some lights. And I can go about wiring myself? Just wire it to the battery, then run a wire through the firewall and install a switch inside.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
yea most lighting companys give u all the wires u need and the switch and simple instructions. youlll just need wire crimpers and u can use shrink wrap to give it a cleaner looking look. if you know any friends that can weld just get some metal and make your own light bar then paint it and stick your lights on. will be cheaper and work just as well

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
Rally Innovations is very good, and probably the most well known. Gorilla Offroad makes a "urban assault vehicle" sort of lightbar, in case you uh... need a winch on your STI or something...

For what it's worth, I have Hella 500s (the fog light version) on my car, and they've been great. They make a driving beam version as well, which I believe GarrettKoonsman on here has. Not bad for $60 on Amazon.

I would consider the PIAAs to be a bit upmarket than the Hellas. Sturdier materials, etc. This is also reflected with a somewhat higher price. Obviously, the sky is the limit as far as prices and features go for either brand.

By the way, as stated earlier, wiring them is pretty straightforward. I was actually able to use my car's OEM wiring since the lights use the same wattage bulbs as OEM. You won't have that luxury, but the kit will come with about 90% of what you need. You'll need a ring lug to go over the battery terminal, and then heat shrink to weather protect everything. Do cheap out on the harness. A short in a wiring harness, and your car could be a pile of ash. It can and has happened before. Heat shrink over every joint and connector. Anything you can't heat shrink, wrap in electrical tape. You want it to be as water-tight as possible.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
None of my friends weld so this is something I cannot fabricate myself, sadly. But, that pic of the lightbar on that subi is exactly what I'm looking for....minus the winch hahaha

·
Registered
316 Posts
Just wire it to the battery, then run a wire through the firewall and install a switch inside.
This is a very poor way of wiring driving lights. Most places require that driving lights can only be on with the high beams and must shut off as soon as you go to low beam. To do this properly you will have to use a relay. Take a wire from the high beam light through a fuse to the driving light switch and then to the coil on the relay. The other side of the coil goes to ground. Then you can take a wire from the battery through a fuse to one side of the relay contacts. On the other side of the contacts take the wire to the driving lights.

drivinglight_wiring_diagram.gif

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
yea i always use a relay for all my lights and run an inline fuse for the power and if there is power to the switch if the switch lights up. and i keep the relays and fuses in the engine bay and have only the switch wires going in through the fire wall

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
This is a very poor way of wiring driving lights. Most places require that driving lights can only be on with the high beams and must shut off as soon as you go to low beam. To do this properly you will have to use a relay. Take a wire from the high beam light through a fuse to the driving light switch and then to the coil on the relay. The other side of the coil goes to ground. Then you can take a wire from the battery through a fuse to one side of the relay contacts. On the other side of the contacts take the wire to the driving lights.
I'm a visual sort of guy, so let me summarize this in an example wiring diagram (this is basically what Hella includes in their intructions). Hella will include what signal should go to what port on the relay and what size fuses you need, (I believe they are included along with the relay), but you get the idea with this.

wiring.jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts