ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What the heck size bolt/screw is needed, the hole is almost big enough to put a pinky finger in:confused: I just got my car registered and was about to put the plate on but the holes in the front are HUGE, i called subaru dealer and asked if i need a bracket to mount a plate and they said u just use the holes. help is appreciated.

·
Registered
11,850 Posts
Mine wasn't like that. It was a larger screw but not anywhere near pinky size.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have 4 holes in my front license plate mount. Two of them are huge. The other two are smaller and were the ones used to hold on my plate.

·
Registered
884 Posts

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
i went to wall mart and got those little suction cup things and put them through the holes in the plate, then stuck it to the inside of my windsheild. my uncle is a state trooper and comfirmed that it is legal, the front plate has to be forward facing but not nessearilly at the front of the car ill post pics if you want

Matt

·
Registered
884 Posts
yea mine is on my front dash board. its not really that visable cause its almost flat. but i have never had a problem. if you get pulled over and your plate is in the car say ur on your way to getting some front screws hahaha

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
i went to wall mart and got those little suction cup things and put them through the holes in the plate, then stuck it to the inside of my windsheild. my uncle is a state trooper and comfirmed that it is legal, the front plate has to be forward facing but not nessearilly at the front of the car ill post pics if you want

Matt
In Jersey? I'd like to see a pic or two. That sounds like a good idea.

·
Registered
593 Posts

like that, oh and not jersey but texas. i would imagine the law is the same. my plate it propped up on the windsheild you can see it and read it perfectly if you are coming at the car.

Matt

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
I know some cops who would write an obstruction of view ticket for that. My step-brother(Ocean County Prosecuters Office-Investigator) and his uncle(Belmar-Cheif of Police) are both in law enforcement.

Sure, you could fight the ticket in court - and you might beat it. But the officer can use the plate as his reason to pull you over, and then he can say your composure/attitude gave cause for concern .... - long story short, cops have plenty of freedom and I wouldn't be giving them any easier excuses to pull me over. "Probable Cause" and "Officers Discretion" are big nasty grey areas.

Note the lack of tint/neon/bov/large spoiler/grapefruit canon on my car? Law Enforcement is a significant part of the reason behind that. I have the metal family member card, and PBA cards, which help to a point in some situations - but rather than deal with the hassle and waste of time I'll stay off the radar.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
I dig the pics...and definitely a good idea if it works for you, but like Micah said, I don't think we could get away with that in Jersey.

Cops in all districts around here love "probable cause" :sadwave:

·
Registered
884 Posts
yea u could get away with itin nj, iv had my front plate on my dashboard for a year now and never once have i gotten pulled over for it. i even got a speeding ticket and the cop didnt say anything about my plate being where it was.

·
Registered
593 Posts
man thats no fun. sounds like they are ticket nazis up there. i had a cop ask me how i put it up there so he could do it on his civic down here. and like i said my uncle is a state trooper and he likes the way it looks. man my car is dirty. anyways heres a pic from the front. very easy to read, there is even come condensation on the window and its still easy to read.

Matt

·
Registered
884 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
In California, you must have a license plate mounted to the front of your vehicle. Also, it's illegal to mount anything to your windshield (ie license plate w/ suction cups). Again, this is just in California. :mad:

Right now, I don't have a plate on the front. But then again, my plates from the DMV haven't even showed up yet. I'm not sure what i'll do once I get my plates.

·
Registered
593 Posts
i have a carbon fiber plate that i made i just havent put it on yet, havent had the time to, over christmas it will be going on, ill post some pics when i do.

Matt

·
Registered
593 Posts
my advice would be to stay legal and stay low profile, the more you do to attract attention the more you are going to attract and that can normally go both ways. good and bad. so i would say to do whats legal in your state and keep the moeny you save from not getting tickets and making your insurance more expensive for parts!

Matt

·
Registered
2 Posts
Colorado Problems

I attached my front license plate to my windshield with suction cups, like the guy from TX, and I got a ticket last night. Apparently, CO is like CA in that you have to affix the plate on the proper front bumper of the car. So now I'm back to square one, still looking for a way to attach my damn plate to my front bumper cover, but I'm $30 lighter.

I'm going to contest this, because the language on the actual statute is this...

"7.9 LICENSE PLATES
Any motor vehicle owned by a Colorado resident cannot
be parked or driven on a public street or highway unless
it is properly registered in Colorado and displays Colorado
license plates. If you own a motor vehicle, you must
register the vehicle in the county in which you live. (See
the county office locations in the Service Center Guide.)
The signed registration card must be carried in the vehicle
or in the possession of the operator whenever the vehicle
is being operated.
The license plates must be fastened horizontally, in a
manner to prevent swinging, at a height of at least 12 inches
from the ground. They must be clearly visible and kept
clean and legible. Vehicles must have plates attached to
both the front and rear of the vehicle.
Exceptions: Motorcycles, trailers, and semitrailers must
have one plate attached to the rear, semi-tractors must have
one plate attached to the front. Temporary (paper) license
plates should be attached in a place clearly visible on the
rear of the vehicle."

I assert that my horizontally-mounted plates are in both the front and back, and that they are not loose, hanging, swinging, etc. They're also definitely 12" off the ground :)

Please let me know if you've tried to fight this before, or at least let me know where I can get screws for this damn front plate!

Cheers

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
What the heck size bolt/screw is needed, the hole is almost big enough to put a pinky finger in:confused: I just got my car registered and was about to put the plate on but the holes in the front are HUGE, i called subaru dealer and asked if i need a bracket to mount a plate and they said u just use the holes. help is appreciated.
To actually help the OP, rather than just argue/brag about front plate laws:

Just drive it to the hardware store and have the guy help you find the right size screw. Simple.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts